Hurricane Harvey Facebook Posts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2017, 07:10 PM
RE: Hurricane Harvey Facebook Posts
(28-08-2017 05:59 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 05:51 PM)unfogged Wrote:  It's not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any manufacturer of dairy products.

You're milking this for all it's worth.

That's whey out of line, compadre.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
28-08-2017, 08:19 PM
(28-08-2017 07:10 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 05:59 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  You're milking this for all it's worth.

That's whey out of line, compadre.

Baaaaaaaah.
[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
29-08-2017, 05:18 AM
(28-08-2017 01:59 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Isn't there a line in the bible somewhere like "Rain falls on the just and unjust alike"? Sounds like a Proverb.

The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella
But mostly on the just because
The unjust steals the just's umbrella

Spike Milligan if I recall correctly.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
29-08-2017, 05:31 AM
(29-08-2017 05:18 AM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 01:59 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Isn't there a line in the bible somewhere like "Rain falls on the just and unjust alike"? Sounds like a Proverb.

The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella
But mostly on the just because
The unjust steals the just's umbrella

Spike Milligan if I recall correctly.

Older than that. It was some judge famous for his pithy comments.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-08-2017, 06:07 AM
While the liberal left avoids using God to threaten others, it is still the same book the right uses to place blame, and both use "mysterious ways", to avoid facing the fact that that is just a gap answer and not an explanation.

I will most certainly value the empathy in my species but it isn't being handed down to us from above. It isn't written in any holy writing of any religion in our species history. Our ability to be compassionate is in our genes as individuals.

Hurricanes are not punishment nor are they a god's 'mysterious ways" even if you are not using a holy book to threaten others to fall in line. Hurricanes don't need Poseidon as a starting point either. Lightening doesn't need Thor as an explanation either.

Hurricanes happen for the same reason storms happen on Jupiter, because weather exists. It does not help our species to continue to ignore climate change regardless. I love my well intended liberal side of my species, but even they fail to see, as much as they like to use their holy book to justify inclusion and pluralism, it is still the same book the other side uses to sell fear and exclusion.

But since I am under no illusions that any religion can be forced out of existence, the one thing that must always be fought is anyone trying to use it in politics to sell fear and fascism and bigotry.

I wont lie to my well intended liberal friends either. I find no logic in the claim it was all set up by an all powerful god. Allowing natural disasters like hurricanes that flood and damage and kill, would be to me like a lifeguard at your local swimming pool allowing a kid to drowned when it didn't have to.

The only difference between the theist and the atheist, is that we don't assign the good or bad in life to old mythology. But we certainly do care as much as theists claim to care.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post