I Am Not An Atheist, Please Answer My Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2015, 05:36 PM
RE: I Am Not An Atheist, Please Answer My Questions
(26-10-2015 03:43 PM)enochian Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 12:52 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  "rejecting a Creator" implies that there is one to reject.

I simply don't find a creator plausible or evident.

There's nothing profound about not believing in something that's implausible.

It's just logical.

Ancient Indian Buddhists, Samkhyans, Vedantins, Jains, Vaisesikas etc. pointed this out a couple thousand years ago.

Western atheism is late to the party.

Atheism is as old as religion. It was not normally voiced because of persecution.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2015, 05:40 PM
(26-10-2015 04:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 04:37 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  ...
Have we now gone to the darkside of DLJ?

Laugh out load

The trick was convincing you that there was a light side.

Evil_monster

bonus points if you heard the last two lines in your head too.

"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-10-2015, 06:09 PM
(26-10-2015 05:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 04:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  The trick was convincing you that there was a light side.

Evil_monster

bonus points if you heard the last two lines in your head too.

"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

+1 for the Pink Floyd reference. Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
26-10-2015, 08:41 PM
a) How is everything everything?

How is your mother your mother ?
When a mommy universe and a daddy universe really like each other, they make a baby universe. It is their everything.

b) What is existence?

Its the stuff that exists. Damn. Were these questions keeping you awake at night ?

c) What purpose do you have in life?

My purpose is to live a good life and help others do the same.

d) Why do you abide by religion-based laws?

I abide by legal laws. Most of the time.

e) Do you believe that everything was created, whether pre-determined or not?

Nope. In much the same way an ice cube isn't created.

f) How can we disprove that everything was made by a divine creator when we are all sat on a flying ball of rock, flying away from the point of creation?

First of all, you don't start with trying to disprove every crackpot idea. You should start with observing reality and then construct models that best reflect what you observe.

g) If you put something in an impenetrable, inescapable box forever (a vast infinite universe), and you never tell it what made the box, or what the box is, how can it ever know anything more than what is in the box?

This question needs to be retooled, but in essence, all we know about the universe is from the stuff we observe.

h) As an atheist, do you care about wrong-doing for anything more than the human consequences?

The human consequences are all we have. Any other consequences are imaginary.

i) Which religion do you despise most, and give me 3 points as to why. Preferably not tainted by media propaganda.

I despise the religion that kills other people, rapes children, mutilates people who don't believe as they do and the one that poisons everything it touches. Which religion am I talking about ?

j) Are you sure that God does not exist.

I'm certain an all powerful being that doesn't want me to eat shrimp doesn't exist. I'm also certain every god that humans have ever invented don't exist either.

How can I be so certain ?

The answer is quite simple. If I can construct an imaginary god with the same powers and attributes of any god, then all of those imaginary gods I constructed are equal in every way to the gods that other people believe are real. That means those gods that people believe in, are also imaginary.

k) Arguably, the proof that God exists is all around us, existence, so why do Atheists disagree?

The only thing that is all around us is the universe. The universe proves that the universe exists and that's it. The universe isn't proof that all the creation myths from thousands of cultures are true.

I can't make up a fantastic story about how I came from another planet and then use my existence as proof of that story. Sorry bub, it doesn't work that way.

l) What do you believe?

I believe that I'm alive and I believe that while I am alive, I'm going to enjoy it because its the only life I'm guaranteed to have.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
26-10-2015, 11:33 PM
(26-10-2015 11:11 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 10:09 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  You are so right. We'll have to find that list and give it to all theists when they join.

There's an idea. We could make a list of the most commonly asked questions and their answers.

well we already have a large list ready in the resource library Drinking Beverage
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
26-10-2015, 11:56 PM
(26-10-2015 03:43 PM)enochian Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 12:52 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  "rejecting a Creator" implies that there is one to reject.

I simply don't find a creator plausible or evident.

There's nothing profound about not believing in something that's implausible.

It's just logical.

Ancient Indian Buddhists, Samkhyans, Vedantins, Jains, Vaisesikas etc. pointed this out a couple thousand years ago.

Western atheism is late to the party.

