I Am Not An Atheist, Please Answer My Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2015, 12:16 PM
RE: I Am Not An Atheist, Please Answer My Questions
(26-10-2015 09:38 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 08:20 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I believe pepperoni is a superior pizza topping to mushrooms.

This is a damned lie.

Blasphemer!

Obviously we need to set up a test where we consume mass quantities of both pepperoni and mushroom pizzas to evaluate these hypotheses. I volunteer as a test subject.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
26-10-2015, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 12:54 PM by enochian.)
(26-10-2015 09:21 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 09:01 AM)enochian Wrote:  And yet looking at the various arguments in this very thread supports exactly what I'm saying.

Facepalm

Fucking pretentious Buddhists.

Pretentious New Atheists think its profound to reject a Creator.

Yet ancient Indian philosophies such as Buddhism, Samkhya, Advaita Vedanta, Jainism, Vaisesika etc. long ago proved a Creator was the stupidest philosophy around.
26-10-2015, 12:52 PM
(26-10-2015 12:43 PM)enochian Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 09:21 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Facepalm

Fucking pretentious Buddhists.

Pretentious New Atheists think its profound to reject a Creator.

Yet ancient Indian philosophies such as Buddhism, Samkhya, Advaita Vedanta, Jainism, Vaisesika etc. long ago proved a Creator was the stupidest philosophy around.

"rejecting a Creator" implies that there is one to reject.

I simply don't find a creator plausible or evident.

There's nothing profound about not believing in something that's implausible.

It's just logical.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 9 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-10-2015, 01:24 PM
If we do come up with a list, we should make the answers community driven and then voted on. Like a contest or something.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
26-10-2015, 01:37 PM
(26-10-2015 10:25 AM)True Miller Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 10:16 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  1. Nothing before everything, or possibly something, or maybe its always been here we don't know yet. Then a single dot of energy happened and it started time and then space happened and that dot grew bigger and bigger resembling an explosion as space expanded and continues to do so today.

This "single dot of energy" I would describe as a divine, or God, or an intervening of God. What do atheists think?

It's a nice fantasy, but it needs some dragons and vampires. Thumbsup
If that's what you think a god is, I have news for you. You're NOT a theist.

Perhaps you should look up "ambiguity tolerance", and "(need for) cognitive closure", and ask yourself why you are asking these questions in this way. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-10-2015, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 01:56 PM by Adrianime.)
I'm going to answer without reading other answers. So if I repeat somebody else that's why.
(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  a) How is everything everything
? What? Are you asking for like, the answer to every question that exists? I'm not a god, nor am I a scientist who specializes in origin or cause. My thought is that we will never know everything. A god answer to questions like these is just an unfounded guess that I don't take seriously.
Quote:b) What is existence
That sum of all that is. This would be the things you can physically interact with and ideas. And just because an idea exists doesn't mean the subject of the idea exists.
Quote:c) What purpose do you have in life
I've been saying this most of my life, but the purpose of life is to be happy. I think it is wrong to directly/intentionally cause unhappiness in others to obtain happiness, but besides that I think just do whatever makes you happy. Help others, or don't. Be a recluse. Care for animals. Whatever floats your boat.
Quote:d) Why do you abide by religion-based laws
What religion based laws? I don't know of any. In general I abide by laws for two reasons. 1, My moral compass tells me certain actions are "not good" so I don't do them. 2, Breaking the law (i.e. suffering the consequences) is a quick way to ruin my own happiness. Being a law abiding citizen is the easier way to be a happy person IMO.
Quote:e) Do you believe that everything was created, whether pre-determined or not
I don't believe that a creator existed/exists to create everything.
Quote:f) How can we disprove that everything was made by a divine creator when we are all sat on a flying ball of rock, flying away from the point of creation
Pink invisible unicorns. I'll elaborate if needed.
Quote:g) If you put something in an impenetrable, inescapable box forever (a vast infinite universe), and you never tell it what made the box, or what the box is, how can it ever know anything more than what is in the box?
It can't. So much is theoretically possible, but that's where reason comes into play. What reasons convince you of specific answers to this question. "How can we learn what we don't know and possibly have no way of knowing?" Religion's answer: "make stuff up that sounds nice and makes us special."
Quote:h) As an atheist, do you care about wrong-doing for anything more than the human consequences?
Same answer as d. But to expand, empathy and sympathy play a huge part in morality. These are parts of being human. Morality plays a huge part in law-making.
Quote:i) Which religion do you despise most, and give me 3 points as to why. Preferably not tainted by media propaganda.
Meh, probably a toss up between Islam and Christianity. Islam is demonstrably worse for the world right now, but Christianity affects me more in America. 3 points:
1. Giving up self worth and self identity so that an imaginary character known as god is the number 1 most important thing.
2. Morality dictated by religious books (and the cherry picking to avoid the terrible while keeping the bad). Especially morality that impacts friendships, romance, and family relationships. I really hate tribalism and the "they aren't good (enough) people because they don't believe what we believe."
3. The corrupt, controlling, money making powerhouse that is religion. It's so obvious a mechanism to make money and control others that it is just a huge shame we let it thrive.
Quote:j) Are you sure that God does not exist.
Yes (although mine isn't a popular stance for atheists).
Quote:k) Arguably, the proof that God exists is all around us, existence, so why do Atheists disagree?
Arguably, it is obvious that all goodness comes from the pink invisible unicorn. So, why would anybody disagree?
Quote:l) What do you believe?
About what? Be specific.

Regarding disproof. The realm of possible explanations is only limited by human imagination. I feel no desire/need to disprove some idea that somebody has come up with. Especially since these ideas often go against physics and biology as we know it. So if people don't consider the fact that "miracles" go against all we have learned through science and observance as pretty great evidence against miraculous claims then I don't think anything I say is going to have much effect. Also, most religious claims are unfalsifiable in that they pretty much work in the same way that anecdotal evidence works. "I/he/she/they felt/saw/experienced this/that therefor it must be true, even though there is no actual physical proof that this is true." They also make claims that are vague and are untestable. If you are telling me something anecdotal, or telling me something that is vague and untestable I have two options. 1. Take it at face value and just assume it is true because you said it. 2. Analyze the claim, compare it to my current knowledge pool and evaluate the likelihood of it being true. Then compare that result to the likelihood of you either lying or having been fooled. At this point I'll either be convinced or not convinced. I may also be "agnostically" or "gnostically" convinced/ not convinced as well Tongue.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
26-10-2015, 02:27 PM
(26-10-2015 10:23 AM)True Miller Wrote:  And atheists base everything on Science? Correct me if I am wrong.
I was an atheist before I knew what science was. Everything I have learned my whole life (science included) has reinforced atheism to be true.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
26-10-2015, 02:33 PM
(26-10-2015 02:27 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 10:23 AM)True Miller Wrote:  And atheists base everything on Science? Correct me if I am wrong.
I was an atheist before I knew what science was. Everything I have learned my whole life (science included) has reinforced atheism to be true.

Yeah you can be a critical thinker without being a scientist. The field of science is a formalised and reliable way for society to employ critical thinking skills.

Whether society actually listens to the results is another matter ...
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
26-10-2015, 02:57 PM
(26-10-2015 10:21 AM)True Miller Wrote:  My assumption of god is that (as mentioned in your responded to post) it is not restricted by the same bounds that our perception of reality presents.

So what's the difference between a God that can't be proven to exist within the bounds of our reality and a God that doesn't exist at all??

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-10-2015, 03:00 PM
(26-10-2015 02:27 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  

Me too.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post