I Am Not An Atheist, Please Answer My Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2015, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 10:30 AM by True Miller.)
RE: I Am Not An Atheist, Please Answer My Questions
(26-10-2015 10:16 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  1. Nothing before everything, or possibly something, or maybe its always been here we don't know yet. Then a single dot of energy happened and it started time and then space happened and that dot grew bigger and bigger resembling an explosion as space expanded and continues to do so today.

This "single dot of energy" I would describe as a divine, or God, or an intervening of God. What do atheists think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2015, 10:34 AM
(26-10-2015 10:25 AM)True Miller Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 10:16 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  1. Nothing before everything, or possibly something, or maybe its always been here we don't know yet. Then a single dot of energy happened and it started time and then space happened and that dot grew bigger and bigger resembling an explosion as space expanded and continues to do so today.

This "single dot of energy" I would describe as a divine, or God, or an intervening of God. What do atheists think?

It works without that descriptor/ assumption. Nor is there any evidence to assume that this "dot of energy" cares about what we do, what we don't do, or is conscious at all. All of those are more assumptions than even the most ardent atheist needs to make.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
26-10-2015, 10:36 AM
(26-10-2015 10:25 AM)True Miller Wrote:  

There is no reason to say so or think that. For everything in the universe that exists, there is a perfectly naturalistic explaination for. For everything we don't know yet, there will be an eventual answer for and nothing, not one thing has ever required a "supernatural" explaination for it working.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
26-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Hello! Big Grin

Sorry I'm slow to post/respond.

Different time zones and being taken downby the flue.

(26-10-2015 10:23 AM)True Miller Wrote:  No, I wrote it myself. But I'm sure that same question plagues theists that are considering atheism as another potential.

Thumbsup

I hope you not by other people's responses that there seems to be a 'similar' type of thinking on the theist side of things that, even though, you've put together these thoughts yourself.... Lots of others before you have posted pretty much the exact same questions before. Smile

(26-10-2015 10:23 AM)True Miller Wrote:  I assume its our belief framework, theists believe that something puts something somewhere, atheists believe that everything has always been, however science can only observe? And atheists base everything on Science? Correct me if I am wrong.

But... when you say "Theists believe something put something some where."

Are you talking about plate tectonics which put the mountains where they are?

Are you talking about the thunderstorms which put the lightning where it is?

Now.. before people really used said scientific method to propose, test and verify ideas... Well, yes. People did say,

"Deity X put that mountain there. They hold parties every second weekend."

OR,

"Gosh, Deity Y is really pissed that the Frost Giants haven't returned the lawn mower. Listen to the thunder and lighting they are throwing about."

So far science in the roughly two to three hundred years we've been doing it has had a pretty good track record of working things out... and leading onto working out more and bigger things all the time.

Though, what science has to do with pretty much anything else of your questions? Consider

Hope that rambling reply helps.

Yay cough medicine.. and medicinal rum.. and stuff. Blush
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
26-10-2015, 10:59 AM
(26-10-2015 10:21 AM)True Miller Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 06:45 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  And how did your god became existent?

My assumption of god is that (as mentioned in your responded to post) it is not restricted by the same bounds that our perception of reality presents. But rather, they are of another "level" or "dimension", one where bounds such as creating manner is no different to us manipulating the matter that we are surrounded by. The only way that we could possibly comprehend this from our reality would be by using infinities of large, small, nothing and everything; unfortunately our 3D reality won't allow us the comprehend further.
That is a huge and unnecessary assumption to make, not to mention it is not supported by any evidence.
More importantly , what is the point in trying to comprehend something that is beyond our comprehension?
Your own view of incomprehensible creator renders the very belief in him pointless.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 3 users Like Slowminded's post
26-10-2015, 11:11 AM
(26-10-2015 10:09 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 09:02 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Is this question list posted somewhere for theists to copy paste? Because I'm pretty sure it's the same list every time.
You are so right. We'll have to find that list and give it to all theists when they join.

There's an idea. We could make a list of the most commonly asked questions and their answers.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
26-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Quote:a) How is everything everything
b) What is existence
c) What purpose do you have in life
d) Why do you abide by religion-based laws
e) Do you believe that everything was created, whether pre-determined or not
f) How can we disprove that everything was made by a divine creator when we are all sat on a flying ball of rock, flying away from the point of creation
g) If you put something in an impenetrable, inescapable box forever (a vast infinite universe), and you never tell it what made the box, or what the box is, how can it ever know anything more than what is in the box?
h) As an atheist, do you care about wrong-doing for anything more than the human consequences?
i) Which religion do you despise most, and give me 3 points as to why. Preferably not tainted by media propaganda.
j) Are you sure that God does not exist.
k) Arguably, the proof that God exists is all around us, existence, so why do Atheists disagree?
l) What do you believe?

a) Don't know.
b) Don't know.
c) Don't know, probably don't have one.
d) Which religion-based laws? If you're talking about "don't kill other people", there's no reason to think that religion is necessary for that idea to develop. The only thing that's required is a sense of compassion for other human beings, which can be acquired without religion, simply by being a well-developed human being. Moreover, plenty of people in the Bible killed a lot of people, because they believed their god commanded it.
e) What do you mean by a "point of creation"? The Universe has no discernible origin point.
g) Don't understand the question.
h) Yes, because I have a sense of compassion for other human beings.
i) Despise is too strong of a word. I dislike Christianity and Scientology the most.
j) No, but I think it's highly probable that a god does not exist.
k) Why is existence proof of god? 99.99999(etc)% of the Universe is inhospitable and practically empty space, probably never going to be used for anything, and it's only going to keep expanding as far as we know. How is that intelligent design? If the goal was to create a Universe for humans to exist in, that's not good design at all. That, along with many other things, seems to demonstrate to me that the Universe was not made for us.
i) Depends what you mean by believe. I believe I exist and that there is an external reality. I also believe that people can cope with there likely being no purpose to this reality, they simply need the mental/emotional tools to do so.
26-10-2015, 11:33 AM
(26-10-2015 10:23 AM)True Miller Wrote:  And atheists base everything on Science? Correct me if I am wrong.

Incorrect. My reasons for not believing are not based on science.
26-10-2015, 11:54 AM
(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  More questions may come, but these ones are the ones at the front of my mind. Please try to stay on topic, I want to advance my understanding of atheism.

I'm not going to waste my time re-writing the answers that most have already given while peppering with my own thoughts here or there. However, i wanted to address your statement of wanting to "advance your understanding of atheism."

Atheism is simply a rejection of the belief in a deity. That's it. There's nothing more to that word than the sentence I just provided. However, there are reasons WHY people reject that notion and this is what you should strive to understand.

Reason. Logic. The process of science.

If you understand and apply those three concepts to reality and the world as you know it, while keeping as intellectually honest as possible, you will understand why people reject the belief in a deity. The universe and everything in it exists just as it would seem to without a god. Adding a "god-done-it" mentality to what you don't understand only serves to punt the ball further down the road and eventually you still have to explain this god without pushing it back to anything. Logically, it just can't be done. Happy searching though! Smile

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
26-10-2015, 12:04 PM
I never did understand people willing to write hundreds of words simply to rehash questions that have already been answered.

I'd suggest that the OP should learn how to use the site's search function.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post