I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2014, 05:11 PM
RE: I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
(01-06-2014 05:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 04:31 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  i have some evidence for the existence of God. I can PM you it if you like and let you take a look at it.

I'll take that to mean you can't answer the questions.

the universe has a cause. The cause is more plausibly God.

Deal with that and come up with something besides "Uhhh, I don't know Sadcryface"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2014, 05:11 PM
(01-06-2014 05:10 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 05:05 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  i have a living loving relationship with God that is how I know He exists.

This evidence i speak of is that the cause of the universe is more plausibly God.

Faith IS the delusion, belief without evidence. Faith is pretending to know things that you dont know. To say "I have faith in god" really means "I pretend to know things I don't know about god"....to say "I have a living loving relationship with god" really means, "I have a delusional belief in the imaginary, for which I hope it is true, but know there is zero evidence to support it, but I will have faith in my delusion anyway"...THINK about it, you dont know, you HOPE.

provide proof that the cause of the universe is god.....just because we don't know the answer, doesn't mean we have to make shit up to fill in the gaps. I posit the maker of the universe is the mighty purple unicorn who resides inside the hollow planet Venus, sitting beside the FSM.

Creationist base their belief on faith, which is something that lacks evidence. atheist base their non belief on evidence, which is something that doesn't require faith.

my faith is based on the evidence. sorry you strawmanned and failed.
01-06-2014, 05:13 PM
(01-06-2014 05:11 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 05:07 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  it is not flawed Doctor. you saying it is so does not make it so.

If the Kalam Cosmological argument is not flawed then how come you've never managed to argue against any multitude of ways in which it can be refuted?

i have numerous times. i have the posts to prove this. I will not be retyping all that I have already typed. simply reference my posts and reference the published peer reviewed work of its proponents in the academy.
01-06-2014, 05:14 PM
(01-06-2014 05:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 05:07 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Don't you and your imaginary friend have something better to do? It's okay if you go blather at other people. We won't mind, really. You are free to go.

I'll show you the door...

if you are offended then ignore me or do not read my posts.

Make me - I was here first. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-06-2014, 05:15 PM
(01-06-2014 05:02 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 04:56 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Define religious faith then.

“faith” may be taken to mean the act of believing. According to the Protestant Reformer Martin Luther, faith in this sense has three components. First, there is notitia, or understanding. That is, one must understand the truth claim being made. Second, there is assensus, or assent. One must accept intellectually that the claim is, in fact, true. One not only understands it; he assents to it or agrees with it. Finally, there is fiducia, or trust. Saving faith involves not merely intellectual assent to some doctrines but a whole-hearted commitment or trust in God, about whom the claims are made. To say that Christian faith is reasonable in this sense is to say that believing in the God of the Bible is a rational thing for a person to do. To take the step of faith is a reasonable step for an intelligent and informed person.

Contrary to all the angry and vociferous proponents of the so-called “New Atheism,” I’m convinced that Christian faith, so understood, is eminently reasonable.

For any faith to be reasonable it will have to be logically consistent and fit the facts of experience, whether these be scientific, historical, or whatever. Such systematic consistency, as it has been called, is only a necessary condition for the truth of a worldview, but it may be a sufficient condition as well for its reasonableness. For determining its truth one will need in addition either sound, non-question-begging arguments based on premises more plausible than their negations or else a way of knowing its truth in a properly basic way. I have argued that Christianity, in contrast to other faiths I’m familiar with, has both.

So who decides which faith is or isn’t reasonable? Well, obviously, you do! Each of us does. As Pascal said, the game is already in play; you must lay a bet. How will you choose?

Now in saying that you must decide, I in no way imply that the truth is determined by your choice. If you’re lost hiking in the mountains and must choose which prong of a fork in the trail to take, that wouldn’t imply that your choice determines which path will lead you to safety. On the contrary, which is the true path is already determined by the facts. But it is up to us to weigh the facts and so to make this momentous choice, often in deep anxiety and uncertainty.

