I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2014, 12:56 PM
RE: I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
Quote:you act like i am speaking a foreign language. that I am saying something so bizarre as to be unbelievable and unintelligible.

I've taken three semesters of college physics, and from what I understand of it you are speaking nonsense. You refuse to answer why there needs to be a "before" the universe. Before the event known as the Big Bang time did not exist. So what do you mean by before? Time is not universal, it doesn't move the same everywhere. And with the singularity at the start of our universe the concept of time loses meaning. So, again, why do you need a before?

Quote:Moses somehow knew what we are just recently coming to know i.e. that there was an absolute beginning of the universe.

Problem, there was no Moses. Most honest biblical scholars admit this.

And we are speaking of people who did not know about cells, atoms, or the makeup of stars. I would not listen to their opinions on how to best construct a steel bridge, why should I credit their theories on the origin of the universe?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2014, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2014 01:03 PM by LostLocke.)
(02-06-2014 12:21 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  you dont have to be a physicist to understand that from nothing, nothing comes.
You also don't have to be a physicist to know that that is not an absolute statement, and in fact even within our universe, let alone outside it, we are beginning to see that this may not be completely true after all.

And besides all that, no one says the universe came from nothing.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
02-06-2014, 01:05 PM
(02-06-2014 12:21 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  you dont have to be a physicist to understand that from nothing, nothing comes.

You don't even know what nothing is.

You may want to read this book.

Nothing: A Very Short Introduction

I highly recommend it.
02-06-2014, 01:48 PM

you act like i am speaking a foreign language. that I am saying something so bizarre as to be unbelievable and unintelligible.

Jesus Christ, Jeremy. Where does your god come from? Nothing? If God can violate your sacred law of "nothing comes from nothing", how do you know the universe can't violate it?

You're still jumping to stupid conclusions because you want to.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
02-06-2014, 01:50 PM
(02-06-2014 12:56 PM)natachan Wrote:  
Quote:you act like i am speaking a foreign language. that I am saying something so bizarre as to be unbelievable and unintelligible.

I've taken three semesters of college physics, and from what I understand of it you are speaking nonsense. You refuse to answer why there needs to be a "before" the universe. Before the event known as the Big Bang time did not exist. So what do you mean by before? Time is not universal, it doesn't move the same everywhere. And with the singularity at the start of our universe the concept of time loses meaning. So, again, why do you need a before?

Oh, rest assured, the more you know, the worse it gets.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
02-06-2014, 01:54 PM
This is why the gish gallop will never work on a forum like this. Every part of that idiotic statement was taken apart and nailed to the wall by several people. It really just shows the lack of knowledge by the galloper rather than getting anyone off balance.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
02-06-2014, 02:04 PM
(02-06-2014 01:54 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  This is why the gish gallop will never work on a forum like this. Every part of that idiotic statement was taken apart and nailed to the wall by several people. It really just shows the lack of knowledge by the galloper rather than getting anyone off balance.

Exactly. A gish gallop only works when:
  • You're not outnumbered, and
  • The people you're talking to have a time limit to respond.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
02-06-2014, 02:22 PM
So Jeremy is too incompetent to use a technique that is intended to hide one's incompetencies?
[+] 5 users Like Mathilda's post
02-06-2014, 02:26 PM
(02-06-2014 02:22 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  So Jeremy is too incompetent to use a technique that is intended to hide one's incompetencies?

Yes !

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
02-06-2014, 02:26 PM
(02-06-2014 02:22 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  So Jeremy is too incompetent to use a technique that is intended to hide one's incompetencies?

More so that he is so incompetent as to use the wrong tool for the situation. In this format there is very little to hide incompetence.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post