I Am Not An Atheist, Please Answer My Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2015, 03:03 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 03:15 AM by True Miller.)
Information I Am Not An Atheist, Please Answer My Questions
As told to in my introduction thread, I'm posting my questions here. But to start with, you must understand that I believe in "god"--but not a flying bearded man that smites, but more a divine creator.

I'm not looking for you to disprove religion, as I'm not religious and I couldn't give a flying f-bomb about whether Jesus walked on water or whether we burn for eternity if we're bad on Earth. I just want straight answers about what you think, as a person.

I've grown to assume that Atheists are people that rely on fact, and that they constantly criticise religion for that lack of it. So, I just want to understand your Atheist perspective on these questions.

a) How is everything everything
b) What is existence
c) What purpose do you have in life
d) Why do you abide by religion-based laws
e) Do you believe that everything was created, whether pre-determined or not
f) How can we disprove that everything was made by a divine creator when we are all sat on a flying ball of rock, flying away from the point of creation
g) If you put something in an impenetrable, inescapable box forever (a vast infinite universe), and you never tell it what made the box, or what the box is, how can it ever know anything more than what is in the box?
h) As an atheist, do you care about wrong-doing for anything more than the human consequences?
i) Which religion do you despise most, and give me 3 points as to why. Preferably not tainted by media propaganda.
j) Are you sure that God does not exist.
k) Arguably, the proof that God exists is all around us, existence, so why do Atheists disagree?
l) What do you believe?

More questions may come, but these ones are the ones at the front of my mind. Please try to stay on topic, I want to advance my understanding of atheism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2015, 03:19 AM
RE: I Am Not An Atheist, Please Answer My Questions
K - with shit like this you don't deserve to be treated like something more than troll

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
26-10-2015, 03:24 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 03:28 AM by Mathilda.)
(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  a) How is everything everything

I don't know. Ask a physicist. But we do know that energy cannot be created nor destroyed so as far as we can tell everything that exists has always existed.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  b) What is existence

Everything.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  c) What purpose do you have in life

The purpose I choose to give to my life. Personally speaking I wanted to make a scientific contribution, to make some use of my life that will outlive me.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  d) Why do you abide by religion-based laws

What kind of religion-based laws? Laws of the land? Because they are laws. They may even be worth having despite being religion based. If I do not agree with them because, they do not reduce suffering and are there to protect someone else's power and money, such as blasphemy laws, then I am quite happy to break them if I can get away with it.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  e) Do you believe that everything was created, whether pre-determined or not

No. Everything ultimately self organised. And things that are created are part of a larger self organising process. And let's further define what we mean by created. Something is never created from nothing. It's only ever reshaped. So the head of a hammer used to metal ore in the ground. The handle used to be a seed and soil which grew into a tree which was then cut down and fashioned into a handle etc. At what point did it become a hammer?

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  f) How can we disprove that everything was made by a divine creator when we are all sat on a flying ball of rock, flying away from the point of creation

We can't know that the entire universe wasn't created by creator, but we can know that all a creator did if so was to create a load of energy. Not even matter. Everything since the radiation era after the Big Bang is understood to a lesser or greater degree. We still have some details to figure out though. This makes any creator entirely irrelevant.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  g) If you put something in an impenetrable, inescapable box for entirety (a vast infinite universe), and you never tell it what made the box, or what the box is, how can it ever know anything more than what is in the box?

Wrong analogy. The box did not self organise and there would not be any evidence of it doing so. The box was manufactured. We know that the galaxies, solar systems, planets, chemistry, life, society have developed in complexity over time.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  h) As an atheist, do you care about wrong-doing for anything more than human consequences?

Yes. Because I am human, have human instincts and therefore compassion and empathy. This is where morals come from.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  i) Which religion do you despise most, and give me 3 points as to why. Preferably not tainted by media propaganda.

The Catholic church for covering up child abuse and causing great harm in the world for their own benefit.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  j) Why does God not exist.

Define what a god is then I can answer your question.
[+] 12 users Like Mathilda's post
26-10-2015, 04:09 AM
a) I don`t understand the question
b) Could you rephrase the question? This way is way too broad.
c) There is no universal purpose , it is up to you to give whatever purpose you choose to your life
d) I don`t, I live in a secular country and laws are not religion based
e) No
f) So what? That doesn`t require a creator. And the burden of proof is not with us anyway.
g) Yes , it can`t know anything that is outside of the box, but that doesn`t justify making up something you have no proof of. Believing in god based on not knowing "what is outside of the box" is like saying " I don`t know....therefore I know...god" , doesn`t make any sense. Just except you don`t know and that`s it.
h) Fear of consequences is not what is stopping me from doing wrong. I choose not to do wrong just based on my personal morals.
i) I despise extremism in any religion, if it`s just a personal belief that you don`t force on anybody else, I have no problem with it.
j) As it is described in any major religion of the world - Yes.
k) No, it isn`t all around us, in fact there is absolutely not a shred of evidence that god exists, and this is why atheists disagree.
I) I believe in things that can be proven and tested

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
26-10-2015, 04:10 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 06:27 AM by Ace.)
(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  As told to in my introduction thread, I'm posting my questions here. But to start with, you must understand that I believe in "god"--but not a flying bearded man that smites, but more a divine creator.

