Hypersonic Spyplanes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Hypersonic Spyplanes
[Image: SR-72.jpg]

Meet the SR-72, the latest in America's continuing obsession with killer drones.

It's a Mach 6 unmanned hypersonic spyplane which can be armed for precision strikes at tremendous velocities.

Under development by the Skunk Works, Lockheed Martin's hush-hush military and CIA aircraft design complex in Burbank, CA, the aircraft is powered by a novel new propulsion system, which combines off-the-shelf fighter turbofan engines with scramjets, supersonic combustion ramjets.

A manned flight test article (prototype airplane) is due to fly in 2018 and the unmanned production variant is scheduled to fly in 2023.

Read More here at Aviation Week and Space Technology.

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx...31.xml&p=1

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
06-11-2013, 11:10 AM
RE: Hypersonic Spyplanes
i'm just hoping this tech leads to cheaper space insertion . id so wish to be on a space station before i de, whatever it costs me.
look down at the earth in the glory of lord hydrogen.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
12-11-2013, 01:09 PM
I've long been fascinated by these kind of insane experimental aircraft, partially inspired by my aviator father. It's always a wonder to see what's been developed, theorized, prototyped, or is being prototyped.

That said, I can't help but wonder what the point is of a hypersonic spyplane, given that satellites do all the same surveillance.

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com
12-11-2013, 03:25 PM
(12-11-2013 01:09 PM)Skeptic Gamer Wrote:  I've long been fascinated by these kind of insane experimental aircraft, partially inspired by my aviator father. It's always a wonder to see what's been developed, theorized, prototyped, or is being prototyped.

That said, I can't help but wonder what the point is of a hypersonic spyplane, given that satellites do all the same surveillance.

Satellites aren't flexible in their coverage - a plane can go where and when it's needed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-11-2013, 05:22 AM
(12-11-2013 03:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 01:09 PM)Skeptic Gamer Wrote:  I've long been fascinated by these kind of insane experimental aircraft, partially inspired by my aviator father. It's always a wonder to see what's been developed, theorized, prototyped, or is being prototyped.

Satellites aren't flexible in their coverage - a plane can go where and when it's needed.

What you said isn't as true now as it used to be.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
14-11-2013, 09:07 AM
(12-11-2013 03:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  

No, but their coverage is staggering, and there is always another satellite ready to take a picture. The vast majority of the aerial imagery the military uses, for instance, tends to be satellite.

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com
14-11-2013, 05:43 PM
(14-11-2013 09:07 AM)Skeptic Gamer Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 03:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  Satellites aren't flexible in their coverage - a plane can go where and when it's needed.

No, but their coverage is staggering, and there is always another satellite ready to take a picture. The vast majority of the aerial imagery the military uses, for instance, tends to be satellite.

The big problem with LEO satellites is they have a predictable 'window' when they pass over, allowing an enemy to cover up sensitive information during these times. Aircraft don't have these problems and existing IADS aren't designed to track an object moving that fast.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
19-11-2013, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2013 03:26 PM by Peebothuhul.)
The book published about Aurora. => http://www.universe-galaxies-stars.com/A...craft.html

Went into details about the different capabilities of satellites vs machines like the SR-71.

Satellites being 'predictable' was one of the issues pointed out. Also...the fact that no missile in existence could reach/intercept even the SR-71 (Not sure how true this is today) is another factor.

Here's a nice 'What if" sketch => http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php?...ew;id=1912
22-11-2013, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2013 09:22 PM by Julius.)
It looks like the SR-72 is just the target for which the Russian S-400 has been waiting.

Mach 6 SR-72, let me introduce you to the Mach 12 S-400 Missile System:

What I find really strange about this missile launch that is demonstrated in the video is that the Russian Operators launch 2 S-400 missiles at a single ballistic target. This is an utter waste of expensive missiles.

Only in an actual battle would you really need to launch 2 missiles at a target (a jet in this case). The first missile is to either hit the target, or miss in the event that the jet makes a hard turn and deploys chaff/flare. The second missile - which is launched behind the first with a slight delay - is to hit the unlucky jet that has just made a hard manuever and lost a lot of kinetic energy as a result.

The SA-5 Missile System with Entry-into-Service of 1967 marked the beginning of the end for the SR-71. As soon as the Soviets let the SA-5 be available to its friends, the SR-71 had no real purpose to fulfill...except in backwards places like Libya or wherever else the Soviets wouldn't sell the SA-5 System. Thus, by the mid-and-late 1970s, the numbers of countries the SR-71 could overfly were rapidly approaching zero.

If the SR-72 were developed, it would be already obsolete for most places that really matter. For example, there would be no overflights of Cuba (well...not unless you just wanted to have a funeral for an SR-72 pilot). And places like China or Russia....Hah!

BTW, the newest generation of missiles (some cruise missiles and some air-to-air) incorporate IR/UV/Visible image recognition via CCD arrays and, as a result, are absolutely immune to chaff, flare or electronic jamming. Sooner or later - probably sooner - I expect to see this technology incorporated on Surface-to-Air Missiles and this will be a bad time to be a fighter pilot in a war zone.
[+] 1 user Likes Julius's post
23-11-2013, 07:08 AM
(06-11-2013 11:01 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  [Image: SR-72.jpg]

Meet the SR-72, the latest in America's continuing obsession with killer drones.

It's a Mach 6 unmanned hypersonic spyplane which can be armed for precision strikes at tremendous velocities.

Under development by the Skunk Works, Lockheed Martin's hush-hush military and CIA aircraft design complex in Burbank, CA, the aircraft is powered by a novel new propulsion system, which combines off-the-shelf fighter turbofan engines with scramjets, supersonic combustion ramjets.

A manned flight test article (prototype airplane) is due to fly in 2018 and the unmanned production variant is scheduled to fly in 2023.

Read More here at Aviation Week and Space Technology.

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx...31.xml&p=1

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]