Hush, that's offensive!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2012, 10:04 AM
RE: Hush, that's offensive!
(19-05-2012 09:21 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote: It's not about being right, it's about what you are trying to accomplish with the conversation.

You are talking to a human with a known issue - one that s/he has based his/her existance on.

If you pull the carpet out from under them, they will fall, hurt themselves and hate you.

If you slowly lead them off the carpet, they will see that they can stand on the plain ground just as easily.
An issue he may have had 5-6 years ago.
You don't know this guy, he is not one you would consider mildly depressed let alone suicidal.

And even then just because it may have helped him in his maybe issues 6years ago still doesn't make it true.

Plus I was'nt questioning his believes, I was questioning his thought process. He was the one that asked me if I believed that 3billion were wrong to which I responded. By saying those 3billion are right he is saying I'm wrong.
This is exactly what I mean!, it is okay for him to say I'm wrong but the second I say he is wrong everyone is down my throat!?

Whoa, whoa, I'm not down your throat!

I was replying to the whole thread in general, not your post on the first page or I would have quoted it.

I don't know the guy, your history or anything else to make any specific comment about your conversation.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Well, there's only one thing for it. Move. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-05-2012, 12:18 PM
(19-05-2012 10:32 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Well, there's only one thing for it. Move. Tongue
Make him move. After all, he's got 3 billion others who will undoubtably want to take him in.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
19-05-2012, 12:32 PM
You will never win the debate is real-time.
Plant the seed of doubt, which is best done as your confidence in the non-belief of a god.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
19-05-2012, 10:42 PM
(19-05-2012 12:18 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(19-05-2012 10:32 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Well, there's only one thing for it. Move. Tongue
Make him move. After all, he's got 3 billion others who will undoubtably want to take him in.
Well he hasn't returned and it's been 24+ hours.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
20-05-2012, 10:37 PM
He finally came home 48hours later.
There I was laying on the couch watching some TV, I hear him and my other flatmate walking up the stairs talking. They get to the top.. slight pause. *stomp* *stomp* *stomp* etc... past me and into the kitchen.
*silent whispering* He comes stomping back out, rips his pillow out from under my head that I was leaning against and stomps off.

Oh he mad. I lol'd.

21-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Well just remember that the majority is always right like how they were with thinking the earth was flat or slavery.

I believe the term is Cognitive Dissonance. Basically despite any ridiculous amount of evidence that proves him a hundred percent wrong is revealed to him. He will continue to ignore the facts because it will make him feel uncomfortable. It is sad but people will continue to think this way. He basically hasn't mentally matured and all you can do is continue to prove him wrong.

He may never change but the difference between you and him is simple. He desperately wants to believe in something and you don't. As someone who also suffered from suicide over the course of multiple years. I can testify that I saw no God and I personally had to deal with it.

No matter how much you want to believe you can fly. It doesn't make it any more true.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post
21-05-2012, 12:10 AM
(21-05-2012 12:02 AM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  Well just remember that the majority is always right like how they were with thinking the earth was flat or slavery.

I believe the term is Cognitive Dissonance. Basically despite any ridiculous amount of evidence that proves him a hundred percent wrong is revealed to him. He will continue to ignore the facts because it will make him feel uncomfortable. It is sad but people will continue to think this way. He basically hasn't mentally matured and all you can do is continue to prove him wrong.

He may never change but the difference between you and him is simple. He desperately wants to believe in something and you don't. As someone who also suffered from suicide over the course of multiple years. I can testify that I saw no God and I personally had to deal with it.

No matter how much you want to believe you can fly. It doesn't make it any more true.
mmmm. Good post.

I don't think it matters now anyway he is obviously going to hold a grudge for a rather long time and so now I have to live with this bullshit. Like a ticking time bomb I know it is gonna go off at some near time in the future. (probably at dinner in half an hour) Because I know he is gonna want me to apologies but I still stand I said nothing wrong, he asked me a question and I answered it. By giving the opposite answer that means I am wrong. So who here is more wronged? is my question. The answer being neither because we both saying the same thing to each other. The difference is I'm not the one having a 2 year old tantrum about it and so that immediately means I have to be the one to apologies, which is not going to happen.

21-05-2012, 06:45 AM
(21-05-2012 12:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  mmmm. Good post.

I don't think it matters now anyway he is obviously going to hold a grudge for a rather long time and so now I have to live with this bullshit. Like a ticking time bomb I know it is gonna go off at some near time in the future. (probably at dinner in half an hour) Because I know he is gonna want me to apologies but I still stand I said nothing wrong, he asked me a question and I answered it. By giving the opposite answer that means I am wrong. So who here is more wronged? is my question. The answer being neither because we both saying the same thing to each other. The difference is I'm not the one having a 2 year old tantrum about it and so that immediately means I have to be the one to apologies, which is not going to happen.

You need to get outta there. That's no way to live.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-05-2012, 09:25 PM
(21-05-2012 06:45 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-05-2012 12:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  mmmm. Good post.

You need to get outta there. That's no way to live.
what? standing up myself?

Just a heads up, shit just hit the fan and I may be without internet for a while.
And when I mean shit hit the fan, I mean shit hit the fan.