Hurricane Irma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2017, 02:52 PM
RE: Hurricane Irma
My friend flew from Boston to Disney yesterday, staying for 9 days.
I am not sure I would throw caution to the wind when my kids were involved...

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2017, 02:55 PM
(08-09-2017 01:08 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 12:37 PM)BnW Wrote:  My in laws are lovely people. I'm going to miss them.

The shelters can be used as ride-out shelters if they don't want to pack and plan to stay. Go to their county website or the American Red Cross and get them the address of a shelter very close to them. They can bring a bridge chair and a deck of cards and stay only for the duration of the storm and then go right back home.

You are just soooo not understanding this. They aren't going to a shelter. They were told they couldn't stay on their floor because the top 2 floors are the danger zones and my father in law said "bur that's where my bed is". So, fuck that idea.

They are in their upper 80s, and they are not budging. I suspect they have chained themselves to the railings to thwart any would be rescue attempt.

Nice people, but fucking stubborn.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
08-09-2017, 02:58 PM
(08-09-2017 05:13 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(07-09-2017 09:37 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Begged my parents to come north with us and they chose to stay...said they were too old and tired to run. Sadcryface Sadcryface2

My inlaws are in Boca. My sister-in-law found them a flight to come join her in Atlanta. My wife was ready to send an uber to take them to the airport. but, you know, packing is a pain. And my father-in-law swims in the morning and he doesn't want to break his routine. So, they're not coming. It's just too much trouble with the packing and when would he swim? Better to sit in the dark with no AC. Or food. Or water.

I had to peel my wife off the ceiling last night.

Hug

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
08-09-2017, 03:03 PM
(08-09-2017 02:55 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 01:08 PM)Aliza Wrote:  The shelters can be used as ride-out shelters if they don't want to pack and plan to stay. Go to their county website or the American Red Cross and get them the address of a shelter very close to them. They can bring a bridge chair and a deck of cards and stay only for the duration of the storm and then go right back home.

You are just soooo not understanding this. They aren't going to a shelter. They were told they couldn't stay on their floor because the top 2 floors are the danger zones and my father in law said "bur that's where my bed is". So, fuck that idea.

They are in their upper 80s, and they are not budging. I suspect they have chained themselves to the railings to thwart any would be rescue attempt.

Call the sheriff and report that they may be too confused to understand that they should evacuate. The police may be able to assess the situation and handle it "favorably."
08-09-2017, 03:43 PM
(08-09-2017 03:03 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 02:55 PM)BnW Wrote:  You are just soooo not understanding this. They aren't going to a shelter. They were told they couldn't stay on their floor because the top 2 floors are the danger zones and my father in law said "bur that's where my bed is". So, fuck that idea.

Call the sheriff and report that they may be too confused to understand that they should evacuate. The police may be able to assess the situation and handle it "favorably."

Aliza, you're one of my favorite people. Are you sure you're going to be ok? Do you live inland? I hope so.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
08-09-2017, 04:06 PM
(08-09-2017 03:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 03:03 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Call the sheriff and report that they may be too confused to understand that they should evacuate. The police may be able to assess the situation and handle it "favorably."

Aliza, you're one of my favorite people. Are you sure you're going to be ok? Do you live inland? I hope so.

I live in a coastal city on the east coast, but I'm not *on* the coast. Unfortunately, with this storm, being further inland is probably a disadvantage. I'm in a wood structure with no shutters, so that being the case, I'm fully packed and ready to evacuate with the birds and the dog. I've got two shelter options on hand, one is very close, the other is pretty far away, but serves as an excellent backup plan.

All in all, I think I'm ready. I've got food, medication, gasoline, clean clothes, water and a deck of playing cards.

Should have bought beer. Facepalm
08-09-2017, 04:13 PM
(08-09-2017 04:06 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 03:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Aliza, you're one of my favorite people. Are you sure you're going to be ok? Do you live inland? I hope so.

I live in a coastal city on the east coast, but I'm not *on* the coast. Unfortunately, with this storm, being further inland is probably a disadvantage. I'm in a wood structure with no shutters, so that being the case, I'm fully packed and ready to evacuate with the birds and the dog. I've got two shelter options on hand, one is very close, the other is pretty far away, but serves as an excellent backup plan.

All in all, I think I'm ready. I've got food, medication, gasoline, clean clothes, water and a deck of playing cards.

Be safe!

You said bird(s). I knew you had a grey...what else do you have?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
08-09-2017, 04:20 PM
(08-09-2017 04:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 04:06 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I live in a coastal city on the east coast, but I'm not *on* the coast. Unfortunately, with this storm, being further inland is probably a disadvantage. I'm in a wood structure with no shutters, so that being the case, I'm fully packed and ready to evacuate with the birds and the dog. I've got two shelter options on hand, one is very close, the other is pretty far away, but serves as an excellent backup plan.

Be safe!

A green cheek conure. She's a cutie!
08-09-2017, 04:23 PM
(08-09-2017 04:20 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 04:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Be safe!

A green cheek conure. She's a cutie!

I have a Quaker...often called the little green chicken. He's quite gabby today. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
08-09-2017, 05:02 PM
(07-09-2017 07:21 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Thinking of all of you in the path. PR was spared the very worst, but St. Maarten sounds like an almost total loss Sad

Just a couple of weeks ago my gal and I were talking about St Maarten as a vacation getaway. Made me really sad to hear they got hammered.

Hang tight and stay safe, Floridians.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post