Hurricane Irma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2017, 02:15 PM
RE: Hurricane Irma
(09-09-2017 02:05 PM)ImFred Wrote:  They're saying now that St Petersburg is going to get hit harder than Miami. Bad luck to go so far and still be in the path for a heavy wet hit. If you can keep rolling. Good luck.

Yup, we headed to St. Pete when the models predicted the storm to go up the east coast. Now it looks like the west coast might get hit harder. It could be we have to run one more time from our current location. Dodgy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
09-09-2017, 02:24 PM
(09-09-2017 07:28 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(09-09-2017 06:49 AM)BnW Wrote:  It would take about 2 seconds to realize they aren't "confused". And, I wouldn't do that to them. I also don't get why a shelter is any safer than the concrete building they live in. The danger is being in Florida. There is probably no building in their area that is safer than any other.

It is what it is at this point. I couldn't get them out now if they did change their minds.

It depends on where they are in the wind and flooding path in relation to the storm. A shelter in the keys would be useless because it's in in a flood zone. A shelter in MIramar, or Pembroke Pines, FL has newer schools built off a flood zone with cinder block and reinforced with steel.

It's simply safer than other places. But it might also be worth mentioning that the shelter provides a safer place to stay, but it's not fool proof.

..... aaand the power just flickered for me. It's beginning.

Stay safe Aliza!

And FC and everyone else in this monster's path

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-09-2017, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2017 03:41 PM by Aliza.)
(09-09-2017 02:15 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(09-09-2017 02:05 PM)ImFred Wrote:  They're saying now that St Petersburg is going to get hit harder than Miami. Bad luck to go so far and still be in the path for a heavy wet hit. If you can keep rolling. Good luck.

Yup, we headed to St. Pete when the models predicted the storm to go up the east coast. Now it looks like the west coast might get hit harder. It could be we have to run one more time from our current location. Dodgy

Jump on I4 and head up to Daytona!

Edited to add: On second thought, cancel that advice. The storm seems to be following you. Stay on the west coast. Tongue
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
09-09-2017, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2017 03:39 PM by Aliza.)
(08-09-2017 06:39 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  They just had a report on the news about the animals in the zoos around Florida. They can't really move the elephants or large animals to a safer place. That's heartbreaking. I hope the zoo animals will be ok. Of course the people are more important but I can't help but feel concern for all the animals in Florida too. That includes the birds out in nature.

Sigh....global warming is shitty.

Zoo Miami reports that most of their animals have hurricane proof shelters as part of their enclosures, so they're just stored inside their shelters. The smaller animals like birds are brought indoors, and the aquariums have generators to keep the oxygen pumping in the water.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurric...es-n799711

[Image: 000e9c77-614.jpg?ratio=1.78]

Cuba evacuated their dolphins to safety!

[Image: a-trainer-calms-a-dolphin-ahead-of-the-e...558815.jpg]

The Bahamas Zoo evacuated their animals, but according to them, peacocks are one of only a few animals that are considered safe in a storm. This white peacock refused to be captured and sheltered by zoo workers.

[Image: 440D4AC300000578-4866794-image-a-61_1504904701025.jpg]

Some guy in the Keys caught and evacuated the wild chicken population.

[Image: chicken.jpg?w=748&h=499&crop=1]
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
09-09-2017, 03:40 PM
Peafowl seems to be extremely resilient and withstand most anything - except humans with guns.

Some asshole shot all but one of mine... she has been lonely for years now. She insists on sleeping in my snag instead one of the evergreens that give shelter. Last winter she looked like a snow sculpture in the morning.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
09-09-2017, 03:41 PM
(09-09-2017 03:32 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Some guy in the Keys caught and evacuated the wild chicken population.

[Image: chicken.jpg?w=748&h=499&crop=1]

These look like Bantam fighters.....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-09-2017, 03:45 PM
(09-09-2017 03:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  Peafowl seems to be extremely resilient and withstand most anything - except humans with guns.

Some asshole shot all but one of mine... she has been lonely for years now. She insists on sleeping in my snag instead one of the evergreens that give shelter. Last winter she looked like a snow sculpture in the morning.

Awww. Can you get her a male? Poor thing.

We've got assholes like that who shoot at wild peafowl in the area. Fuck them. They're horrible people.
09-09-2017, 04:52 PM
Okay, question to the non-Floridians.

Is MSNBC showing me some version of the news that is tailored to the Florida market? I've seen Governor Scott talking quite a bit, I've seen Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Pam Bondi talking. It's coverage 24/7 on the storms, which is appropriate (and appreciated) under the circumstances, but why aren't they showing anything coming from the White House? Or something coming from anyone in the Federal Government? Governor Scott said that Trump promised "full resources" for the recovery, but that wasn't defined and I'm not hearing anything substantive from the President.

So far, the only thing I've heard coming from Trump is that Irma is "not good."
09-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Why the F would people shoot peafowl?? Jesus.

I hope you guys stay safe. One good thing is there was lots of warning with this storm!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
09-09-2017, 05:39 PM
(09-09-2017 04:52 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Okay, question to the non-Floridians.

Is MSNBC showing me some version of the news that is tailored to the Florida market? I've seen Governor Scott talking quite a bit, I've seen Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Pam Bondi talking. It's coverage 24/7 on the storms, which is appropriate (and appreciated) under the circumstances, but why aren't they showing anything coming from the White House? Or something coming from anyone in the Federal Government? Governor Scott said that Trump promised "full resources" for the recovery, but that wasn't defined and I'm not hearing anything substantive from the President.

So far, the only thing I've heard coming from Trump is that Irma is "not good."

I heard they took him to Camp David again.

[+] 2 users Like Dom's post