Hurricane Irma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2017, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2017 08:52 PM by pablo.)
RE: Hurricane Irma
(20-09-2017 11:15 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Thank you all for your concern and well wishes!

Still no internet, I’m sitting at a friend’s house who owns a cat...I’m allergic to cat hair...the things I do for you guys Rolleyes

Big Grin

Yesterday I spent the entire day working in the blazing sun, lost 4 pounds of water. Great I thought until that evening when I suffered the worst leg cramp of my life, wouldn’t ease off for ten minutes! Drank OJ and V8 and it finally eased off. Today I ain’t doing anything outside, I’m beat.

The Irma Odyssey (for inquiring minds)

On Tuesday September 5th we shuttered our house, did all the hurricane proofing we could do including bringing all stuff inside, tying boat like Spiderman and took with us memorabilia, important paperwork, too many clothes, too much frozen food, 1 large dog and headed to Miami.

Spent Wednesday prepping my parent’s house. When the storm looked like it was going to flatten Miami we decided to go to St. Petersburg on the west coast. Begged my parents to come but they said they were too old and too tired to leave. That was a heart-wrenching moment. (They made out fine btw).

On Thursday we drove to St. Pete and prepped our friend’s house. The house has no shutters and is surrounded by oak trees. At this time the storm track shifted west and we were now in the path.

Friday morning all of us headed out, 4 people, 1 dog, 2 cats. Destination Alabama were wife still has family. The normal 6 hour drive became an 11 hour ordeal, at Fanning Springs, with the only bridge over the Suwanee River in the area, it took us 2 hours to drive 6 miles. Fuel could not be found and our fuel would not get us to Alabama.

I called friends that live along the way in Port St. Joe and they offered to put us up. We weren’t sure our fuel would get us there but they said just keep coming, we’ll drive gas out to you! Words can’t do justice to the relief we felt. We finally did find one open gas station, as I was paying the attendant shut the pumps down, we had emptied their tank!

On Saturday we hurricane prepped the St. Joe home all the while monitoring which way the storm would head. We feared that if it made its way back over the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico it would strengthen and then we would once again be in its path. That night we had a real tough decision to make, do we make a stand with two of the most prepared people I know (both husband and wife are ex-military, Air Force) or do we try to make it to Alabama? We decided to stay. We turned their house into a bunker. Six people and furry friends held our collective breath.

On Sunday the outer bands hit but they were of no consequence. Reports started coming in of the devastation on the Keys and elsewhere, I-75 might have to be closed due to rising waters and I could not get through to any of my family back in Miami. Fuel would be non-existent along the way back so we stayed until the 14th. I suspected we had lost our home but then our neighbor, an officer with the Florida Wildlife Commission and a First Responder, sent me a voice text that I will never erase, it said “House still standing, looks unbreached. Boat still there. Yard a mess.” My knees buckled.

We took down all hurricane preparations and headed back to St. Pete were we found our friend’s house intact, branches broken and trees fallen everywhere but not on the house! Power had been lost for two days but then restored. Spent the night, rented a trailer and headed to Miami with extra water, generator, chainsaws, plywood and gasoline.

Damage to parent’s house minimal, rest of family also minimal with prolonged power outage. Relieved and rested, if you can call worrying about your home all night resting, we headed out in the morning.

Finally this past Sunday we drove into the Keys (residents have a decal that allows us re-entry in events like these). The further down we drove the greater the devastation. By the time we reached our island we were seeing sand dunes piled five feet high on either side...we don’t have sand dunes. Collapsed buildings, smashed boats, every kind of debris you can think of piled high on the side of the highway...a real mess. First responders everywhere.

Driving down our street my heart was in my throat, but there she was, the house was up. Inside water has buckled part of the flooring, mold was on the rugs and the screen enclosure outside was slightly damaged but otherwise we still have a house. The mangrove trees were hanging over the bow of the boat, leaves piled high inside, batteries dead from constantly running the bilge pump. Cracks on the windshield the size of BBs.

Leaves and debris stuck into every nook and cranny on the outside of the house. We can’t pressure clean since we are under water restriction usage. At the moment water is non-potable and has to be boiled. We have a wooden fence that I built with three wooden double gates made with 6x6 posts and 2x6 railings with commercial grade hardware...all still standing but torqued in a way that I spent all yesterday re-setting and had to bend metal back to shape! Metal exterior doors held but wood door frames swollen. We hired two helpers to move yard debris to create a pile 6 feet tall and probably 30 feet in circumference.

We have once again come Full Circle.

FC

That's a hell of an ordeal FC, glad you made it through okay and hope that you never have to go through it again.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
20-09-2017, 05:22 PM
(20-09-2017 07:50 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  I am so glad that things are getting back to normal in Florida.
Our thoughts are with you all.

[Image: 21568475_1363789017080038_4861757525709553664_n.jpg]

You're signature has never been more poignant. Ever.

Anyway, if anyone needs me I'll be in the bathroom for a while .... reading.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
20-09-2017, 06:13 PM
So glad to read the Full Story, FC, and even gladder that you and yours are safe and sound.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
20-09-2017, 07:39 PM
(19-09-2017 10:22 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(19-09-2017 08:49 AM)Dom Wrote:  What, are you an incarnation of my husband?
If that were true you'd either be asleep in the next room or dead. Consider

Huh? Consider Huh

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-09-2017, 08:31 PM
(20-09-2017 06:13 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  So glad to read the Full Story, FC, and even gladder that you and yours are safe and sound.

Thanks Thump. It will take some time to rebuild the community but everyone seems to be hard at work. This weekend we will probably volunteer further down the Keys where the eye passed. My tenants in Miami are getting their rent cut in half for October, everyone helping everyone out.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
21-09-2017, 12:07 AM
(20-09-2017 08:31 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(20-09-2017 06:13 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  So glad to read the Full Story, FC, and even gladder that you and yours are safe and sound.

Thanks Thump. It will take some time to rebuild the community but everyone seems to be hard at work. This weekend we will probably volunteer further down the Keys where the eye passed. My tenants in Miami are getting their rent cut in half for October, everyone helping everyone out.

I sure hope everyone there is team-playing like you seem to have done throughout this ordeal. It makes it easier to deal with and recover, I imagine. Keep on keepin' on, brotha.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post