Hurricane Irene

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2011, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2011 04:48 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Hurricane Irene
(29-08-2011 12:56 PM)otaku_cj Wrote:  Oh man, like half of the counties of Maryland called off school today. For what?! Maybe counties near OC would make sense, but nothing happened elsewhere! Nothing has happened today but some wind! They seriously cancelled the first day of school for this?

Maryland is the biggest wimp when it comes to any natural, they'll cancel early for flurries starting at 2pm.

We do seem to be a State filled with pussy GirlyMen. Fortunately, we are also a State filled with some seriously butch ManlyGirls for counterbalance. My wife is one.Smile

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2011, 08:38 AM
(30-08-2011 04:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-08-2011 12:56 PM)otaku_cj Wrote:  Oh man, like half of the counties of Maryland called off school today. For what?! Maybe counties near OC would make sense, but nothing happened elsewhere! Nothing has happened today but some wind! They seriously cancelled the first day of school for this?

Maryland is the biggest wimp when it comes to any natural, they'll cancel early for flurries starting at 2pm.

We do seem to be a State filled with pussy GirlyMen. Fortunately, we are also a State filled with some seriously butch ManlyGirls for counterbalance. My wife is one.Smile

I never meet other Marylanders... I'm from Frederick, although I recently moved to Japan... I also lived in College Park... go Terps!

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
31-08-2011, 12:40 PM
(29-08-2011 01:19 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Is anyone from Vermont? A friend of mine is studying at the uni there. Our conversation cut out Early but from what she told me it sounded quite bad.
I am. Although I'm not there now. I live in NYC. My whole family is still there. It got really bad. My father was stuck at his house because all 5 of the roads leading away from his house were closed from road or bridge wash out. A big 'ole tree fell on my sister's car. The house I grew up in got at least 3 feet of water. Not sure on damages yet, but at the very least the furnace is probably destroyed as it is in the basement. My brother's farm flooded, losing everything that they couldn't harvest beforehand. He put his beehives up so hopefully they survived.

By Monday there were between 250 and 300 state and local roads closed, mostly due to wash out. Here are some pics if you're interested.
31-08-2011, 02:21 PM
(31-08-2011 12:40 PM)xander Wrote:  I am. Although I'm not there now. I live in NYC. My whole family is still there. It got really bad. My father was stuck at his house because all 5 of the roads leading away from his house were closed from road or bridge wash out. A big 'ole tree fell on my sister's car. The house I grew up in got at least 3 feet of water. Not sure on damages yet, but at the very least the furnace is probably destroyed as it is in the basement. My brother's farm flooded, losing everything that they couldn't harvest beforehand. He put his beehives up so hopefully they survived.

By Monday there were between 250 and 300 state and local roads closed, mostly due to wash out. Here are some pics if you're interested.

Im glad that your family are ok. Those pictures are unbelevible. Some look like the pictures you see after a massive earthquake. I'd heard it was bad but I hadn't realised the scale of just how bad it was.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
03-09-2011, 06:01 PM
(31-08-2011 08:38 AM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  I never meet other Marylanders... I'm from Frederick, although I recently moved to Japan... I also lived in College Park... go Terps!

My actuary brother has been in Tokyo for that last 3 years. We was born and raised in PG County and we take that attitude with us in all our endeavors. It has served us well. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
04-09-2011, 07:39 PM
(31-08-2011 12:40 PM)xander Wrote:  Here are some pics if you're interested.

Two things I never thought I'd hear in the same sentence: "Vermont" and "tropical storm". Those pictures are amazing. The destruction is just .... incredible - and horrific.

Sorry to hear about all the property damage but thankfully your family are all still alive. You can replace things, you can't replace people.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost