I Didn't Get the Memo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2015, 09:37 PM
I Didn't Get the Memo
This was a shock:

http://www.swifty.com/destinations/8417/...#slide/3/0

Saying "Thank you" is viewed with mistrust?!?!?!

When did that happen?

I've lived in CA 58 years, well clear of the Midwest and usually considered THE trendsetter for most social shifts, but the decline of "thanks" is something I've never noticed (albeit there are some acquaintances I view as ingrates but not because they never say thanks).

Is this real? Was there a notice on a TV show that "Thank You" is now officially terminated as a gesture of civility and I missed it because I gave away my one and only TV to a friend 25 years ago? He thanked me for it, as I recall.

Well, all I can say is Thanks for any enlightenment anyone might cast on this. Shocking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2015, 09:49 PM
RE: I Didn't Get the Memo
(17-07-2015 09:37 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  This was a shock:

http://www.swifty.com/destinations/8417/...#slide/3/0

Saying "Thank you" is viewed with mistrust?!?!?!

When did that happen?

I've lived in CA 58 years, well clear of the Midwest and usually considered THE trendsetter for most social shifts, but the decline of "thanks" is something I've never noticed (albeit there are some acquaintances I view as ingrates but not because they never say thanks).

Is this real? Was there a notice on a TV show that "Thank You" is now officially terminated as a gesture of civility and I missed it because I gave away my one and only TV to a friend 25 years ago? He thanked me for it, as I recall.

Well, all I can say is Thanks for any enlightenment anyone might cast on this. Shocking

I call bullshit on the whole list. It's crap.

I hope it was an attempt at humor.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-07-2015, 09:50 PM
I am 58...I grew up mostly in the midwest but also had a southern side to my family.

Here are words I use every day at work that I seldom hear from others - thank you, you're welcome, please, and excuse (or pardon) me.

And I open and/or hold doors open for people but seldom am afforded the same. And when did the rule change that you let people off the elevator before you pile in?

To me it's an example of an attitude of entitlement.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
17-07-2015, 09:53 PM
I grew up in the midwest, most of that list is not accurate.
17-07-2015, 10:01 PM
It's good old down home, middle america still has the values you all lost, nonsense.

Being in the midwest, I can surely say the silly word things exist, like the car game, but I also know people from Massachusetts who knew that stuff the same way. It's a stupid list that mostly meatball sports fan references anyway. And if a Fair is anything to the midwest, it's the annual see what else we can deep fry and call food event. Note the Iowa strawpoll media coverage to get a look at that one.

Though I do not know if Puppychow is known to other people outside the midwest. I saw it a lot as a kid at family meetup things but haven't a clue if that term is sill localized.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-07-2015, 10:05 PM
(17-07-2015 09:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Here are words I use every day at work that I seldom hear from others - thank you, ...

I go further and always add "Thank you very much." It's unusual enough they remember me.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-07-2015, 06:11 AM
I'm such a fucking dinosaur - when someone says "Thank You" - I reply "You're welcome" - rather than "No problem".....

Who wants to hear about fucking problems???

Not me -- I got enough of my own...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
18-07-2015, 06:22 AM
(17-07-2015 09:37 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Saying "Thank you" is viewed with mistrust?!?!?!

When did that happen?

That's something I never heard before. I learned something.
Thank you.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
18-07-2015, 10:30 AM
(18-07-2015 06:11 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ... I'm such a fucking dinosaur - when someone says "Thank You" - I reply "You're welcome" - rather than "No problem" ...

You've got company decrying that shift in the manners patois. Several years ago I saw an essay that pointed out that it had changed that common courtesy into an insult: instead of keeping the focus on the beneficiary (I thank you - You're welcome) it yanks the focus onto a put-upon benefactor (I thank you - No problem - e.g. You're damn lucky doing you this favor didn't cause me any inconvenience). So I'm with you Biker, I always say "you're welcome", or often "you're more than welcome".

You're gonna have to trust me that I appreciate your observation enough to thank you for it. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post