I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2014, 01:14 PM
RE: I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
(01-06-2014 01:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 01:06 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  1. it cant be special pleading because atheists say the same thing of the universe i.e. that it is uncaused and has always existed in one form or another.

2. the reason that God is uncaused is because He is uncaused by definition. is that not simple enough for you?

No they don't. As far as I can tell, the general consensus is that at this point we don't have enough information, and you have been told this time and again. Are you suffering from a mental disorder such as dementia ? I have no poll of atheists. Do you ?

The definition of The Eternal Sparkly Unicorn is that She is uncaused. Do definitions now cause Reality ?

so you do not think the universe is uncaused or eternal?

Great. you affirm the universe has a cause and is temporally finite.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2014, 01:14 PM
(01-06-2014 01:07 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 12:49 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Do you know who Daniel Dennett is?

How is that an answer?

Because he thinks everyone is as ignorant as he is? IDK, he probably just found out who Dennett is and thought he was the first to know about him. Facepalm

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
01-06-2014, 01:15 PM
(01-06-2014 01:12 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  there are two types of things:

those that exist necessarily i.e. necessarily existing things

those that exist contingently i.e. caused things

No there aren't.

There are just temporally persistent patterns of energy and matter.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
01-06-2014, 01:17 PM
(01-06-2014 01:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 01:06 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  1. it cant be special pleading because atheists say the same thing of the universe i.e. that it is uncaused and has always existed in one form or another.

2. the reason that God is uncaused is because He is uncaused by definition. is that not simple enough for you?

No they don't. As far as I can tell, the general consensus is that at this point we don't have enough information, and you have been told this time and again. Are you suffering from a mental disorder such as dementia ? I have no poll of atheists. Do you ?

The definition of The Eternal Sparkly Unicorn is that She is uncaused. Do definitions now cause Reality ?

if you have any arguments for the existence of the aforementioned creature then present them. if not, i dismiss it as a red-herring parody
01-06-2014, 01:18 PM
(01-06-2014 01:01 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 12:50 PM)Charis Wrote:  Do you like jelly-filled donuts?

Man, great idea Thumbsup I gotta go get me some in the morning. Drooling

God I miss donuts. I liked the cream filled ones. Fuckin' diabeetus.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-06-2014, 01:18 PM
(01-06-2014 01:15 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 01:12 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  there are two types of things:

No there aren't.

There are just temporally persistent patterns of energy and matter.

Gasp

how do you know this?
01-06-2014, 01:19 PM
(01-06-2014 01:14 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 01:07 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  How is that an answer?

Because he thinks everyone is as ignorant as he is? IDK, he probably just found out who Dennett is and thought he was the first to know about him. Facepalm

Dennett never claims the kalam is circular nor does any other non-theistic philosopher who attempts to object to it.

that was my point.
01-06-2014, 01:19 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 01:23 PM by rampant.a.i..)
I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
(01-06-2014 01:12 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 01:08 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Only as a counter to show the flaw in the logic of ontological arguments.

I can see why you would think that, though, as you were apparently asleep during the explanation of Big Bang theory in school, and during the fallacies section of introductory logic.

there are two types of things:

theologians and mathematicians deal with things that fall into the first i.e God and abstract objects like numbers.

Is this how you're avoiding my earlier questions, and a debate with Mathilda, by telling us about your metaphysical belief system?

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
01-06-2014, 01:20 PM
(01-06-2014 01:17 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 01:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No they don't. As far as I can tell, the general consensus is that at this point we don't have enough information, and you have been told this time and again. Are you suffering from a mental disorder such as dementia ? I have no poll of atheists. Do you ?

if you have any arguments for the existence of the aforementioned creature then present them. if not, i dismiss it as a red-herring parody
OH MY FUCKING GOD, WOULD YOU LISTEN TO THIS GUY!!!! You're a parody of yourself, Jeremy, holy shit.

I think I just short-circuited.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 5 users Like Charis's post
01-06-2014, 01:20 PM
(01-06-2014 01:17 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 01:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No they don't. As far as I can tell, the general consensus is that at this point we don't have enough information, and you have been told this time and again. Are you suffering from a mental disorder such as dementia ? I have no poll of atheists. Do you ?

Pffft , yeah like your god...... Idiot ! walked right into that one, didnt ya. Wink

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 4 users Like War Horse's post