I Absolutely Do Not Get This Kind of Thinking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2011, 12:49 PM
I Absolutely Do Not Get This Kind of Thinking
Watch the video

http://www.godvine.com/Man-Dying-of-Canc...o-258.html

This guy has absolutely every right to think this way. But seriously, what kind of mental gymnastics does it take to say God's good because God is good, and the worst things that happen are the best things and praise Jesus for healing me and praise Jesus for letting me die...?

I'm glad the guy isn't angry; but acceptance is one thing, eagerness is another. He's viewing his illness as an opportunity to glorify his god, and to convince others that he's part of some divine plan, but it's still all a lie dressed up in pretty talk and calm music.

But if I note this fact anywhere but here (or places like this,) somehow I'm the asshole?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2011, 01:00 PM
RE: I Absolutely Do Not Get This Kind of Thinking
God murdered this man and the man thanked him for it.

"The cancer is the best thing that has ever happened to me."

Really? Cause I would've thought not leaving your wife and children without a father their entire lives would've been the best thing.

"I met Jesus when I was 5 years old."

I burst into laughter when I heard this. One part because I pictured him meeting some mexican fruit vendor named Jesus and another part because of the whole "church pedophilia" thing.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
21-02-2011, 01:21 PM

The core problem with this is that he (and people like him, in similar situations and thought) have a self centered idea that they are so special God wants them to die because they are too special to be on Earth with their "less-divine" family.

Religion is like the water at a public swimming pool. Dirty water goes into the shit-filter where it sucks out the large particles of crap [cancer, or other bad thoughts] and then bleach and other horrible chemicals [religious ideas] are added to kill off the rest. You are left with neutral, diluted water [or thoughts].
Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2011, 02:02 AM

(21-02-2011 01:00 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  God murdered this man and the man thanked him for it.

"The cancer is the best thing that has ever happened to me."

Really? Cause I would've thought not leaving your wife and children without a father their entire lives would've been the best thing.

"I met Jesus when I was 5 years old."

I burst into laughter when I heard this. One part because I pictured him meeting some mexican fruit vendor named Jesus and another part because of the whole "church pedophilia" thing.
I wholly agree with you. I can't understand where these people are coming from, nor do I entirely want to. It sounds slightly masochistic when you think about it.
22-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Well in believing he's going to the kingdom of heaven he shouldn't be that worried about his future. As far as how this is a gift it seems He's saying he realized how little time he'd have on earth, and made the changes he needed to make with his family, friends, and job. Except that, after making these changes he's going to disappear from them and they will be left knowing he was happy to be taken away. Cancer is a better gift than getting a carreer in IT or having a wife and family? I don't think many of the people praising him are really agreeing with his statement. They are just profoundly moved by a dieing man stating it's good to be a dieing man. Believers love stories which compel further belief, because when your belief is based on random anecdotes you need a constant dose of them to keep believing.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
23-02-2011, 10:48 AM
(21-02-2011 12:49 PM)gamutman Wrote:  This guy has absolutely every right to think this way. But seriously, what kind of mental gymnastics does it take to say God's good because God is good, and the worst things that happen are the best things and praise Jesus for healing me and praise Jesus for letting me die...?
All it takes is the realizaton that this present life is only a small part of our total existence. Whatever pain or pleasure we experience here will end but whatever condition we are in afterwards won't. The Bible says in 2 Corinthians 4:17,
Quote:For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
This man obviously believes this and it affects how he sees the things that are happening to him.

Suppose someone said that if you were willing to endure five seconds of intense pain he would make sure that the rest of you life was happy and painfree and you believed that he was able to keep his promise. Wouldn't you accept his offer? Wouldn't the prospect of a pain free life make the five seconds of suffering worthwhile? This is a small scale picture of what the man in the video is experiencing.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-02-2011, 11:00 AM
(23-02-2011 10:48 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Suppose someone said that if you were willing to endure five seconds of intense pain he would make sure that the rest of you life was happy and painfree and you believed that he was able to keep his promise. Wouldn't you accept his offer? Wouldn't the prospect of a pain free life make the five seconds of suffering worthwhile? This is a small scale picture of what the man in the video is experiencing.
But what reason or evidence does anyone have that this person would be able to give you that? And obviously more to the point of your analogy, what evidence does anyone have that this life (the only one we know for sure that we have) is just a small part of existence?

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
23-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Theophilus gets his ideas from scripture and websites that are proven to be full of crap. He won't give you any evidence, he'll just refer you to scripture or the above mentioned sites and say he is giving you evidence. He doesn't get it.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
24-02-2011, 06:51 PM

Am I the only one concerned with the fact that he didn't get Cancer until he started to work of the church as there IT guy? If were wrong and theres a god up there, I think he has something against Geeks and IT Guys DX.

Also, he didn't get Cancer UNTIL he started working of the church. Sounds like a mean god if you ask me.
24-02-2011, 07:52 PM
(24-02-2011 06:51 PM)Elegwa Wrote:  Am I the only one concerned with the fact that he didn't get Cancer until he started to work of the church as there IT guy?

I didn't really worry about it since I kind of concider stage 4 cancer to have been going on much longer, but it is indeed an interesting insight. I suppose the theists approach to this statement would be that "god" did not give this man cancer until he was in a community that would help him learn the truth of it's being a miracle.

To some, inspiring words, to others, utter bullshit. Maybe they should scan the members of that church, perhaps the radiating light of "god" is actually something a bit less spiritual.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.