I Can't Believe People Actually Believe This Crap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2014, 05:29 AM
RE: I Can't Believe People Actually Believe This Crap
The Amazing Athiest on YouTube did a video on this exact story, it was funny, you should search for it and watch it.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2014, 12:20 AM
I used to believe in god and be religious, and coming from that background I can understand why people believe in this garbage.

It has nothing to do with intelligence, it has to do with wishful thinking. I've gone to countless religious burials and I've seen people come up to the widow or someone who was closely related to the deceased and say something like, "They're in a better place now".

Sometimes, the things they say and believe are so absurd, I think to myself that no one in their right mind genuinely believes this crap. They need to keep telling themselves that a god exists and that those close to them that have passed away are in some place on a cloud watching them smiling happily.

Why do you think Christians go to church on Sunday? They need to keep telling themselves that their god exists, the belief they have is so bizarre that they become insecure and have to keep re-affirming to themselves that the invisible sky daddy exists despite all rationality. Do scientists gather around every once in a while, hold hands, spin around in a circle and exclaim; "Gravity is real, gravity exists!"? You'd think they'd be a bit insecure on the notion, wouldn't you?

What I'm trying to get across is this - Religious people, or anybody who believes in a god for that matter, don't believe because of evidence. That ''faith'' they're talking about is a synonym for wishful thinking. Having wishful belief in an afterlife, and deluding yourself into the conviction that there's a god usually comforts those who've deluded themselves beyond reason that they'll see their loved ones once again. More startling, is how people actually believe that without their religion, morality and accountability is futile.

After relinquishing my belief in a god, it was tough. It still is in some ways. Wouldn't anybody rather there be a heaven than ceasing to exist? Originally, I thought this, and that's when I accurately identified that the only reason I was clinging to my faith like a child too old to be holding a teddy bear and being forced to let go of it, was because I wished it to be true.

Let's look at an ultimatum of two very different perspectives.

A women is dying unbelievably happy with the conviction that she's going to heaven, (even if it really isn't true), and she dies happily.

On the other hand, an atheist who's cherished their life, and the rarity of it, has appreciated/enjoyed it more. He or she dies knowing the truth. They've previously thought about the inevitability of death as has everybody at one point or another, and that's made all the more reason for them (while they were far from imminent death) to understand how brief their existence is and will be and how it will come to an end one day. Anyone who realizes that which is the truth, will start genuinely appreciating life/existence for it's true value than to something that is supposedly infinite.
$100,000 for someone that has nothing means far more for them than it does for Donald Trump when he makes another $1,000,000.

In the end we all die, so do you want to die in a lie, or do you want to see reality for what it really is. I for one, would look at it hard in the face, and understand it the way it really is. With knowing the truth, I'm content, however morbid it may seem, for my very existence is something I am very lucky to experience.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 4 users Like Freethought's post
31-01-2014, 06:37 AM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2014 07:31 AM by IndianAtheist.)
(31-01-2014 12:20 AM)Freethought Wrote:  Having wishful belief in an afterlife, and deluding yourself into the conviction that there's a god usually comforts those who've deluded themselves beyond reason that they'll see their loved ones once again.
The perpetuated irony of the situation is that if they actually accept the reality for what it is then they can focus on what's here&now and try to make THAT better instead of pointlessly pondering over what's not here.
Quote:Wouldn't anybody rather there be a heaven than ceasing to exist?
Actually when did i officially start to exist ? Consider

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
31-01-2014, 09:44 AM
(29-01-2014 04:21 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  A friend of mine who comes from a big time religious family posted this story on Facebook that has been circulating called "God Is My Engine". All the comments by Christians on the article are saying stuff like "Proof that God performs miracles!" and "See! Anything is possible with God!" I find this story so utterly ridiculous that it simply boggles my mind that Christians believe this story to be true. I mean, really, how desperate are they to prove that they are right that they have to resort to making up these incredibly ridiculous stories and try to pass them off as truth? Here is the story:

A young man working in the army was constantly humiliated because he believed in...God. One day the captain wanted to humiliate him before the troops. He called the young man and said "Young man come here, take the key and go and park the Jeep in front."
The young man replied "I can not drive!"
The captain said "But then ask your God to assist you! Show us that he exists!"

The young man took the key and walked to the vehicle speaking in other tongues and praying ...He parks the jeep to the place PERFECTLY well as the captain wanted. The young man came out of the jeep and saw them all crying. They all said together "We
want to serve your God!" The young soldier was astonished, asked what was going on? THE CAPTAIN crying opened the hood of the jeep, showing the young man that the car had no engine.Then the boy said "See? This is the God I serve, THE GOD OF
POSSIBILITY, the God who gives life to what does not exist. He gives life to the dry bones. You may think there are things still impossible, BUT WITH GOD EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE!"

Like I said, it boggles my mind that people actually believe this garbage.

Book of Bullshit 5:21
"For God so wanted to prove his existence, he chose a single man on a speck in the universe with just a handful of witnesses and moved a jeep with no engine. He then said 'go unto the ends of the earth and spread my good news that with me everything is possible.'"

Book of Bullshit 5:22
"Then God added, 'and be sure to inform the children with cancer, people with disabilities, the poor and hungry, the oppressed, the victims of natural disasters, the abused, the mothers of stillborn babies, and.... just tell everyone how great I am.'"

