I Believe.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2011, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2011 11:12 PM by Mr Woof.)
I Believe.....
I presently believe the following............

(1) The God concept is the most intrigueing notion on earth.

(2)Religious fundamentalist folk may be well intentioned but are playing with fire.

(3) Science (scientism) is more likely to destroy us all than save us.

(4)The worst aspects of technology may drive us all insane before (3)

(5)Altruism may not? exist as whatever we do is essentially for our self...............?

(6) A sound ethics based on evolutionary theory is very difficult to formulate. Perhaps Buddhism goes closest in terms of how , at least some of them, do not see God as fully functional in the way theists do.

(7)[i][i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." Blaise Pascall. (Philosopher, theologian, scientist.)

(8)"A man must not swallow more beliefs than he can digest" Havelock Ellis .

((9)"The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself" Michelle de Montaigne ............I take it De Montaigne is referring to able adults.

(10) Not sure about this one......... "Hell is other people" Sartre. If Sartre includes himself from the other's perspective, perhaps there is a lesson here.?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2011, 11:14 PM
RE: I Believe.....
I have no faith in the verb "to believe." I have faith in science - that is because personal experience painted me into a corner from which using the scientific method as a form of philosophy led me here. The things you say make all kinds of sense - I may be "unique" as an atheist talking about faith - but I engineered "to believe" outta my conceptual framework - and have been "victor victorious" ever since. Big Grin

Left to itself, science is gonna become a religion. It's halfway there, in my book; it has all the makings of temple and priesthood currently established - yet there ain't nothing but science. You're just gonna hafta keep the faith. (In meaning, I use it more like fides; with a dual meaning that "faith" is beyond exact translation like tao - fell free to translate last line as keep thy faith in thyself - you thy you. Tongue)

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-10-2011, 10:03 AM
(17-10-2011 11:14 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I have no faith in the verb "to believe." I have faith in science - that is because personal experience painted me into a corner from which using the scientific method as a form of philosophy led me here. The things you say make all kinds of sense - I may be "unique" as an atheist talking about faith - but I engineered "to believe" outta my conceptual framework - and have been "victor victorious" ever since. Big Grin

Left to itself, science is gonna become a religion. It's halfway there, in my book; it has all the makings of temple and priesthood currently established - yet there ain't nothing but science. You're just gonna hafta keep the faith. (In meaning, I use it more like fides; with a dual meaning that "faith" is beyond exact translation like tao - fell free to translate last line as keep thy faith in thyself - you thy you. Tongue)
The tyranny of words!
I don't like "believe" either; it can be a weaker way of trying to justify "know".
More genuine expressions may be "contemplate", "ponder" or even "think".
People look for "certainty" and see the above terms as wishy washy and suggestive of someone who does not know what they are talking about.

Logic helps to clarify communication but is very cumbersome. Even here there is the issue of the intrinsic truth in the premised being argued. Noam Chomsky has written a good deal about the problems inherent in linguistics and how language can be used very misleadingly.
18-10-2011, 12:16 PM
I believe that science will always challenge what I believe. And I believe that is how it should be. I know I will believe things until they are proven to be unworthy of belief and I believe that I am open to the possibilities of changing my beliefs should it be required for my own advancement as a human being. For example, years ago, I used to say "I don't believe in god". Now I can say "I know there is no god". Many people today will say "I don't believe in climate change" while at the same time complaining bitterly about the weather. The belief is not properly defined to make logical sense.

If we persisted in the belief that nothing travels faster than light, why would these folks not just toss their results into the trash instead of advising caution until other labs replicate the results?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/s...-neutrinos

Atheism is a non-prophet organisation. Cool
19-10-2011, 11:23 PM
(18-10-2011 12:16 PM)Saimmaq Wrote:  I believe that science will always challenge what I believe. And I believe that is how it should be. I know I will believe things until they are proven to be unworthy of belief and I believe that I am open to the possibilities of changing my beliefs should it be required for my own advancement as a human being. For example, years ago, I used to say "I don't believe in god". Now I can say "I know there is no god". Many people today will say "I don't believe in climate change" while at the same time complaining bitterly about the weather. The belief is not properly defined to make logical sense.

If we persisted in the belief that nothing travels faster than light, why would these folks not just toss their results into the trash instead of advising caution until other labs replicate the results?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/s...-neutrinos
Hi Saimmaq.
Science certainly is very powerful and good theories have a high probability of doing the job. This probability depends on the duration in time ahead of it and may be replaced by a new theory in its own time.

As you indicate there is a strong need for ethics.
In Melbourne there has been a prolonged drought, with things improving over the past couple of years. The government is spending billions on a desalinization system. While this may be neccessary, frugal use of water, rainwater tanks etc need to be encouraged. I believe there is some danger in science when it is geared to the extreme profit motive rather than the most fundamental needs of society.

As for god, there may be something akin to that concept somewhere in the Universe; if so, I would suggest we are along way off any worthwhile understanding.