I Don't Have Atheist Friends! [A Rant]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2013, 09:08 PM
RE: I Don't Have Atheist Friends! [A Rant]
I've always been open about being an atheist. All my friends know I am. But I suffer from a bit of "feeling bad" about pointing out how stupid their posts about jesus winning football games and etc are.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
08-02-2013, 09:16 PM
(08-02-2013 09:00 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 08:41 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  I saw that video on this site about "social suicide" in regards to telling people that you're an atheist. It hit home in many ways.

Have you been ostracized or shunned by family or friends?
Let me rephrase what I meant that it "hit home." I should have said that I fear that happening to me. What those people were saying about their own family turning the other direction just because they didn't believe in their faith freaks me out. I fear the people I talk to on regular basis viewing me as someone without morals or that I don't have healthy values.

I always avoided talking about it with most ANYONE because I'm scared of their opinions of me. It also doesn't help that I have a child who is now at that age where he is asking questions. People I know had asked me when he was a baby when he was gonna be baptised and when I said I wasn't going to, their shoulders slumped slightly and said, "Oh." I am not doing my child a disservice because I'm not forcing him into a religion. That is why I went to seek an outlet such as this.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
08-02-2013, 09:34 PM
(08-02-2013 09:16 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 09:00 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Have you been ostracized or shunned by family or friends?
Let me rephrase what I meant that it "hit home." I should have said that I fear that happening to me. What those people were saying about their own family turning the other direction just because they didn't believe in their faith freaks me out. I fear the people I talk to on regular basis viewing me as someone without morals or that I don't have healthy values.

I always avoided talking about it with most ANYONE because I'm scared of their opinions of me. It also doesn't help that I have a child who is now at that age where he is asking questions. People I know had asked me when he was a baby when he was gonna be baptised and when I said I wasn't going to, their shoulders slumped slightly and said, "Oh." I am not doing my child a disservice because I'm not forcing him into a religion. That is why I went to seek an outlet such as this.
Just trying to get a clearer picture of where you are coming from. The fact that you haven't babtized you child is a very strong statement, if your family hasn't turned their backs because of this I'd say they are more accepting than you think.

Since I've been more at ease and open about my atheism I've had the pleasant, if infrequent, surprise of others "coming out" to me.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
08-02-2013, 09:39 PM
(08-02-2013 09:34 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Just trying to get a clearer picture of where you are coming from. The fact that you haven't babtized you child is a very strong statement, if your family hasn't turned their backs because of this I'd say they are more accepting than you think.
That's the thing. I'm not worried about my family so much as my friends/acquaintances. My family loosely referenced God growing up and we never went to church. (That's, in part, why I've come to the conclusion that I don't believe.)

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King