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
31-01-2014, 09:57 AM
(29-01-2014 04:46 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  

Not nearly enough CAKE around here, kudos to you good sir.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
31-01-2014, 10:25 AM
(31-01-2014 09:44 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 04:21 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  A friend of mine who comes from a big time religious family posted this story on Facebook that has been circulating called "God Is My Engine". All the comments by Christians on the article are saying stuff like "Proof that God performs miracles!" and "See! Anything is possible with God!" I find this story so utterly ridiculous that it simply boggles my mind that Christians believe this story to be true. I mean, really, how desperate are they to prove that they are right that they have to resort to making up these incredibly ridiculous stories and try to pass them off as truth? Here is the story:

A young man working in the army was constantly humiliated because he believed in...God. One day the captain wanted to humiliate him before the troops. He called the young man and said "Young man come here, take the key and go and park the Jeep in front."

The young man took the key and walked to the vehicle speaking in other tongues and praying ...He parks the jeep to the place PERFECTLY well as the captain wanted. The young man came out of the jeep and saw them all crying. They all said together "We
want to serve your God!" The young soldier was astonished, asked what was going on? THE CAPTAIN crying opened the hood of the jeep, showing the young man that the car had no engine.Then the boy said "See? This is the God I serve, THE GOD OF
POSSIBILITY, the God who gives life to what does not exist. He gives life to the dry bones. You may think there are things still impossible, BUT WITH GOD EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE!"

Book of Bullshit 5:21
"For God so wanted to prove his existence, he chose a single man on a speck in the universe with just a handful of witnesses and moved a jeep with no engine. He then said 'go unto the ends of the earth and spread my good news that with me everything is possible.'"

Book of Bullshit 5:22
"Then God added, 'and be sure to inform the children with cancer, people with disabilities, the poor and hungry, the oppressed, the victims of natural disasters, the abused, the mothers of stillborn babies, and.... just tell everyone how great I am.'"

Book of Bullshit 5:22:a
And tell them I'm really busy with this Super Bowl thing and a bunch of other jeeps. I'll get to them whenever. So sayeth me.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
31-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Re: I Can't Believe People Actually Believe This Crap
[Image: u3e4epeb.jpg]

Using Tapatalk
[+] 3 users Like Phil Hill's post
31-01-2014, 12:05 PM

I suspect one day, someone will put all those "stories" together filtered through some sort of character who will appear god-like...Not anytime soon but a few hundred years from now.

This could be, in a different way, how the bible was originally written. Things that people wish were true and sounded cool at the time.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

31-01-2014, 12:38 PM
As I look back at all the things I believed were miracles, I realize now that I was very good at small embellishments and seeing things as god rather than more natural explanations.
I remember sharing a testimony of the miracle of sandals and how god cares about me even in matters as trivial as new sandals.
The way I would tell the story is... "Since I've decided to trust god in all matters big and small it amazes me at how lovingly he provides, just the other night I told my loving heavenly father that my sandals were getting old and I've really like a new pair, but that I would trust him to provide for me as he saw fit. The next day in the mail I received a package containing a pair of brown sandals that fit perfectly. god loves me so much he takes care of even my wants without my having to tell anyone else."
How it really happened.... "Two weeks earlier, my mom had been visiting and seen that my sandals were wearing out, a friend of hers had given her a few pairs of shoes that she no longer wanted. Included was a pair of sandals she thought would fit me and mailed them to me. This had been a really dark time financially, I had quit my job and mortgaged my home in order to run a Christian book store, I had been crying to god nightly for months about all the things that I was lacking, money to pay the water bill, purchase food, my children were struggling, etc."
So while the version I shared made an amazing story, that I told well enough to bring tears to the eyes of fellow believers, the truth was, my trust in god did not provide for me needs, my mom had seen my need and when she had an opportunity to meet that need, she did, as most of us moms like to do. So instead of thanking my mom and enjoying my shoes, I saw the event as god taking care of me in spite of the fact that we were losing our home and unable to afford food.
The saddest part is that I really believed the first telling of the story, it was only later as I started my journey away from Christianity when I realized that my god-glasses had altered the way I perceived the world around me.
I think maybe it's time I thanked my mom for sending me those sandals.
[+] 4 users Like GwenB3's post
31-01-2014, 12:47 PM
(31-01-2014 12:38 PM)GwenB3 Wrote:  As I look back at all the things I believed were miracles, I realize now that I was very good at small embellishments and seeing things as god rather than more natural explanations.
I remember sharing a testimony of the miracle of sandals and how god cares about me even in matters as trivial as new sandals.
The way I would tell the story is... "Since I've decided to trust god in all matters big and small it amazes me at how lovingly he provides, just the other night I told my loving heavenly father that my sandals were getting old and I've really like a new pair, but that I would trust him to provide for me as he saw fit. The next day in the mail I received a package containing a pair of brown sandals that fit perfectly. god loves me so much he takes care of even my wants without my having to tell anyone else."
How it really happened.... "Two weeks earlier, my mom had been visiting and seen that my sandals were wearing out, a friend of hers had given her a few pairs of shoes that she no longer wanted. Included was a pair of sandals she thought would fit me and mailed them to me. This had been a really dark time financially, I had quit my job and mortgaged my home in order to run a Christian book store, I had been crying to god nightly for months about all the things that I was lacking, money to pay the water bill, purchase food, my children were struggling, etc."
So while the version I shared made an amazing story, that I told well enough to bring tears to the eyes of fellow believers, the truth was, my trust in god did not provide for me needs, my mom had seen my need and when she had an opportunity to meet that need, she did, as most of us moms like to do. So instead of thanking my mom and enjoying my shoes, I saw the event as god taking care of me in spite of the fact that we were losing our home and unable to afford food.
The saddest part is that I really believed the first telling of the story, it was only later as I started my journey away from Christianity when I realized that my god-glasses had altered the way I perceived the world around me.
I think maybe it's time I thanked my mom for sending me those sandals.

Bravo, GwenB3! Welcome to the forum. Glad you're here. Many of us are ex-Christians and also look back at ourselves in amazement.

Regards,
Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post