Hurricane Irma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2017, 03:38 PM
RE: Hurricane Irma
(10-09-2017 02:22 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 10:09 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Reporters standing in wind gusts look like idiots.

If news people didn't stand there in the wind and the rain trump supporters would claim it's fake news. Hell, even when they do stand outside reporting on the weather trump supporters think it's fake news.

True.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-09-2017, 03:51 PM
(10-09-2017 02:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 02:47 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Earthquakes really do fuck with your head. After you experience one big enough to put the fear in you you'll get these phantom earthquakes that turn out to be just a truck driving by or something.

But hurricanes make you nervous as fuck when they get close.

In Japan, they're prone to everything. I had a couple typhoons scare the shit out of me.

I grew up in California and experienced many earthquakes. I think the worst one was 1994 Northridge earthquake. I was about 8 miles from the epicenter and everything was rocking and a- rollin. My bed bounced around to the other side of the room. Sure gets the heart started!

I was in the hospital waiting to have a baby on that day. I remember watching it on the news that morning. Smile

I think the '89 quake was (seismically speaking) stronger and took far longer to rebuild, go figure. I recall when the 94 quake hit a year later (or so) they were finished repairs. Contrast that with Northern California hardly anything was done, we were still struggling with damaged freeways. It wasn't until '97 when the Cypress freeway was restore.

I really don't want to deal with anymore earthquakes.

We've had a couple here that we've felt but only husband, myself and our dog noticed them at the time. The kids, who didn't really remember ever feeling one, were disappointed.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

10-09-2017, 04:20 PM
(10-09-2017 03:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 02:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I grew up in California and experienced many earthquakes. I think the worst one was 1994 Northridge earthquake. I was about 8 miles from the epicenter and everything was rocking and a- rollin. My bed bounced around to the other side of the room. Sure gets the heart started!

I was in the hospital waiting to have a baby on that day. I remember watching it on the news that morning. Smile

I think the '89 quake was (seismically speaking) stronger and took far longer to rebuild, go figure. I recall when the 94 quake hit a year later (or so) they were finished repairs. Contrast that with Northern California hardly anything was done, we were still struggling with damaged freeways. It wasn't until '97 when the Cypress freeway was restore.

We've had a couple here that we've felt but only husband, myself and our dog noticed them at the time. The kids, who didn't really remember ever feeling one, were disappointed.

I think earthquakes have killed many millions more than any other natural disaster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_earthquakes

Scroll down to the bottom. I didn't add the numbers up but I think it's close to a half a billion people killed by earthquakes since 1556.

Anyway, back to Irma.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-09-2017, 04:40 PM
(10-09-2017 03:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 02:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I grew up in California and experienced many earthquakes. I think the worst one was 1994 Northridge earthquake. I was about 8 miles from the epicenter and everything was rocking and a- rollin. My bed bounced around to the other side of the room. Sure gets the heart started!

The Baysball quake is the most impressive one I've been in. It was ... chaotic.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
10-09-2017, 05:01 PM
(10-09-2017 04:40 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 03:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I was in the hospital waiting to have a baby on that day. I remember watching it on the news that morning. Smile

The Baysball quake is the most impressive one I've been in. It was ... chaotic.

I had friends at the game (it was her birthday, ironically) at Candlestick. I couldn't go because work. I had just got off the elevator when the shaking started, I could barely walk. In the car, the radio was just static (which added to my freak out that this wasn't normal -- All the stations from San Francisco to San Jose were off the air). It was freaky. When I finally got home, a neighbor stopped me and said they heard the Bay Bridge collapsed (I had devastating mental images) We had no power, and PG&E cut off our gas to our area.

We had just moved in a week before, so it actually was a great way to meet the neighbors. We're still friends all these years later with the (then) couple that lived next door to us.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

10-09-2017, 05:07 PM
From a far distance I was shocked and freaked out by the San Fran earthquake. The double decker freeway dropping...terrifying. I'll take hurricanes.

10-09-2017, 05:08 PM
(10-09-2017 05:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 04:40 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  The Baysball quake is the most impressive one I've been in. It was ... chaotic.

I had friends at the game (it was her birthday, ironically) at Candlestick. I couldn't go because work. I had just got off the elevator when the shaking started, I could barely walk. In the car, the radio was just static (which added to my freak out that this wasn't normal -- All the stations from San Francisco to San Jose were off the air). It was freaky. When I finally got home, a neighbor stopped me and said they heard the Bay Bridge collapsed (I had devastating mental images) We had no power, and PG&E cut off our gas to our area.

We had just moved in a week before, so it actually was a great way to meet the neighbors. We're still friends all these years later with the (then) couple that lived next door to us.
I've seen a bit of footage of me between the freeways, looking for people. Never bothered saving it. I remember it all too well.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
10-09-2017, 06:55 PM
[Image: 20170908_220543_zpsnrj2nji4.jpg?w=480&am...p;fit=clip]

He's been nervous and clingy.
[+] 11 users Like Aliza's post
10-09-2017, 07:09 PM
(10-09-2017 06:55 PM)Aliza Wrote:  [Image: 20170908_220543_zpsnrj2nji4.jpg?w=480&am...p;fit=clip]

Sedate the poor bird. Don't they have Calm-Bird like Calm-Child? My kids loved that shit. Had to cut 'em off when they started asking for it.

I was in my 4th story office in MD in a meeting like 5-6 years ago when a 5.8 hit Richmond. The building swayed a good 5-6 inches a couple times but looking out the window at the other building also swaying 5-6" but not in sync made it feel like a foot. I paused for a second,and then resumed the meeting. They asked, "Did you feel that?" I said, "Yes, but I always feel shit like that and I wasn't sure you did." Smile

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-09-2017, 07:09 PM
(10-09-2017 06:55 PM)Aliza Wrote:  [Image: 20170908_220543_zpsnrj2nji4.jpg?w=480&am...p;fit=clip]

Awwww. He's a cutie. Is the wind and rain noisy? Is that what is bothering him? My widdow kitty would love to get to know him. Heart

Just kidding Wink

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post