Hyperion - Dan Simmons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2014, 04:50 PM
RE: Hyperion - Dan Simmons
I'm somewhere half way through the second book "Fall of Hyperion".

One trope that bugs me is the "a people branched off from civilization, they secretly grow immensely powerful, and then they come back to destroy the original civilization."

Does it explain how the Ousters grew so powerful to overrun humanity? How do they have the industry-schools-agriculture-government to build ships, to train people, sustain them, and to stop them from branching off or infighting.
Throwing your entire civilization to overrun another one is a pretty big campaign/gamble.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2014, 05:55 PM
RE: Hyperion - Dan Simmons
(01-09-2014 04:50 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  I'm somewhere half way through the second book "Fall of Hyperion".

One trope that bugs me is the "a people branched off from civilization, they secretly grow immensely powerful, and then they come back to destroy the original civilization."

Does it explain how the Ousters grew so powerful to overrun humanity? How do they have the industry-schools-agriculture-government to build ships, to train people, sustain them, and to stop them from branching off or infighting.
Throwing your entire civilization to overrun another one is a pretty big campaign/gamble.

You will find out more about the Ousters by the time you reach the end of the novel. I think what you learn will answer your questions. Wink

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply