Hypercommercialization

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2016, 01:23 PM
RE: Hypercommercialization
(05-04-2016 12:31 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, Gibson is losing focus -- clothing and shot-glasses?

Build me a goddamned guitar without binding-bleed or orange-peel in the finish.

Robot TUNERS!!! My theory is, if you can't tune a guitar you don't deserve one that costs $4K.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
05-04-2016, 04:17 PM
(05-04-2016 12:31 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, Gibson is losing focus -- clothing and shot-glasses?

Gibson hasn't been the same since they shut down the Kalamazoo plant....

(I was born in Kalamazoo - and had relatives who worked at the plant)....

It used to be you'd find 335's, Melody Makers and SG's at garage sales at about the rate you now find used golf clubs....................(well, almost...)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
05-04-2016, 06:35 PM
(05-04-2016 10:44 AM)Marozz Wrote:  Guinness! They also have everything from clocks to golfballs !!

Almost everything I own with a brand or logo was a gift from someone else: I've got Guinness glasses (ok that's fine) a Guinness t-shirt ( I only wear suits so it lives in my laundry bin) all the way to a 3 foot tall stereo speaker in the shape of a pint of Guinness. Why does that even exist? What kind of pikey house do you think I live in?

Now that said....my lizard brain triggers e erytime I see anything Celtic FC and I have to buy it. Outside of that I don't buy anything like that.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
05-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Sorry OP, you lost me at "I was in Walmart"

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
05-04-2016, 11:31 PM
(05-04-2016 01:23 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  

Robot TUNERS!!! My theory is, if you can't tune a guitar you don't deserve one that costs $4K.

Y'know?

I posted on MLP a few years back that Gibson needs to pare its focus down to six or seven models, forget the computer revolution, and get down to woodwork.

HenryJ ain't gonna listen to anyone. I appreciate him (and Slash) saving Gibson in the 80s, but goddamn, I want a guitar, not an iLesPaul.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
05-04-2016, 11:33 PM
(05-04-2016 04:17 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  

Gibson hasn't been the same since they shut down the Kalamazoo plant....

(I was born in Kalamazoo - and had relatives who worked at the plant)....

It used to be you'd find 335's, Melody Makers and SG's at garage sales at about the rate you now find used golf clubs....................(well, almost...)

I'll be buying a Heritage sometime in the next year -- same factory, many of the same workers, and better build quality than current Gibbys.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
06-04-2016, 12:49 AM
(05-04-2016 11:37 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I've been a guitar player for 21 years since my mid-teens. In that time I've seen a fairly sickening proliferation of "lifestyle" goods under major guitar brand names, particularly Fender and Gibson. For some of the products it makes sense. A barstool with the Fender logo is sensible, you can sit on it while you play your guitar. But it's getting ridiculous. Fender fingernail clippers? Gibson Xmas tree lights?

That said, I must admit I do feel a bit of a pull towards THIS, just because it'd be convenient to have in my basement rehearsal area, only mine would have MUCH better beer in it: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/lifestyle...h+Ad+Group

[Image: marshall-amp-fridge-xl.jpg]

Alex Van Halen has a bass drum to his right that is a fridge. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
06-04-2016, 06:03 AM
(05-04-2016 06:35 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 10:44 AM)Marozz Wrote:  Guinness! They also have everything from clocks to golfballs !!

Almost everything I own with a brand or logo was a gift from someone else: I've got Guinness glasses (ok that's fine) a Guinness t-shirt ( I only wear suits so it lives in my laundry bin) all the way to a 3 foot tall stereo speaker in the shape of a pint of Guinness. Why does that even exist? What kind of pikey house do you think I live in?

Now that said....my lizard brain triggers e erytime I see anything Celtic FC and I have to buy it. Outside of that I don't buy anything like that.

Now, Celtic stuff I can understand. Big Grin

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
06-04-2016, 07:54 AM
(06-04-2016 06:03 AM)Marozz Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 06:35 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Almost everything I own with a brand or logo was a gift from someone else: I've got Guinness glasses (ok that's fine) a Guinness t-shirt ( I only wear suits so it lives in my laundry bin) all the way to a 3 foot tall stereo speaker in the shape of a pint of Guinness. Why does that even exist? What kind of pikey house do you think I live in?

Now, Celtic stuff I can understand. Big Grin
I grew up on stories of the Bhoys, I think I heard more about the Lisbon Lions than my own family lol

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
06-04-2016, 09:44 AM
(06-04-2016 07:54 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(06-04-2016 06:03 AM)Marozz Wrote:  Now, Celtic stuff I can understand. Big Grin
I grew up on stories of the Bhoys, I think I heard more about the Lisbon Lions than my own family lol

Now that Rangers have managed to get back into the topflight , we can look forward to some Old Firm games next season. Tongue

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post