I'm not looking for you to disprove religion, as I'm not religious and I couldn't give a flying f-bomb about whether Jesus walked on water or whether we burn for eternity if we're bad on Earth. I just want straight answers about what you think, as a person.

I've grown to assume that Atheists are people that rely on fact, and that they constantly criticise religion for that lack of it. So, I just want to understand your Atheist perspective on these questions.

Quote:a) How is everything everything

what does this even mean ? everything is a word we made up to represent an entire set of items according to a criteria and in the context its being used in
'everything' can represent all that exists in the universe/existence/my closet etc
its nothing more than a linguistic tool

Quote:b) What is existence
the fact or state of living or having objective reality.
continued survival.

source is google

Quote:c) What purpose do you have in life
life has only one real function and that is to ensure the continuity of life by survival and reproduction, if it wasn't then none of us would be alive right now
so you can make your own purpose, it doesn't matter what purpose you make for your life

Quote:d) Why do you abide by religion-based laws
your asking this to non-believers ? we don't abide by any religious laws capisce

Quote:e) Do you believe that everything was created, whether pre-determined or not

short answer, no, no no no no, NO
long answer: watch the entire

Quote:f) How can we disprove that everything was made by a divine creator when we are all sat on a flying ball of rock, flying away from the point of creation

Quote:g) If you put something in an impenetrable, inescapable box forever (a vast infinite universe), and you never tell it what made the box, or what the box is, how can it ever know anything more than what is in the box?
falsification

I shall counter you box with another box

Quote:h) As an atheist, do you care about wrong-doing for anything more than the human consequences?
how morality works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDi7_4Bc...uk&index=7

Quote:i) Which religion do you despise most, and give me 3 points as to why. Preferably not tainted by media propaganda.
all of em

Quote:l) What do you believe?
anything that can be proven

Quote:k) Arguably, the proof that God exists is all around us, existence, so why do Atheists disagree?

oh you have forced me to bring out the heavy artillery

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html
Why do people laugh at creationists?
Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Philosophical Failures of Christian Apologetics

Psychology of Belief
Me Versus God

[+] 7 users Like Ace's post
26-10-2015, 04:25 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 04:29 AM by Full Circle.)
(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  Please try to stay on topic, I want to advance my understanding of atheism.

Hello TM.

You do realize that all atheism is is the non-belief in the supernatural or gods right? I say this because it seems to me by your questions that for you atheists somehow fall outside the “human” experience.

Anyway a few of the questions that caught my eye:

d) Why do you abide by religion-based laws. - Consider remember that all “laws” and morality preceed religion. If we are talking about specific stuff like circumcision, stoning and not eating a nice shrimp pasta then no, I do my best not to abide by them.

h) As an atheist, do you care about wrong-doing for anything more than human consequences? - I think you mean human consequences to only encompass prison as a for instance (am I wrong in this assumption?). If you look at my by-line “A clear conscience is the softest pillow” I can unequivocally say that my evolved empathetic “moral” compass guides my day to day interactions with others. I can tell you that I am more compassionate to my fellow human being now than I ever was before breaking the chains of indoctrination.

i) Which religion do you despise most, and give me 3 points as to why. Preferably not tainted by media propaganda. - I’m grouping the three Abrahamic religions as one. Child indoctrination, active opposition to science, us vs them mentality

j) Why does God not exist. - Define what a god is then I can answer your question. ~ Mathilda

Now I have a few questions for you:

1) Do scientific gaps in the human compendium of knowledge frighten you?

2) In general do you currently adhere to the religion your parents brought you up in?

3) How do distinguish fact from fantasy?

Looking forward to your answers...tit for tat and all that.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 10 users Like Full Circle's post
26-10-2015, 04:29 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 09:12 AM by DLJ.)
This should be fun.

I note from the OP that this is only about atheism (not theism) so once I've finished answering, I'll move it to the Ask An Atheist section.

