Hybrid hydrostatic transmission enables robots with human-like grace and precision

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Hybrid hydrostatic transmission enables robots with human-like grace and precision
http://phys.org/news/2016-05-hybrid-hydr...obots.html

Quote:A new type of hydrostatic transmission that combines hydraulic and pneumatic lines can safely and precisely drive robot arms, giving them the delicacy necessary to pick up an egg without breaking it.

This transmission has almost no friction or play, offering extreme precision for tasks such as threading a sewing needle.
The hybrid transmission makes it possible to halve the number of bulky hydraulic lines that a fully hydraulic system would require. Robotic limbs can thus be made lighter and smaller, said John P. Whitney, an assistant professor of mechanical and industrial engineering at Northeastern University, who led the development of the transmission while an associate research scientist at Disney Research.

So... can this be scaled up? Can you put wheels on it?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
12-05-2016, 04:32 PM
RE: Hybrid hydrostatic transmission enables robots with human-like grace and precision
(12-05-2016 02:28 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  http://phys.org/news/2016-05-hybrid-hydr...obots.html

Quote:A new type of hydrostatic transmission that combines hydraulic and pneumatic lines can safely and precisely drive robot arms, giving them the delicacy necessary to pick up an egg without breaking it.

This transmission has almost no friction or play, offering extreme precision for tasks such as threading a sewing needle.
The hybrid transmission makes it possible to halve the number of bulky hydraulic lines that a fully hydraulic system would require. Robotic limbs can thus be made lighter and smaller, said John P. Whitney, an assistant professor of mechanical and industrial engineering at Northeastern University, who led the development of the transmission while an associate research scientist at Disney Research.

Yes, and yes. You can see them on lawnmowers, and even tractors- https://www.google.com/search?q=hydrosta...ansmission
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
15-05-2016, 04:42 PM
RE: Hybrid hydrostatic transmission enables robots with human-like grace and precision
(12-05-2016 04:32 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(12-05-2016 02:28 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  http://phys.org/news/2016-05-hybrid-hydr...obots.html

Yes, and yes. You can see them on lawnmowers, and even tractors- https://www.google.com/search?q=hydrosta...ansmission

Sweet! I can mow the lawn with a mech!

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
15-05-2016, 05:13 PM
RE: Hybrid hydrostatic transmission enables robots with human-like grace and precisio
I can see some very fun applications of this technology. Just imagine a robotic boxing game with a virtual reality headset like the one shown in the video, for example. Big Grin

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
15-05-2016, 05:30 PM
That's neat. ^^

☆☆☆
18-05-2016, 09:47 AM
when do I get my mech suit with rockets and lasers? I need to budget this in time for my next birthday.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
31-05-2016, 07:47 PM
Am I the only one here that not only knows what a swash plate is, but also knows what a fixed unit overspeed entails ??

Big Grin
31-05-2016, 08:57 PM
(31-05-2016 07:47 PM)Sean Crawley Wrote:  Am I the only one here that not only knows what a swash plate is, but also knows what a fixed unit overspeed entails ??

Big Grin

No..... though I only know the terms via literature.

Thumbsup Nice to see you still around. Smile
31-05-2016, 10:10 PM
But does it wash windows? That's what I wanna know. Drinking Beverage

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
01-06-2016, 01:16 AM
[Image: DGGiWZF.jpg]

#deathtotheoverlords

#neverforget

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post