Husband all of a sudden a theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2017, 09:58 AM
RE: Husband all of a sudden a theist
(27-06-2017 07:16 AM)qpmomma Wrote:  I am so down right now. I always thought my husband was an atheist. Every time I would talk about my beliefs as a Christian he would always counter it with something logical. He never went to church with me. He never read the Bible.

Now that I have told him I am an atheist he all of a sudden believes in a deity. We've had a lot of stuff happen all of a sudden recently and he's trying to tell me it's a deity punishing us for my lack of belief.

He also said he doesn't want our 7 year old saying there is no god. If it wasn't for me she wouldn't even know about the Christian myths in the first place. He's also baiting me into arguments. He'll want to talk about his beliefs (which is news to me) and ask me "Do you think god is punishing us?" When I say "I don't believe in a god, so no." He'll then say "Why do you always try to shut down the conversation like that?" As someone who went to a Christian school and a Bible college I know this tactic.

I just have no clue where any of this is coming from. When I ask him he says "You were always the optimistic one." Honestly, I think I am more optimistic. Without God testing us or allowing Satan to test us, tomorrow may actually be a better day because no one is causing this to happen.

I cannot talk to my family because they are all Christian and the one person I thought I could talk to because he NEVER had a belief in anything decides he wants to be a deist ALL OF A SUDDEN!

Thanks for letting me rant. I just have no where else to go.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you but tbh your post raises alarm bells with me regarding the general health of your relationship over all. Obviously I don't know you or your husband and although overnight or instant conversions are very common usually in the early stages the converted are more interested in witnessing and are filled with the love of god and floating around on a pink cloud,the behavior you describe sounds like either a particularly toxic conversion in a toxic church or that your husband is just being deliberately contrary and provocative towards you, neither are good news by the sound of it. Good luck I hope things work out for you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2017, 08:26 PM
RE: Husband all of a sudden a theist
My situation is different than yours but I kind of know what you are feeling. My wife and I were devout christians. I even used to teach bible studies from time to time. I came to a point in my life I wanted to be more efficient in convincing people needed Jesus as there savior. I studied alot in the physicals, history, archeology, the history of the bible as we know it, the history of christianity, and even psychology. It was not one particular argument but it was alot of thinking through stuff before I finally realized I could not beleive in god anymore no matter how much I wanted to. Eventually I came to the conclusion I could not believe in god anymore no matter how much I wanted to. Because staying as a believer would have made my life easier. But I could not do it. I could live a lie. Most of my social network was Christian. When I came out as an atheist to my wife it devastated her because the christian man that was on fire for god was gone. I tried to make it work for my kids sake but that only lasted for another couple of years. When I would argue with somebody on social media with family members about religion I felt like I had to keep her from seeing it as if I was having a affair was trying to hide and that was not the case. Because I could see the look on her face when I would bring up my lack of beliefs. Recently I realized I could not stay married and keep living the way Ive been living. I couldnt keep living being only half of myself. A couple of weeks ago we decided to get a divorce after nine years of marriage. Two weeks ago I moved out into my own apartment. Were starting the divorce process next week. My situation is a little different but I truly understand how you feel. Religion tore my marriage apart. My family and inlaws love me but I can see when they look me they beleive the devil ruined our marriage. I see it in their eyes when they look at me. So qpmomma I know how you are feeling. If you need someone too talk feel free PM me or PM me your SkypeID or Facebook. I just wanted to say your not alone thats why I wanted to share my story.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply