I Couldn't Stand Not Doing Anything

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2013, 12:39 PM
I Couldn't Stand Not Doing Anything
A few years before discovering I was atheist, I remember sitting in church and being really aggravated at the repetitious, mundane ways of worship everyone shared each week and that it somehow was good enough for everyone. I thought we were supposed to help the poor, take care of other humans and really get out into the world to spread goodness so everyone could experience the love of god?

Instead, it felt like a loop, always singing songs, listening to lectures, being around the same group of people, same type of worship, week in and week out. It never felt right in the moral sense. I always felt weird about it as if we were underutilizing our collective power to do real good.

That's what church felt like the years leading up to my de-conversion. Really empty and a lot of pointless worshiping.

It's sad really that they can go sing songs once a week, hear someone lecture about the bible and that somehow it's all good enough to keep the world in order.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kpax's post
03-02-2013, 12:54 PM
RE: I Couldn't Stand Not Doing Anything
I agree. I think church is mostly for social outlet and validation, at least the way I see it. People need rituals and tradition, and this fills that need. I've seen many churches that do help others, but there are many who don't and many secular organizations who do. You can definitely help others without religion; churches do not have the monopoly on that.

Godless in the Magnolia State
03-02-2013, 03:13 PM
(03-02-2013 12:54 PM)cjs Wrote:  I agree. I think church is mostly for social outlet and validation, at least the way I see it. People need rituals and tradition, and this fills that need. I've seen many churches that do help others, but there are many who don't and many secular organizations who do. You can definitely help others without religion; churches do not have the monopoly on that.

What he said.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
03-02-2013, 03:30 PM
(03-02-2013 03:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(03-02-2013 12:54 PM)cjs Wrote:  I agree. I think church is mostly for social outlet and validation, at least the way I see it. People need rituals and tradition, and this fills that need. I've seen many churches that do help others, but there are many who don't and many secular organizations who do. You can definitely help others without religion; churches do not have the monopoly on that.

What he she said.
How dare you lay bare your presumptions! Censored

[Image: giphy.gif]
03-02-2013, 03:32 PM
That's what she said!
[+] 4 users Like kpax's post
03-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Kpax,
I get what you are saying. Raised Catholic in a small town that had a Basilica had the same thing all over it. The collection plates were passed at the many masses, the Church always needed money. But what it did with that money was keep a giant building going...and I do mean giant, and ornate, way over the top. The priests lived in a rectory attached to one end of the church that was like a mini-mansion. The little bit of the inside of it that I saw was simply amazing. The priests had nice cars, their own housekeeper and cook, belonged to the local golf courses and country clubs, and certainly their vow of poverty was nothing close to poverty. The nuns had a convent next door, and there were a bunch of them living there. They didn't have all the luxuries but they weren't suffering for their faith and service either. Did any of the clergy or money go to mission work or helping the poor...not that I ever heard anything about.

We would sit, stand, kneel, sit stand, kneel, and rattle off responses that were so automatic that after all these years I would probably still be able to correctly respond to the cues. To make it worse, I remember when the mass was in Latin. We were playing along in a language none of us knew. Just parroting the words. I don't recall anything being said that was really of any use in a practical way for the congregation. I do remember lots of pleas for more cash for this or that renovation project or to keep the Catholic schools afloat. All that played a huge part in my never really buying into the whole thing. The fact that a book was sent out every year noting how much each member gave to the church seemed to me to be something that should have been kept quiet. Don't think that everyone around didn't look for their own name and the names particularly of the wealthy. Even kids were listed with what they gave because we were all given donation envelopes with our names on them from middle school on.

It just didn't ring true for me.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
03-02-2013, 03:47 PM
I don't get it either. Don't think I ever really did.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
03-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Lets not forget the loop of the biblical lecturing; the way that the numbered paragraphs are used to manipulate the ears of those not reading it, to present the image of that everything somehow ties into the same story when, in fact...every number tells something different.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
03-02-2013, 07:01 PM
One pair of hands working does more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

Good saying to remember.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 3 users Like Phaedrus's post
04-02-2013, 07:45 AM
I felt the same, kpax. Towards the end of MY church going, when I had already checked out of the "faith", . . . I could see the self imposed acting people got into in order to fit in with what the others were doing. Did they act that way outside of church and the influence of the others? I would suspect 95% . . . not. But as a member of the worship team [the reason why I was still there and yet unbelieving, . . . as I still enjoyed playing the music and the people I had gotten to know], I had a bird’s eye view of the mundane masquerading as "a move of the spirit". The raised hands, closed eyes, typical look on the face, . . . the occasional outburst of meaningless babble and someone "pretending to know what the spirit is wanting people to know", . . . . . all the while, afterwards there was just . . . people. People hanging out with their click of friends, going out to eat, dating, having them over for parties, . . . making sure the less attractive or awkward people were pushed together so that they TOO could "enjoy the fellowship of the saints". . . . and if you really stopped to look at it, deep inside, . . . [as was my experience] you could realistically feel [and be] quite alone . . . amidst a sea of people heading out after a sermon. Oh, . . . as for the sermons, . . . if you were raised in the church, you had to listen to the SAME stories told slightly different . . . over and over and over . . . and over and over, . . .ad nauseam.