Hurricane Irma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2017, 08:50 AM
RE: Hurricane Irma
This was a scary looking hurricane before it made landfall. When it was a few days out, and still Cat5, my wife and I decided to evacuate. Right now we're up in Viriginia. Our house is not far inland, but I think we only suffered a fallen tree. My brother-in-law and his girlfriend and roommates stayed at our place during the storm because theirs was in the Mandatory Evac zone A in Cape Coral.

We got lucky that the storm weakened significantly before making landfall, though. It was looking really grim for a while there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Emma's post
12-09-2017, 08:51 AM
Jeez you're judgemental.

I'm with Aliza. She's been through something traumatic and expressed her feelings on it as best as she could. Sorry it's not up to your standards.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
12-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Islamorada was just on the news. Looks like an absolute mess. I'm really glad to hear that FC's home is still around. And Emma, I'm so glad you hear that you evacuated to somewhere more comfortable, and that your house is still standing. I heard on the news that FPL will have to totally rebuild the power grid in your area. Maybe it's best to sit tight for a little while. Still, this storm could have been so much worse than it was!

The roads and bridges are open here, so I'm able to leave again. YAY! Off to help others recover from the storm as best I can.
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
12-09-2017, 09:18 AM
(12-09-2017 07:46 AM)Aliza Wrote:  How do you criticize someone at all who is recovering from a disaster? They're in survival mode.

If you want to make an impact, then after they've recovered, educate them on the science behind disasters so they understand what happened. Don't just sit around and make fun of them for not understanding. It's cruel and useless and only serves to make the taunter feel bigger about themselves.

No one is criticizing such people to their faces. We are saying their religion is skewing their vision of reality.

So no, it's not cruel or useless. It's just stating the facts because someone has to stand up for them.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
12-09-2017, 09:22 AM
(12-09-2017 07:28 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(12-09-2017 06:01 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I'm reminded of the video of a lady minister standing in front of her tornado-leveled church. "Thank God more people weren't killed." Facepalm

So we're criticizing people who are expressing their optimism about getting less destruction and damage than they can imagine? Isn't that a very healthy response to enable victims to keep pushing through and getting onto recovering?

Would we criticize someone who said, "Thankfully more people weren't killed?"

They're not blinded by religion. They're trying to be optimistic so they can get done what needs to get done. It's normal.

No, I don't think that's it. For me, it's not about the banal "thank god there wasn't more destruction," to me that's just an excited utterance.

It's the people who believe god somehow cares and personally saved them -- while at the same time allowed others to lose everything or die. In the coming months we'll be inundated with pictures of bibles in ravaged homes with the caption, "everything was gone except the word" I've already heard people on the news saying "I just knew god was protecting us and looking out for us." Or "god answered our prayers" because the other people didn't pray enough? Or the same way they did?

The "cross" unearthed at the twin towers might be another example. A crossbeam became some weird symbol and assigned a greater weight than it deserved.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 8 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-09-2017, 09:25 AM
(12-09-2017 09:17 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Islamorada was just on the news. Looks like an absolute mess. I'm really glad to hear that FC's home is still around. And Emma, I'm so glad you hear that you evacuated to somewhere more comfortable, and that your house is still standing. I heard on the news that FPL will have to totally rebuild the power grid in your area. Maybe it's best to sit tight for a little while. Still, this storm could have been so much worse than it was!

The roads and bridges are open here, so I'm able to leave again. YAY! Off to help others recover from the storm as best I can.
There's a fifteen minute tour of Islamorada on the CNN page. Or was yesterday, anyway.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2017, 09:26 AM
(12-09-2017 09:18 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(12-09-2017 07:46 AM)Aliza Wrote:  How do you criticize someone at all who is recovering from a disaster? They're in survival mode.

If you want to make an impact, then after they've recovered, educate them on the science behind disasters so they understand what happened. Don't just sit around and make fun of them for not understanding. It's cruel and useless and only serves to make the taunter feel bigger about themselves.

No one is criticizing such people to their faces. We are saying their religion is skewing their vision of reality.

So no, it's not cruel or useless. It's just stating the facts because someone has to stand up for them.
I would criticize such people to their faces without a problem. Hypocrites need to be informed of their status.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
12-09-2017, 09:40 AM
(12-09-2017 09:26 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(12-09-2017 09:18 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  No one is criticizing such people to their faces. We are saying their religion is skewing their vision of reality.

I would criticize such people to their faces without a problem. Hypocrites need to be informed of their status.

Yeah, before I head out, I just want to add that I'm of the opinion that criticizing people for their beliefs -particularly when those people are in crisis mode, and especially when their actions are the exact same as if they held different beliefs- is bigotry. It is the very definition of bigotry, in fact.

I'm not a bigot.

I'm not even going to argue this with you. Think what you want, your beliefs don't matter. All that matters is that you take action and help people in need.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
12-09-2017, 09:59 AM
(12-09-2017 09:40 AM)Aliza Wrote:  ...
criticizing people for their beliefs ... - is bigotry. It is the very definition of bigotry, in fact.

Well, no. Intolerance, not criticism, is the definition. Quite a bit of difference there.

Good to know you're safe though.

Heart

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
12-09-2017, 10:50 AM
(12-09-2017 09:40 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Yeah, before I head out, I just want to add that I'm of the opinion that criticizing people for their beliefs -particularly when those people are in crisis mode, and especially when their actions are the exact same as if they held different beliefs- is bigotry. It is the very definition of bigotry, in fact.

I'm not a bigot.

I'm not even going to argue this with you. Think what you want, your beliefs don't matter. All that matters is that you take action and help people in need.

It's a good thing you aren't arguing with us, but only calling us bigots, since I don't think you could even fool yourself on this point otherwise.

And no, I am under no obligation to help anyone myself. I pay my taxes so the government can do that, since it knows better what needs to be done.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post