But as Christians we know that no one is truly alone in making the choice to believe in the Gospel. For God has sent the Holy Spirit to convict the world and to draw people to Himself. Jesus has promised that “If any man’s will is to do God’s will, he will know whether my teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority" (John 7. 17). Ultimately, it will be God Himself who will judge whether a person in his historical circumstances made a rational decision.

Read more: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/what-is-r...z33QoHWTDU

WLC Copypasta?

Really?

You chickened out of a debate with Mathilda to spam the board with this crap?

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
01-06-2014, 05:16 PM
(01-06-2014 05:15 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 05:02 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Read more: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/what-is-r...z33QoHWTDU

WLC Copypasta?

Really?

Duh-huh... Yes

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
(01-06-2014 05:11 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  the universe has a cause. The cause is more plausibly God.

Deal with that and come up with something besides "Uhhh, I don't know Sadcryface"

Citation required for the universe having a cause.

There is no god (Want to debate this statement in a boxing match?)
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
(01-06-2014 05:13 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 05:11 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  If the Kalam Cosmological argument is not flawed then how come you've never managed to argue against any multitude of ways in which it can be refuted?

i have numerous times. i have the posts to prove this. I will not be retyping all that I have already typed. simply reference my posts and reference the published peer reviewed work of its proponents in the academy.

You lost three debates on the KCA, two of which where you could not support the first premise, and then went to a Christian forum and lost another.

Stop lying.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
Dancing jello, guys. Dancing jello.

And gongs, apparently. Laughat

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
01-06-2014, 05:17 PM
(01-06-2014 05:15 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 05:02 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  “faith” may be taken to mean the act of believing. According to the Protestant Reformer Martin Luther, faith in this sense has three components. First, there is notitia, or understanding. That is, one must understand the truth claim being made. Second, there is assensus, or assent. One must accept intellectually that the claim is, in fact, true. One not only understands it; he assents to it or agrees with it. Finally, there is fiducia, or trust. Saving faith involves not merely intellectual assent to some doctrines but a whole-hearted commitment or trust in God, about whom the claims are made. To say that Christian faith is reasonable in this sense is to say that believing in the God of the Bible is a rational thing for a person to do. To take the step of faith is a reasonable step for an intelligent and informed person.

Contrary to all the angry and vociferous proponents of the so-called “New Atheism,” I’m convinced that Christian faith, so understood, is eminently reasonable.

For any faith to be reasonable it will have to be logically consistent and fit the facts of experience, whether these be scientific, historical, or whatever. Such systematic consistency, as it has been called, is only a necessary condition for the truth of a worldview, but it may be a sufficient condition as well for its reasonableness. For determining its truth one will need in addition either sound, non-question-begging arguments based on premises more plausible than their negations or else a way of knowing its truth in a properly basic way. I have argued that Christianity, in contrast to other faiths I’m familiar with, has both.

So who decides which faith is or isn’t reasonable? Well, obviously, you do! Each of us does. As Pascal said, the game is already in play; you must lay a bet. How will you choose?

Now in saying that you must decide, I in no way imply that the truth is determined by your choice. If you’re lost hiking in the mountains and must choose which prong of a fork in the trail to take, that wouldn’t imply that your choice determines which path will lead you to safety. On the contrary, which is the true path is already determined by the facts. But it is up to us to weigh the facts and so to make this momentous choice, often in deep anxiety and uncertainty.

But as Christians we know that no one is truly alone in making the choice to believe in the Gospel. For God has sent the Holy Spirit to convict the world and to draw people to Himself. Jesus has promised that “If any man’s will is to do God’s will, he will know whether my teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority" (John 7. 17). Ultimately, it will be God Himself who will judge whether a person in his historical circumstances made a rational decision.

Read more: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/what-is-r...z33QoHWTDU

WLC Copypasta?

Really?

I cannot prove with absolute certainty that God exists. I do not feel the need to try to, to you or anyone else.