I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2014, 07:21 PM
RE: I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
(01-06-2014 06:55 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 07:30 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  You keep telling me about this evidence, and I keep saying what evidence?, and you keep saying the evidence!

What evidence?

Colonel Mustard killed it with the candlestick! Undecided

Tongue

I love you Guley Heart

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
01-06-2014, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 07:37 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(01-06-2014 06:03 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 05:59 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  You literally defended rape and slavery in the bible as being moral. Neither one is.

The entire forum has better morality than you do, AntiChrist.

none of those things are moral to you. some here may agree.

so what? cabbage is nasty.

if morality is relative then when a person says rape is cool then its cool. there is no law to appeal to to say that rape is objectively wrong if moral relativism is true so cabbage is nasty.

Do you think it was moral when you disappeared last week, in your, temporary (unfortunately) parting post to imply that anyone who didn't accept your Jebus and your moral system thought child molestation was ok ? We DO understand the juvenile black and white ways your limited capacity brain has to function with, but wasn't that just a bit over the top, Church Lady ?

Which does raise a question. So we all know Fundies, (such as Jeremy) are really the minority, as religious people go, even though they tend to be the most vocal, and the ones who come here and preach at us. Do liberal Episcopalians or liberal Catholics come here and do the Kalam schtick ? No. In the Carroll - Craig debate, at about 1:26 - 1:28, he states his views on religion in general, and they are not really "anti-religion". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0qKZqPy9T8
So I was wondering, what non-believers here think about what he says, there. Perhaps it's time we move on to more mature discussions about where atheism/agnosticism is going, and who we/they should be having discussions with, and just ignore the childish nonsense of the Jeremy Walkers ? We all know the mainline university departments of Biblical Studies, and Theology are not Fundamentalists by any stretch. Maybe we waste too much time on a small ignorant minority ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
01-06-2014, 07:33 PM
(01-06-2014 07:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 06:03 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  none of those things are moral to you. some here may agree.

if morality is relative then when a person says rape is cool then its cool. there is no law to appeal to to say that rape is objectively wrong if moral relativism is true so cabbage is nasty.

Do you think it was moral when you disappeared last week, in your, temporary (unfortunately) parting post to imply that anyone who didn't accept your Jebus and your moral system thought child molestation was ok ? We DO understand the juvenile black and white ways your limited capacity brain has to function with, but wasn't that just a bit over the top, Church Lady ?

Which does raise a question. So we all know Fundies, (such as Jeremy) are really the minority, as religious people go, even though they tend to be the most vocal, and the ones who come here and preach at us. Do liberal Episcopalians or liberal Catholics come here and do the Kalam schtick ? No. In the Carroll - Craig debate, at about 1:26 - 1:28, he states his views on religion in general, and they are not really "anti-religion". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0qKZqPy9T8
So I was wondering, what non-believers here think about what he says, there. Perhaps it's time we move on to more mature discussions about where atheism/agnosticism is going, and who we/they should be having discussions with, and just ignore the childish nonsense of the Jeremy Walkers ? We all know the mainline universities departments of Biblical Studies, and Theology are not Fundamentalists by any stretch. Maybe we waste too much time on a small ignorant minority ?

Only problem is it is not the Academics that are out changing laws and lobbying government officials. So while they are a minority they are by far the more important of two. Jeremy here is one imagined conversation from blowing up a women's health clinic. Have to have real world priorities.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 7 users Like Revenant77x's post
01-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Bucky, I share your sentiments. Unfortunately, I think Rev is right. :/

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
01-06-2014, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 08:27 PM by TheGulegon.)
(01-06-2014 05:16 PM)Charis Wrote:  Dancing jello, guys. Dancing jello.

And gongs, apparently. Laughat

Shy
[Image: happy-jello.gif]

[edit] This took a while, dayum! 44 pages of fun, though Laugh out load

[+] 4 users Like TheGulegon's post
01-06-2014, 08:35 PM
(01-06-2014 08:20 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 05:16 PM)Charis Wrote:  Dancing jello, guys. Dancing jello.

And gongs, apparently. Laughat

Shy

OMFG, that is awesome. LOL!

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
01-06-2014, 08:41 PM
(01-06-2014 08:35 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 08:20 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Shy

OMFG, that is awesome. LOL!

I tried finding dancing jello-SHOTS, but they don't got none :'(
Tongue

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
01-06-2014, 09:10 PM
I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
(01-06-2014 07:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 06:03 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  none of those things are moral to you. some here may agree.

That's weird. What with all the [Image: qerysu8a.jpg]

And the [Image: ebehy7eh.jpg]

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
01-06-2014, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 10:39 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(31-05-2014 11:51 AM)catgoblin Wrote:  I'm new here, so I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but has anyone read this book?
[Image: 41iOxFVRGtL.jpg]

http://www.amazon.com/Enough-Faith-Athei...4H2JQ2QN36

My dad (a minister) sent this to me and I promised to read it Drinking Beverage

I'm about 1/3 of the way through and am pretty mystified--not sure what to think (not that I'm close to being reconverted to Christianity)

I wasn't familiar with the Cosmological or Kalam Cosmological Argument before I read this book. From my perspective, it seems pretty easy to dismiss this defending the God of the Bible, but what about a deistic God? The best thing I've thought of (so far) is that the assumption that the universe needing a sentient creator is unnecessarily complex, but from a teleological perspective, I don't see that going over very well.

I'm anticipating a pretty lengthy debate with my dad when I finish this, so I'd like to gather all the ammunition I can before then Wink

I'm not wading through 44 pages of Walker's bullshit to see if someone else posted this already, so much props if someone else beat me to it.

Fortunately we have Steve Shives, an atheist who has actually read that book, and has done a chapter by chapter breakdown of it; and he'll help explain why it's unfounded bullshit. He is the YouTube channel we need, not the one we deserve.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 8 users Like EvolutionKills's post
01-06-2014, 11:06 PM
(01-06-2014 10:06 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 11:51 AM)catgoblin Wrote:  I'm new here, so I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but has anyone read this book?
[Image: 41iOxFVRGtL.jpg]

http://www.amazon.com/Enough-Faith-Athei...4H2JQ2QN36

My dad (a minister) sent this to me and I promised to read it Drinking Beverage

I'm about 1/3 of the way through and am pretty mystified--not sure what to think (not that I'm close to being reconverted to Christianity)

I wasn't familiar with the Cosmological or Kalam Cosmological Argument before I read this book. From my perspective, it seems pretty easy to dismiss this defending the God of the Bible, but what about a deistic God? The best thing I've thought of (so far) is that the assumption that the universe needing a sentient creator is unnecessarily complex, but from a teleological perspective, I don't see that going over very well.

I'm anticipating a pretty lengthy debate with my dad when I finish this, so I'd like to gather all the ammunition I can before then Wink

I'm not wading through 44 pages of Walker's bullshit to see if someone else posted this already, so much props if someone else beat me to it.

Fortunately we have Steve Shives, an atheist who has actually read that book, and has done a chapter by chapter breakdown of it; and he'll help explain why it's unfounded bullshit. He is the YouTube channel we need, not the one we deserve.

Great series. In my opinion, he treated the book more than fair. At times I think he might have even pulled some punches.