Assuming your claims for the sake of argument, who fucking cares? Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
27-10-2015, 01:08 AM
(26-10-2015 10:25 AM)True Miller Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 10:16 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  1. Nothing before everything, or possibly something, or maybe its always been here we don't know yet. Then a single dot of energy happened and it started time and then space happened and that dot grew bigger and bigger resembling an explosion as space expanded and continues to do so today.

This "single dot of energy" I would describe as a divine, or God, or an intervening of God. What do atheists think?

This "single dot of energy" I would describe as a Mozzarella, or Gouda, or an intervening of Cheddar. What do theists think?

[Image: latest?cb=20130316151154]

Funny thing is, my version makes just as much sense as yours, and is equally unfalsifiable and vapid. Also, cheese evidently exists, unlike any supernatural deity. Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
27-10-2015, 02:28 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2015 08:58 PM by Free Thought.)
(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  As told to in my introduction thread, I'm posting my questions here. But to start with, you must understand that I believe in "god"--but not a flying bearded man that smites, but more a divine creator.

I'm not looking for you to disprove religion, as I'm not religious and I couldn't give a flying f-bomb about whether Jesus walked on water or whether we burn for eternity if we're bad on Earth. I just want straight answers about what you think, as a person.

I've grown to assume that Atheists are people that rely on fact, and that they constantly criticise religion for that lack of it. So, I just want to understand your Atheist perspective on these questions.

I didn't see your intro, welcome to the forum.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  a) How is everything everything

I assume this is a variation of 'why does the universe appear to be the way it is'?

It may be an unsatisfying answer, but 'it is as it is, such is it'. To may less-than-layman's understanding of the physics, the universe is in the way because that is how things work; outside of it, things get a little screwy (from our limited perspective)

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  b) What is existence

'Existence' is either the state of being present in space-time, or the sum of all things within it, depending on context. I think both may apply to the question.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  c) What purpose do you have in life

My purpose, if it can be called that, is to merely learn as much as I can throughout my life, and pass the knowledge onward to the future as a sort of legacy.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  d) Why do you abide by religion-based laws

That depend on how we define 'religion-based laws'. Do I follow the biblical laws that state I must make an occasional unleavened sacrifice to a war deity or that I must kill people who gather sticks for a fire to keep warm, than no. I don't, and I oppose them.

If we mean religiously motivated legislation outside of religious canon, such as the establishment of special time on religious days that shops are not allowed to operate in for worship sake, I will support those who oppose such things, as my limited means prevent my active participation against such nonsense..

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  e) Do you believe that everything was created, whether pre-determined or not

By the strictest definition, I do not believe everything was created; it necessitates an additional assumption, which itself requires assumptions to use.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  f) How can we disprove that everything was made by a divine creator when we are all sat on a flying ball of rock, flying away from the point of creation

This question make no sense to me whatsoever.
First of all; we're not 'flying away from the point of creation', at best we're being pushed along in the general direct of 'away from the unknown point at which physics tells us everything once was'. (It's a semantic and interpretative difference, but I feel it was a valid thing to point out, due to the inherent assumption)
Secondly; we don't need to be there to determine the events; we can look at the evidence and how the universe is known to work to establish what happened in the beginning yoctoseconds after expansion began.
Third; the question is assuming that there was a 'creation event',
And onto Fourth; the question is attempting to reverse the burden of proof of their assumption to the negative, rather than positive.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  g) If you put something in an impenetrable, inescapable box forever (a vast infinite universe), and you never tell it what made the box, or what the box is, how can it ever know anything more than what is in the box?

It depend on how far the life-forms doing the 'out-of-the-box' thinking will go; they could be able to detect the fact there there is a box, and thus while not knowing what is beyond it, know that there is at least an 'outside-the-box'.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  h) As an atheist, do you care about wrong-doing for anything more than the human consequences?

That depends, again, on definition of 'wrong-donging' and how you mean 'more than the human consequences'; as a human being, I care about whether poor human behaviour has negative consequences on the world around us, but I don't get antsy that me telling a lie may lead me to face the wrath of a sky-wizard who hates dishonesty, but wont show himself until the end and abides the existence of fraudsters.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  i) Which religion do you despise most, and give me 3 points as to why. Preferably not tainted by media propaganda.

