Hyper-Religious Blog Followers
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Hyper-Religious Blog Followers
Hello everybody,

I'm new here, so first of all, hello! I'm glad to see fellow like-minded people on an internet that I often find is surprisingly religious.

I have a small, mostly family- and friend-attended, blog where I blog about crafts, recipes, zero waste, life, etc., and occasionally I have posts wherein I talk about my philosophy. After reading The God Delusion, I "came out" on the blog as an atheist.

Shortly after, I wrote a blog post about my summer reads, and I talked about one of my favorite authors, Philip Pullman (Is he a big name in the atheist world? If he isn't, I feel like he should be). A lot of blog post "likes" and "follows" from other blogs started popping up as I posted more posts with similar themes. I followed Wordpress' emails about these likes and follows to the blogs' pages and found that a lot of them are hyper religious and extremely anti atheist.

So...why exactly are they following me? It makes me really nervous. I am just a small-town, no-offense-meant, peace-loving hippie and I really don't want to be on the wrong side of an anti-atheist crusade or something.

So my question to you, fellow forum friends, is whether you think this attention is harmless or if I should actually be worried. Should I just ignore them until they start commenting? I feel a little bit like I have someone hanging over my shoulder getting ready to club me.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2013, 09:08 PM
RE: Hyper-Religious Blog Followers
If this wasn't the Personal Issues and Support thread I would be tempted to say:

But it is, so I won't.

Instead, I advise that you shouldn't let the paranoia set in.

There could be a number of different reasons for your new following:
a) Sheep like to follow
- unlikely but you can't rule out the possibility that they think you are a new messiah
b) Fear
- I think some professional theists are worried about their jobs and need to keep an eye on the competition
c) Researchers
- Professional fact-finders looking for changes in the zeitgeist in which case, you are just one of many they are following so it's nothing personal
d) Doubters
- Perhaps there are genuine truth-seekers out there.

Any which way, I don't think you need to worry.

But don't post any personal details to be on the safe side.

21-09-2013, 06:09 AM
RE: Hyper-Religious Blog Followers
Seems reasonable enough. Thanks!