I Don't Have Atheist Friends! [A Rant]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2013, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 08:21 PM by Nappa.)
RE: I Don't Have Atheist Friends! [A Rant]
(08-02-2013 07:55 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 06:29 PM)Nappa Wrote:  I wouldn't want any friends who consider themselves atheists, they're just as bad as the theists.

LOL wut?

An atheist doesn't believe that god(s) exist.
A theist does believe that god(s) exist.

To be an agnostic is to believe that nothing can be known for sure.

So someone who believes there is no god, can also feel there is no certainty. (atheist AND agnostic)
Same goes for someone who believes there is/are god(s). They can believe there to be one, and still realize that they cannot know for sure. (theist AND agnostic)

I don't believe in god, but I realize that the very premise of being super-natural is to be beyond the natural and measurable world. So while I'm an atheist, I am also agnostic on the subject of god. It still seems unnecessary and silly though.
I don't believe in a god, and I am not an agnostic, nor will I consider myself an atheist, as not believing in a god really doesn't warrant a certain label to be attached on it. The very notion of a god should be limited to the dictionary and historical purposes of our societies.

No I don't like atheists, and the reason why is because atheists are to religious for my tastes. They claim they aren't, but their actions when posed with controversial topics tell a different story.

I suppose I should say I don't give people who consider themselves atheists special consideration anymore, there are some intelligent 'atheists' but there are also some very stupid atheists.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 08:25 PM
(08-02-2013 08:16 PM)Nappa Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 07:55 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  LOL wut?

An atheist doesn't believe that god(s) exist.
A theist does believe that god(s) exist.

To be an agnostic is to believe that nothing can be known for sure.

So someone who believes there is no god, can also feel there is no certainty. (atheist AND agnostic)
Same goes for someone who believes there is/are god(s). They can believe there to be one, and still realize that they cannot know for sure. (theist AND agnostic)

I don't believe in god, but I realize that the very premise of being super-natural is to be beyond the natural and measurable world. So while I'm an atheist, I am also agnostic on the subject of god. It still seems unnecessary and silly though.
I don't believe in a god, and I am not an agnostic, nor will I consider myself an atheist, as not believing in a god really doesn't warrant a certain label to be attached on it. The very notion of a god should be limited to the dictionary and historical purposes of our societies.

No I don't like atheists, and the reason why is because atheists are to religious for my tastes. They claim they aren't, but their actions when posed with controversial topics tell a different story.

I suppose I should say I don't give people who consider themselves atheists special consideration anymore, there are some intelligent 'atheists' but there are also some very stupid atheists.
You may not label yourself as such, but if you don't believe in gods, you are by definition an atheist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-02-2013, 08:29 PM
(08-02-2013 08:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 08:16 PM)Nappa Wrote:  I don't believe in a god, and I am not an agnostic, nor will I consider myself an atheist, as not believing in a god really doesn't warrant a certain label to be attached on it. The very notion of a god should be limited to the dictionary and historical purposes of our societies.

You may not label yourself as such, but if you don't believe in gods, you are by definition an atheist.
Not believing in a god doesn't deserve a definition Chas. By attaching a label on ourselves we put unnecessary baggage on us, the only divisions on this planet are the ones we make in our heads.
08-02-2013, 08:30 PM
You seem to be putting up a lot of barriers Nappa.

Just because the atheists on here dont agree with you in regards to your favourite subject... doesnt mean you should label them all the same.

That is a bit ignorant in my eyes.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
08-02-2013, 08:33 PM
(08-02-2013 08:29 PM)Nappa Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 08:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  You may not label yourself as such, but if you don't believe in gods, you are by definition an atheist.
Not believing in a god doesn't deserve a definition Chas. By attaching a label on ourselves we put unnecessary baggage on us, the only divisions on this planet are the ones we make in our heads.

It has a definition. You can choose to label yourself or not.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2013, 08:36 PM
(08-02-2013 08:03 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I don't have a lot of friends who are Atheists. Except the ones I've made on this forum.
It's funny because I'm a pretty private person. On this forum, I feel as
though I can say what I want and nobody is going to make me feel like I
said something offensive just because I wanted to say something that
the majority isn't used to.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
08-02-2013, 08:37 PM
(08-02-2013 08:16 PM)Nappa Wrote:  I don't believe in a god, and I am not an agnostic, nor will I consider myself an atheist, as not believing in a god really doesn't warrant a certain label to be attached on it. The very notion of a god should be limited to the dictionary and historical purposes of our societies.

You don't believe in a god and you don't like atheists....sounds like self-loathing to me.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
08-02-2013, 08:41 PM
I saw that video on this site about "social suicide" in regards to telling people that you're an atheist. It hit home in many ways.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
08-02-2013, 08:44 PM
(08-02-2013 08:30 PM)bemore Wrote:  You seem to be putting up a lot of barriers Nappa.

Just because the atheists on here dont agree with you in regards to your favourite subject... doesnt mean you should label them all the same.

That is a bit ignorant in my eyes.
It's not if they don't agree with me, I don't care about if they agree with me or not. I do care about the way they respond to such information, what I've experienced is usually no different than how a catholic would defend the bible.

I've already stated that a few people on here responded well although they may not agree with me. At least they didn't stoop to the low levels of trolling, lobbing insults, or puff up like a pufferfish.
08-02-2013, 09:00 PM
(08-02-2013 08:41 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  I saw that video on this site about "social suicide" in regards to telling people that you're an atheist. It hit home in many ways.

Have you been ostracized or shunned by family or friends?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce