Hymns, anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Hymns, anyone?
So I am a former fundamentalist Christian. Which means when I went to church there were no musical instruments and no choir. The entire congregation sang together, a capella, in a fantastic blend of voices, old and young. Songs with four parts, alto leads, bass leads, I love the harmonies. I love singing, and those hymns still sound beautiful to me even though I don't believe the words anymore. There's just nothing else that I've found that compares to those songs, so I still listen to and randomly hum parts of hymns.

Basically I'm wondering if I'm the only one?
And does anyone know of any music that is hymn-like but not religious?
And can someone invent it for me if it doesn't exist? :D
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
23-10-2013, 09:40 AM
RE: Hymns, anyone?
Get yourself a load of Ladysmith Black Mambazo Wink

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
23-10-2013, 10:09 AM
(23-10-2013 09:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  Get yourself a load of Ladysmith Black Mambazo Wink

Well that was close, I guess. Though still kind of religious, according to the guy's intro.

Maybe not quite what I'm looking for, but thanks for the suggestion.
24-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Hyms, hell!

How about some HERS!!!!

Smile

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
24-10-2013, 09:45 AM

Seriously though, there are a couple people I'm aware of setting poetry to familiar tunes, you may be speaking of. I don't think they're published yet.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Some of those Xfactor type shows have had awesome hymchoir type stuff.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
24-10-2013, 01:44 PM
You could also google Sean nos singing - it's an Irish unaccompanied voice folk tradition...

If you wait for the second half of the song he explains what it's all about.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-10-2013, 01:54 PM
I used to love a few particular hymns when I was Christian, and I still like most of them, although now only because of how they sound. I still go to church (at this point because my wife wants me to), and I'll sing any hymns that I like. If I don't like it, I sit/stand there quietly.
29-10-2013, 02:02 PM
(23-10-2013 09:12 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  So I am a former fundamentalist Christian. Which means when I went to church there were no musical instruments and no choir. The entire congregation sang together, a capella, in a fantastic blend of voices, old and young. Songs with four parts, alto leads, bass leads, I love the harmonies. I love singing, and those hymns still sound beautiful to me even though I don't believe the words anymore. There's just nothing else that I've found that compares to those songs, so I still listen to and randomly hum parts of hymns.

Basically I'm wondering if I'm the only one?
And does anyone know of any music that is hymn-like but not religious?
And can someone invent it for me if it doesn't exist? Big Grin

I don't really like hymns but Casting Crowns, Skillet, Flyleaf, and The Fray are still my favorite bands. I listen to Christian music all the time. You don't have to believe in god to like Christian music.
I also don't believe in magic or wizardry, but I still love Harry Potter.
29-10-2013, 02:14 PM
I can't stand that sappy, sickening, jesus shit that those fools think is music.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]