I don't especially despise any religion; my dislike for them is more-or-less uniform. However, if I had to go on a limb and focus my objections; any religion that has the arrogance to claim itself to be the sole giver of truth, or gall enough to suppress women into becoming The Faceless worthy only of using for production, or the temerity to promote the killing of innocents and civilians to appease the god in question and says that to die in such a service is the best possible death, will most certainly earn my greatest ire.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  j) Are you sure that God does not exist.

I am as sure as I can possibly be given the total lack of evidence I have been given.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  k) Arguably, the proof that God exists is all around us, existence, so why do Atheists disagree?

The burden of proof is yours, and you has admitted that it is arguable, so I must insist that you argue your case and demonstrate this 'evidence' while showing yours to be the superior explanation.

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  l) What do you believe?

I believe in a great many more things than would be practical to write at the time. Narrow it down.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
27-10-2015, 02:47 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2015 03:02 AM by Stevil.)
a) How is everything everything
Good good, thanks for asking
b) What is existence
The opposite of non existence
c) What purpose do you have in life
I haven't really decided what my purpose is to be. I do have some short to medium term goals though. I am trying to learn "Forgiven" on the piano and will post it on YouTube once with my 6 year old singing along. Should be a great experience for her. I'm also looking to advance my career by developing my knowledge, skills and experience. I'm looking forward to my 6 year old playing netball and will be super excited when my 4 year old goes to school for the first time and also takes up netball. Also looking forward to seeing them perform on piano and perform for dancing.
d) Why do you abide by religion-based laws
I generally abide by the law regardless of the basis of law, because I don't want to go to prison or be fined or have a criminal record.
e) Do you believe that everything was created, whether pre-determined or not
Not sure what you mean by "everything" or "created". Energy cannot be created or destroyed, that's the law of conservation.
f) How can we disprove that everything was made by a divine creator when we are all sat on a flying ball of rock, flying away from the point of creation
Are we flying away from the point of creation?
Our universe is expanding and had a beginning to this expansion event (not sure if it is a creation event), but I don't even think that there is a point of origin, as in, an x,y,z coordinate in space. Space itself is expanding everywhere, not from a single point.
How can we disprove a divine creator? Well, in order to disprove a claim the claim needs to include falsifiable criteria. If it doesn't then the claim is incomplete and this needs to be addressed before we can make any attempts to validate or disprove it.

g) If you put something in an impenetrable, inescapable box forever (a vast infinite universe), and you never tell it what made the box, or what the box is, how can it ever know anything more than what is in the box?
Ohh, I like puzzles.
By being creative, by being conceptual, we can discover a great deal of knowledge that is beyond merely counting and categorizing fundamental particles.

h) As an atheist, do you care about wrong-doing for anything more than the human consequences?
I think the term "wrong-doing" is insufficently formulated to evaluate. It's an incomplete and vague concept which can be the formula for endless debates.
i) Which religion do you despise most, and give me 3 points as to why. Preferably not tainted by media propaganda.
I'm not terribly fond of religion. It's not for me.
j) Are you sure that God does not exist.
The god claims haven't been sufficiently formulated for evaluation. Could easily lead to various disagreements, wars and endless debates.
k) Arguably, the proof that God exists is all around us, existence, so why do Atheists disagree?
Atheists disagree on many things. We aren't really a unified group. Atheist is merely a label to denote that a person lacks a belief in gods. It's not like a group or a community or anything.
l) What do you believe?
Can you be more specific?

(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  I want to advance my understanding of atheism.
I don't believe that statement is true.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
27-10-2015, 04:17 AM
(26-10-2015 03:03 AM)True Miller Wrote:  Please try to stay on topic, I want to advance my understanding of atheism.

Hey there bud, having trouble? Well now, let me help you out.

Have you though about god? Okay, what about other gods? You know, those thousands upon thousands of disparate and mutually exclusive pantheons of belief?

All of those other gods you already don't believe in?

Atheism is just like that, only we don't make a superfluous exemption for one of them.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 8 users Like EvolutionKills's post