Hurricane Irma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2017, 11:09 PM
RE: Hurricane Irma
I thought I'd post this link to the Washington Post for all you Floridians who are in the path of the storm.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-...02b99dca1f

"Rush Limbaugh indicates he’s evacuating Palm Beach days after suggesting Hurricane Irma is fake news

I wrote on Wednesday about Rush Limbaugh's claim that the media is manufacturing unwarranted panic about Hurricane Irma as part of a plot to hype climate change, boost ratings and increase advertising revenue from businesses that stand to make money off purchases of batteries and bottled water.

Limbaugh then accused The Washington Post and other news outlets of twisting his words while simultaneously doubling down on his conspiracy theory on Thursday.

“I explained how severe weather events are opportunities for big ratings boosts in the media and explained how it happens,” he said. “I explained how severe weather events impact retailers and how some retailers are smart enough to coordinate advertising with television stations. It happens!”

Limbaugh said something else on Thursday: He indicated he is evacuating his Palm Beach mansion, from which he broadcasts daily, for "parts unknown."

“May as well go ahead and announce this,” he said. “I'm not going to get into details because of the security nature of things, but it turns out that we will not be able to do the program here tomorrow. ..."

What a moron.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2017, 12:38 AM
He's 30 years overdue for a very serious asskicking.
[+] 3 users Like I'mFred's post
09-09-2017, 02:42 AM
Folks,

Thank you Jesus, for sending us Irma. Facepalm

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
09-09-2017, 05:10 AM
(09-09-2017 12:38 AM)ImFred Wrote:  He's 30 years overdue for a very serious asskicking.

I say we place him on an alter and cut out his heart. With any luck, it will please Poseidon and the storm will divert itself.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
09-09-2017, 06:49 AM
(08-09-2017 03:03 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 02:55 PM)BnW Wrote:  You are just soooo not understanding this. They aren't going to a shelter. They were told they couldn't stay on their floor because the top 2 floors are the danger zones and my father in law said "bur that's where my bed is". So, fuck that idea.

They are in their upper 80s, and they are not budging. I suspect they have chained themselves to the railings to thwart any would be rescue attempt.

Nice people, but fucking stubborn.

Call the sheriff and report that they may be too confused to understand that they should evacuate. The police may be able to assess the situation and handle it "favorably."

It would take about 2 seconds to realize they aren't "confused". And, I wouldn't do that to them. I also don't get why a shelter is any safer than the concrete building they live in. The danger is being in Florida. There is probably no building in their area that is safer than any other.

It is what it is at this point. I couldn't get them out now if they did change their minds.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
09-09-2017, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2017 07:21 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(09-09-2017 06:49 AM)BnW Wrote:  I also don't get why a shelter is any safer than the concrete building they live in. The danger is being in Florida.

You are probably right, considering how big this storm is.

However, the storm surge is supposed to be up to 12 feet high along certain coastal areas. Those are much more dangerous areas than anywhere inland.

I wouldn't want to be hunkering down in a concrete building on Sanibel Island at this point, for instance, unless it was on the third floor.
09-09-2017, 07:28 AM
(09-09-2017 06:49 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 03:03 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Call the sheriff and report that they may be too confused to understand that they should evacuate. The police may be able to assess the situation and handle it "favorably."

It would take about 2 seconds to realize they aren't "confused". And, I wouldn't do that to them. I also don't get why a shelter is any safer than the concrete building they live in. The danger is being in Florida. There is probably no building in their area that is safer than any other.

It is what it is at this point. I couldn't get them out now if they did change their minds.

It depends on where they are in the wind and flooding path in relation to the storm. A shelter in the keys would be useless because it's in in a flood zone. A shelter in MIramar, or Pembroke Pines, FL has newer schools built off a flood zone with cinder block and reinforced with steel.

It's simply safer than other places. But it might also be worth mentioning that the shelter provides a safer place to stay, but it's not fool proof.

..... aaand the power just flickered for me. It's beginning.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
09-09-2017, 07:37 AM
(08-09-2017 02:55 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 01:08 PM)Aliza Wrote:  The shelters can be used as ride-out shelters if they don't want to pack and plan to stay. Go to their county website or the American Red Cross and get them the address of a shelter very close to them. They can bring a bridge chair and a deck of cards and stay only for the duration of the storm and then go right back home.

You are just soooo not understanding this. They aren't going to a shelter. They were told they couldn't stay on their floor because the top 2 floors are the danger zones and my father in law said "bur that's where my bed is". So, fuck that idea.

They are in their upper 80s, and they are not budging. I suspect they have chained themselves to the railings to thwart any would be rescue attempt.

Nice people, but fucking stubborn.

The survival instinct declines with age. That is usually a good thing, who wants to spend their golden years worrying about their pending death. They are saying: "We are old and we are dying soon. Evacuating is physically and psychologically draining. We'd rather go out without living through that nightmare".

They have a right to make that choice. In their upper 80s, packing and getting to the airport alone is tempting death from exhaustion. They don't actually have all the choices younger people assume they do. Losing their home and depending on others for the rest of their lives (no time to rebuild) is maybe not what they want to do with their life. Losing their partner at that age is devastating, better to go together. I don't think their decision is irrational or just being stubborn. It's a rational choice, given their ages. I don't think you have the right to mess with it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
09-09-2017, 07:40 AM
Stay safe all our Florida people...

...even Fred.

Let us know when you can how you are.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
09-09-2017, 09:16 AM
(09-09-2017 07:37 AM)Dom Wrote:  The survival instinct declines with age. That is usually a good thing, who wants to spend their golden years worrying about their pending death. They are saying: "We are old and we are dying soon. Evacuating is physically and psychologically draining. We'd rather go out without living through that nightmare".

They have a right to make that choice. In their upper 80s, packing and getting to the airport alone is tempting death from exhaustion. They don't actually have all the choices younger people assume they do. Losing their home and depending on others for the rest of their lives (no time to rebuild) is maybe not what they want to do with their life. Losing their partner at that age is devastating, better to go together. I don't think their decision is irrational or just being stubborn. It's a rational choice, given their ages. I don't think you have the right to mess with it.

I agree generally with this, but a good deal of your comments don't apply in this instance. But, it is what it is, I guess. They are in a fairly new, concrete facility that has staff. They are in independent living and the facility also has an assisted living section. The place was built probably in the last 10 years and I'm sure it can withstand the winds. They are a few miles inland, which is not optimal, but, it is what it is at this point.

I wish the best of luck to everyone in the storms path who couldn't get out. Stay safe, everyone.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post