It isn't always ... spellcheckers help.

b) What is existence

All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste
All you feel.
All that you love
All that you hate
All you distrust
All you save.
All that you give
All that you deal
All that you buy, beg, borrow or steal.
All you create
All you destroy
All that you do
All that you say.
All that you eat
And everyone you meet
All that you slight
And everyone you fight.
All that is now
All that is gone
All that's to come

(if there's anyone who read that and could not hear the tune in your head ... I don't want to know you.)

Easy one. See signature. "To pass on my DNA".

So I don't get arrested or worse.

Yes. Ex materia

f) How can we disprove that everything was made by a divine creator when we are all sat on a flying ball of rock, flying away from the point of creation
[Image: bayes%2527.jpg]

g) If you put something in an impenetrable, inescapable box forever (a vast infinite universe), and you never tell it what made the box, or what the box is, how can it ever know anything more than what is in the box?

Are you forgetting the inside of the box itself? It will be able to understand that too.

h) As an atheist, do you care about wrong-doing for anything more than the human consequences?

Humanism is so short-sighted. Humans are temporary.

i) Which religion do you despise most, and give me 3 points as to why. Preferably not tainted by media propaganda.

That all depends on with whom I am conversing.

Consider

Catholicism is definitely in the top three.
- Child rape
- Same business model and ethics as the Mafia with added totalitarianism.
- Did I mention child rape?

Islam is in the top three too because it is non-ethical (and totalitarian).

But I have a soft spot for the Jains.

Specify that god (or goddess) and its attributes and again ...

k) Arguably, the proof that God exists is all around us, existence, so why do Atheists disagree?

Key word "arguably".

I think the argument is over. Now it's just about teasing the afflicted.

Drinking Beverage

l) What do you believe?

“I believe the 11 bus will take me to Hammersmith; I don’t believe it’s driven by Father Christmas”

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  ...
I want to advance my understanding of atheism.

Where shall I send the invoice?

Tongue

[+] 10 users Like DLJ's post
26-10-2015, 04:32 AM
(26-10-2015 04:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  This should be fun.

Key word "arguably".

Drinking Beverage

[Image: EM9rl6c.gif?zoom=2]

Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
26-10-2015, 04:35 AM
Long list of questions and kind of snotty phrasing. I'm not going to answer point by point, but will hit a couple of highlights.

I follow laws because if I don't, I will get in trouble for breaking them. Laws in the USA and elsewhere--I am in the USA--often coincide with various religious prohibitions (such as laws against theft, etc.), but that does not make the laws religion-based. I always vote against religion-based laws and urge everyone to do the same.

I have plenty of subjective meaning and purpose in my life. I don't require objective meaning.

Between the two frameworks for explaining life, the universe, etc., "goddidit" and "science explains or may eventually explain it," the second makes more sense to me. No one has ever successfully demonstrated to me that god is a better explanation for anything.

All religions are wrong; all religions can be and are used to justify horrid behavior to other humans. There is no religion where good points outbalance the bad points.

I have no interest in convincing you that your god doesn't exist. I don't make a positive claim that no god exists. I am not interested in your claims for god, because knowing that a god exists would make zero difference in the way I live, because god is either so distant that it doesn't matter or so vile that worshiping him is an immoral act.

I hope this helps you understand my position, which is representative of me, not everyone on this site or all atheists.
[+] 8 users Like julep's post
26-10-2015, 04:37 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 04:44 AM by Octapulse.)
(26-10-2015 04:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  This should be fun.

I note from the OP that this is only about atheism (not theism) so once I've finished answering, I'll move it to the Ask An Atheist section.

It isn't always ... spellcheckers help.

b) What is existence

All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste
All you feel.
All that you love
All that you hate
All you distrust
All you save.
All that you give
All that you deal
All that you buy, beg, borrow or steal.
All you create
All you destroy
All that you do
All that you say.
All that you eat
And everyone you meet
All that you slight
And everyone you fight.
All that is now
All that is gone
All that's to come

(if there's anyone who read that and could not hear the tune in your head ... I don't want to know you.)

Easy one. See signature. "To pass on my DNA".

Yes. Ex materia

Are you forgetting the inside of the box? It will be able to understand that too.

Humanism is so short-sighted. Humans are temporary.

That all depends on to whom I am conversing.

Consider

Catholicism is definitely in the top three.
- Child rape
- Same business model and ethics as the Mafia with added totalitarianism.
- Did I mention child rape?

Islam is in the top three too because it is non-ethical (and totalitarian).

But I have a soft spot for the Jains.

Specify that god (or goddess) and its attributes and again ...

Key word "arguably".

Drinking Beverage

l) What do you believe?

“I believe the 11 bus will take me to Hammersmith; I don’t believe it’s driven by Father Christmas”

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  I want to advance my understanding of atheism.

Where shall I send the invoice?

Tongue

Have we now gone to the darkside of DLJ?

Laugh out load

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post