Hurricane Patty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2015, 10:36 AM
RE: Hurricane Patty
Many years ago I read a study on deaths from tornadoes which compared how people in the southern parts of the US responded to tornadoes as opposed to northerners. It seems that deaths in the south were attributed to people who felt that god would save them from tornadoes and didn't find shelter while this wasn't the case in the northern states who quickly sought shelter.

I read this probably 20 years ago so it might not be the case now what with the difference in mass communication and I can't speak to any flaws in the study but I thought it was interesting none the less.

It didn't study hurricanes deaths but it might be similar.

Sigh....global warming....geesh!Sadcryface

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
23-10-2015, 11:35 AM
With 200mph winds this is more a very large EF3 tornado than a hurricane.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
23-10-2015, 04:25 PM
Come on this is a puddy tat of a storm, you know like Vesuvius was just soda and Mentos.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
23-10-2015, 04:37 PM
I couldn't find this info in the article, do they know about when it's going to hit? Sounds pretty soon, like tonight possibly?

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
23-10-2015, 04:42 PM
I was reading a sailing forum about the storm and one lady is like 20-30 miles from the 100+mph zone...she's waiting it out on her boat. I'm thinking if this storm varies by 15 miles or is stronger than expected you will be fucking dead. Just get away from it. Some sources are saying gusts to 215 knots, 247 mph.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
23-10-2015, 04:47 PM
(23-10-2015 04:42 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  I was reading a sailing forum about the storm and one lady is like 20-30 miles from the 100+mph zone...she's waiting it out on her boat. I'm thinking if this storm varies by 15 miles or is stronger than expected you will be fucking dead. Just get away from it. Some sources are saying gusts to 215 knots, 247 mph.

That's what I call kite flying weather.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
23-10-2015, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2015 05:01 PM by Imathinker.)
Or just hold an umbrella in front of you and you can fly yourself.

edit: Holy shit the #prayformexico is out in force. It's taking all my powers of restraint to not give these people a piece of my mind.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
23-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Years ago, we had a double hit with TS Dennis and then Floyd. Floyd was a category 3 (max sustained winds 111-130 mph / 96-113 kt / 178-209 km/hr). From what I hear, Patricia is past category 5 at this point. There are some areas they didn't even bother to rebuild after Floyd. I can't imagine that thing hitting here, and we don't really freak about over lower category 2 anymore.
23-10-2015, 05:51 PM
I haven't been able to find any cams still on the internet..... Anyone find anything???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-10-2015, 09:52 PM
I was working at Cape Canaveral when hurricane Wilma chewed a groove through the Florida Panhandle. Even that far from the eye, I saw basically horizontal rain, which made it through the window in the condo and flooded the counter (which had a power strip on it, that supplied the toaster, among other implements), but otherwise, no damage. Even at many miles away, natural phenomena can cause personal grief. I get crap all the time about living in earthquake- prone California. I've been through two major quakes, spaced at about 20 years, give or take. I've lost property, but no lives. The home I'm living in now has been through both, although somewhat displaced from those two epicenters. I'm not worried. I don't think this home would survive a hurricane, but I'm far enough from the coast that that is an impossibility.