I Don't Have Atheist Friends! [A Rant]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2013, 06:25 PM
I Don't Have Atheist Friends! [A Rant]
On Facebook, it is so common and literally an everyday occurrence that people post "Jesus Stuff." I scroll right by. Some days, there's so much that my head will explode. I hate the double standard that people can post all the religious stuff they want but if someone posts about atheism, everybody is up in arms. They get their feelings hurt and it's disrespectful. I don't even post publicly about my feelings because I don't like to stir up drama. My "religious beliefs" section is left blank. I feel like declaring yourself an atheist sounds to religious people that you're affiliated with Nazis or some evil voodoo stuff.

I hope to make some friends because it's getting pretty lonely. I wanna see funny and some real thought provoking stuff on my Facebook feed, too!

That is all.
Wait. That's not all. Also, I am not pathetically needy as this post may seem. If it came across that way, so be it. I will not apologize = )

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
08-02-2013, 06:29 PM
RE: I Don't Have Atheist Friends! [A Rant]
I wouldn't want any friends who consider themselves atheists, they're just as bad as the theists.
08-02-2013, 06:33 PM
(08-02-2013 06:29 PM)Nappa Wrote:  I wouldn't want any friends who consider themselves atheists, they're just as bad as the theists.
I just hate everything being so one-sided.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
08-02-2013, 06:38 PM
(08-02-2013 06:33 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 06:29 PM)Nappa Wrote:  I wouldn't want any friends who consider themselves atheists, they're just as bad as the theists.
I just hate everything being so one-sided.
And I miss Socrates, probably one of the few fuckers in this world that I could have an intelligent conversation with.
08-02-2013, 07:55 PM

LOL wut?

An atheist doesn't believe that god(s) exist.
A theist does believe that god(s) exist.

To be an agnostic is to believe that nothing can be known for sure.

So someone who believes there is no god, can also feel there is no certainty. (atheist AND agnostic)
Same goes for someone who believes there is/are god(s). They can believe there to be one, and still realize that they cannot know for sure. (theist AND agnostic)

I don't believe in god, but I realize that the very premise of being super-natural is to be beyond the natural and measurable world. So while I'm an atheist, I am also agnostic on the subject of god. It still seems unnecessary and silly though.
08-02-2013, 07:57 PM
I have a lot of friends like this who I want to stay in touch with via FB but I don't want their verbal diarrhea, so I came up with a solution- I unsubscribe from them and only go to their page when I want a recap of what's going on in their life to catch up and I also 'like' the pages of science (science is fucking awesome is a good one), Dawkins and other interests that way my news feed has more pleasure in the mix Big Grin I used to resent FB before this, now I'm a happy clam. Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like LadyJane's post
08-02-2013, 08:03 PM
I don't have a lot of friends who are Atheists. Except the ones I've made on this forum.

The funny thing is....I feel like I can be more honest with the few people I skype from this site or just banter with on the forums proper, than I do with most of my fb friends. I can just be myself more.

Pondering this makes me almost sad. Drinking Beverage

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
08-02-2013, 08:13 PM
(08-02-2013 08:03 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I don't have a lot of friends who are Atheists. Except the ones I've made on this forum.

The funny thing is....I feel like I can be more honest with the few people I skype from this site or just banter with on the forums proper, than I do with most of my fb friends. I can just be myself more.

Pondering this makes me almost sad. Drinking Beverage
I can understand this. With 'stranger' friends, there are no expectations from either party. Acceptance is easier because of this. I probably feel this way too, when it comes to this place, for the most part.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
08-02-2013, 08:15 PM
I feel kinda the same as LadyJane and Hobbitgirl.

I'm careful about what I post -- I take my friends seriously and would hate to alienate them. But dunno...I'm not returning to fb for a while. Once valentines day is over -- honestly I'm done.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

08-02-2013, 08:15 PM
(08-02-2013 06:25 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  On Facebook, it is so common and literally an everyday occurrence that people post "Jesus Stuff." I scroll right by. Some days, there's so much that my head will explode. I hate the double standard that people can post all the religious stuff they want but if someone posts about atheism, everybody is up in arms. They get their feelings hurt and it's disrespectful. I don't even post publicly about my feelings because I don't like to stir up drama. My "religious beliefs" section is left blank. I feel like declaring yourself an atheist sounds to religious people that you're affiliated with Nazis or some evil voodoo stuff.

I hope to make some friends because it's getting pretty lonely.

I can sympathize. We are all surrounded by the constant din of the religious machinery. I think you'll mostly find here kindred-spirits so pull up a chair.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post