Hurricane Florence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2018, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2018 07:49 PM by DLJ.)
Hurricane Florence
Anyone in it's path? If so, what are your plans? Outtathereligioncloset, you're inland aren't you?

Edit (for those who do not follow local news):
Hurricane Florence: over 1m ordered to evacuate in Virginia and Carolinas

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2018, 07:41 PM
RE: Hurricane Florence
I am roughly 135 miles inland. My father and brother live about 100 miles closer to the beach. I do NOT like having them so close to the oncoming storm but Daddy will not leave and we couldn't get his wheelchair up into our house if he were willing. He is too far away for them to call for evacuation and far too close for comfort.

Our house is over 100 years old so to put it bluntly, it is built better than most newer homes. Which is not to say it is immune by any means. But it has "weathered" Hurricane Hazel (1954), Hurricane Floyd (1987) and Hurricane Fran (1996). They are saying this will be worse than Hazel and that is the worst one ever to hit this far inland. The older people here still talk about that. Hazel lifted a huge tree in our yard u to expose the roots but it survived it, and it smacked the main roof with a big enough limb to break a massive sized rafter. Floyd left most of us without power for close to two weeks. Fran put a good sized pecan tree of ours down on the house behind us but fortunately it mostly just clipped a corner and supported itself on the ground by the angle of the branches. Which made it a real challange to get down off the house safely. Both times hubby and his chain saw were in high demand. Until there was no more gas for it and the gas stations couldn't pump any more without power.

We had two HUGE willow oaks when we bought this house in 1987. Fran killed one and Floyd killed the other. By killed I mean they took some limbs down and it took about two years for each of them to visibly fully die to the point of having to spend BIG BUCKS to have them cut down. About a year ago we had most of the branches of our front line of trees cut back from anywhere near the house.

This far inland we get high winds and heavy rain and power outages. They are already announcing school closings all around us starting Thursday. And some closing early Wednesday.

Prep-wise right now, we have a generator and about two days worth of gas for it. Hubby feels that keeping any more cans than that would start to be a fire hazard. Our vehicles have full tanks. We have propane lanterns and solar lanterns ready to use. NOBODY has any ice left. My trip to Walmart Sunday had nothing on the bread aisle, nothing on the water aisle, nothinhg on the chips aisle or lunchmeat aisle, no propane (for our cookstove) and something I'd never seen before----the canned food aisle had nothing left except artichokes and mushrooms.

Before the storm gets here we will fill the bathtub. I spent today gathering up things from the yard and porch to keep them from becoming projectiles in the wind. I am trying to get the drugstore to fill three prescriptions for me a few days early just in case. They are balking. We have plenty of dog food. And adequate cash. After being without power for a few days after either Floyd or Fran our local Food Lion opened up for cash only customers. They would let in a few people at a time, guide them with flashlights and use calculators to add up their NON-perishable purchases. They gained a WHOLE lot of local loving for that decision. And I was proud and impressed at how patiently people waited their turn in a long line for that.

As usual whenever power outages are expected we worry about my bestie who lives alone and uses an oxygen machine at night.

Tomorrow I will try to remember to get batteries for the portable radio, make sure all cell phones and the laptop computer are fully charged (although I don't know what use the latter will be without wifi service) and continue to fill and refill all my ice trays to try to get as much built up as possible. And turn my fridge and freezer to colder settings to try to give them a head start on being without power other than an occasional generator boost.

Shelters around here won't let us bring our dogs. So we are here for the get go, no matter what. We are nowhere near a body of water that would cause the house to flood but our yard and road can get pretty well drowned anyway. All our phones and electricity are on wired on poles, no underground for us poor town people. Which means the power will likely get smacked off pretty quickly and they will take their time getting to us since we don't have a medical or emergency facility that will need to be brought back up quickly.

I guess we are about as prepared as we can get. We shouldn't starve. Or dehydrate. The heat could be unbearable. The already insecure dogs (especially poor Briscoe the rescue who still doesn't fully believe he's here to stay) will likely freak out. We have one downstairs interior room without windows tat has no exterior walls. We will bunker down in that (the laundry room) on a blow up mattress if need be, during the worst of it. We're bracing for it. It's gonna be bad.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
[+] 5 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
11-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Evacuate early!! During Irma, I discovered too late that last minute evacuation was not an option because the roads were too crowded and that there were no hotels with vacancy until well into Alabama.

My strategy of ignoring my problems until they disappear never seems to work out for me. ...I'll try to get around to dealing with that in the near future.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
11-09-2018, 08:02 PM
I don't have much family left on the Outer Banks but I do worry about the storm heading inland since I have family in North and South Carolina.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. -JF
11-09-2018, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2018 08:22 PM by outtathereligioncloset.)
Post Fran and Floyd (and after several bad snow incidents as well) we actually WERE the unofficial shelter even though we had no power for a lot of it. In a pinch our house can sleep 8 in beds, 2 to 3 more on couches and then a whole lot of floor space for blow up beds (we have a queen a double and a single of those). Other than the brittle 100+ year old window panes, we're built pretty solid.

Correction to distances stated earlier---we are about 160 miles inland and daddy is about 75 miles inland. Still enough to be a problem with a storm this big.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
11-09-2018, 08:24 PM
(11-09-2018 08:04 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Post Fran and Floyd (and after several bad snow incidents as well) we actually WERE the unofficial shelter even though we had no power for a lot of it. In a pinch our house can sleep 8 in beds, 2 to 3 more on couches and then a whole lot of floor space for blow up beds (we have a queen a double and a single of those). Other than the brittle 100+ year old window panes, we're built pretty solid.

My husband's family all live in Columbia South Carolina so they're pretty much out of the storms main path. But I heard it may stall inland and dump a couple feet of rain. Take care of yourself and keep your dogs safe.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
11-09-2018, 08:43 PM
Stay safe!

Almost meeting hurricane Lane was enough to scare the stuffing out of me.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-09-2018, 06:28 AM
So it looks like the WH transferred 10 Million from FEMA to ICE.

I hope all affected evacuate early.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-09-2018, 06:33 AM
Note to self - don't buy any used cars from the Carolinas for a while.

Sad

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
12-09-2018, 01:54 PM
Anyone in the path should remember this phrase.

"Don't fuck with mother nature..... she has no sense of humor."

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!