Hurricane Irene

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Hurricane Irene
For those of you in the path of the storm, I hope you're managing to stay safe.

So far where I am (just north of Philadelphia) we're getting hit with a deluge but nothing worse than what we've had in the past. Winds are not even that strong yet. Supposed to pick up over night, though. My area has mostly power-poles vs. buried lines so we are fully expecting to lose power at some point in the next 12 hours. If we don't, fantastic, but we're working on the assumption that we will wake up without power and be without for 48 hours.

The good news is that we're supposed to have a nice day on Monday. I've got a batter back-up for my sump-pump so, despite living in a flood plane, even if we fall behind the flow of water we will catch up by Monday. The current forecast has us at under 10 inches of rain in the next 24 hours. While that is a lot, it's not as bad as was originally forecast so I think my pump should be just fine. If we lose power I lose my well pump, which means I've got a limited water supply, but we bought a case of water so we should be ok. Basically, I'm ready for the storm.

Hope everyone else out there in the path is ready too. Everyone stay safe and dry. This storm is unbelievably huge but it should hit quickly and be gone by mid-morning, just leaving some residual rain but the worst should be over by 8 AM, hopefully.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2011, 06:35 PM
RE: Hurricane Irene
i heard there are potential tornados in the NW quadrant.

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
27-08-2011, 07:53 PM
New Castle Co. Delaware here. Getting ugly outside now and my sump is running every 2-3 minutes. My buddy in Kent Co just lost power at 9:25 EST and he says winds are howling and there was some nearby tornado activity. Here's hoping for the power to stay on so I don't have to bale water all night.
27-08-2011, 09:06 PM
We just came off a tornado warning here. Rain is hammering down around us and the wind is starting to blow. We've not lost power yet and my pump does not seem to be running too badly so that's good news. I've got a creek that runs next to my house and I was looking at it earlier and it was flowing pretty steadily. This afternoon it was dry. Hopefully it does not overflow and come up to the house. That would kind of suck. Can't see what it's doing now though, just too dark.

I think I'm going to turn in soon and just try to sleep through it. If a tornado or something comes, not really sure what I can do about it so I'll just put it out of my mind and ignore what's going on outside I guess. I've been through hurricanes before, and this is barely a hurricane by me, I think it's more of a tropical storm. Still dangerous to go outside but unless a twister lands on the house I think I'll be fine. Hopefully I'll have power in the morning. Fingers crossed.

Stay dry guys.

28-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Power went out around 3 AM and my back-up battery died sometime early this morning. Kept most of the water out of the basement but once the pump went, in came the water. 2 rugs and an old couch are officially toast. But, could have been worse. At least this stupid storm is over. Power came back around 12:30 so all things considered I'd say it wasn't too bad. Lost some old furniture but it happens.

28-08-2011, 05:53 PM
College Park, MD just outside of DC sitting in my car charging my phone off petrol. Power's been out going on 24 hours. I fully expect it to be out a week because PEPCO just fucking sucks that bad.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
28-08-2011, 09:21 PM
We had a stronger and slower typhoon hit Okinawa a few weeks ago... over 40 inches of rain and minimal damage. Houses in the US are built quickly and crappy, plus a lot of people seem to build houses in flood plains!

The US, it seems, is always unprepared for disaster, always scrambling at the last minute.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
29-08-2011, 08:54 AM
I wonder did these people 'deserve' this like the people in New Orleans?
29-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Oh man, like half of the counties of Maryland called off school today. For what?! Maybe counties near OC would make sense, but nothing happened elsewhere! Nothing has happened today but some wind! They seriously cancelled the first day of school for this?

Maryland is the biggest wimp when it comes to any natural, they'll cancel early for flurries starting at 2pm.

"Ford! There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."
~Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
29-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Is anyone from Vermont? A friend of mine is studying at the uni there. Our conversation cut out Early but from what she told me it sounded quite bad.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]