Hurricane Irma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2017, 03:25 PM
RE: Hurricane Irma
(12-09-2017 03:21 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  One place on fb publicly shamed some who donated nasty underwear. I giggled at the time (this was waaaay before the hurricane), because I've been involved in clothing charities in our county....

It's not supposed to be a chance to empty your dressers and closets and avoid going to the dump.

After the Newtown massacre a few years back, people sent hundreds of teddy bears no one asked for or wanted. It was a nice but useless gesture, I guess.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
12-09-2017, 04:19 PM
After Hurricane Hugo there was a big call for baby clothing and supplies. Since I was done having babies, my youngest was two and a half, I boxed up everything I had and donated clothes, crib sheets, baby blankets...all of it. Shelters were asking specifically for these items.

It's probably best to donate what's asked for, or money or time, than to add to the burden of sorting and distributing things.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
12-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Meanwhile, has anyone heard from Emma??

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
12-09-2017, 04:31 PM
(12-09-2017 04:28 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Meanwhile, has anyone heard from Emma??

She posted on this thread a few pages back (earlier today). She's OK.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
18-09-2017, 08:54 AM
Hi all,

Just dropping by to let you know that my family and I made it through Irma ok. We lost power for about 24 hours and still don't have cable or internet. Internet even by phone has been painfully slow and only intermittently available. My workplace was closed all last week due to having no power, but we are back in business today, including internet, which is how I'm finally able to post here. My house lost a bunch of roof shingles and a part of my fence was knocked down. Otherwise, there was no other damage. All in all, I can't complain. All minor stuff.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 8 users Like Impulse's post
18-09-2017, 08:58 AM
(18-09-2017 08:54 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Hi all,

Just dropping by to let you know that my family and I made it through Irma ok. We lost power for about 24 hours and still don't have cable or internet. Internet even by phone has been painfully slow and only intermittently available. My workplace was closed all last week due to having no power, but we are back in business today, including internet, which is how I'm finally able to post here. My house lost a bunch of roof shingles and a part of my fence was knocked down. Otherwise, there was no other damage. All in all, I can't complain. All minor stuff.

That's great news! Glad you got your cable and internet back.
18-09-2017, 09:07 AM
(18-09-2017 08:58 AM)Aliza Wrote:  That's great news! Glad you got your cable and internet back.
Thanks Aliza, but actually we haven't yet. We have internet at work which is where I'm posting from.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
18-09-2017, 03:31 PM
Internet down, posting from restaurant.

Home sustained minimal damage, some water intrusion buckled the floor and high wind pulled up corner of porch roof, one ceiling fan hit critical speed and self-destructed and the vegetation was hammered.

For not expecting the house to be standing not so bad. Undecided

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 10 users Like Full Circle's post
18-09-2017, 03:56 PM
(18-09-2017 03:31 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Internet down, posting from restaurant.

Home sustained minimal damage, some water intrusion buckled the floor and high wind pulled up corner of porch roof, one ceiling fan hit critical speed and self-destructed and the vegetation was hammered.

For not expecting the house to be standing not so bad. Undecided

Always good news when there's less bad news than expected.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
18-09-2017, 04:20 PM
(18-09-2017 03:56 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Always good news when there's less bad news than expected.

That's why you should always expect the worst.
Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post