I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2014, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2014 07:37 PM by rampant.a.i..)
(02-06-2014 06:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(02-06-2014 06:01 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I aint reading all the pages of this, so I will just comment.

Blind faith?

Since WHEN is Atheism a faith? It is the exact opposite of faith. It is denial of the supernatural.

Hey kid, when your finished reading this book.

Hitchens 1:1 is all you need to say to your dad.

"what can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.- Christopher Hitchens"

Then walk away victorious.

a skeptic in one set of beliefs is a true believer in another set of beliefs.

Google "Define: Atheist"

(02-06-2014 06:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  for example, some atheists believe that science will one day give us a natural explanation for the beginning of the cosmos. but this is a position of faith.

Incorrect. The position "There is no explanation for the beginning of the Cosmos but God" is a position of faith.

(02-06-2014 06:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  not only that but it is manifestly absurd.

Your beliefs:
[Image: christianity-demotivational-poster.gif]

Scientific beliefs:
We don't know yet, but there was a Big Bang, and we may determine the cause at some later date. We may know know, see Quantum Physics.

(02-06-2014 06:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  There cannot be a natural explanation for the coming into existence of all of that which is natural i.e. the universe. To maintain it could is to seat yourself on a branch of the tree of naturalism and saw it off while you sit on it.

This was pointed out as fallacious logic several pages back, hours ago. Physics apply at the Planck scale, they're just different physics. There's no reason to believe physics never applied before that, but is simply as different as Planck is to observable modern physics.

[Image: bang.jpg]

(02-06-2014 06:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  So those atheists that believe that science will one day give us a natural explanation of the cosmos are exercising faith in believing a self contradicting position.

Nope. Know why I always post the "Name a Scientific explanation later replaced by a Supernatural one" image? Because it's applied consistently since the scientific method was first applied. Knowledge expands, the noose continues tightening. There are fewer and fewer gaps for God to hide in, and those gaps are smaller every day.

That's why you guys (Christianity) tipped from an Immanent to a Transcendent idea of God: The industrial revolution and the corresponding rise in science pushed you into hiding your God somewhere science "couldn't reach." At least for a time.

Nobody found any sea monsters. Or Dragons. Or Unicorns. God seemed less and less probable.

http://sententias.org/2012/06/02/histori...h-century/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanence

So you stuck the concept of God somewhere out of the domain of science, out of desperation. It's the reason you only have one argument (The KCA) to fall back on, and even when it's debunked, you just repeat it again.

Conclusion:

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
02-06-2014, 07:18 PM
RE: I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
(02-06-2014 02:22 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  So Jeremy is too incompetent to use a technique that is intended to hide one's incompetencies?

Yo dawg, I heard you like trollin, so I put some incompetence in your incompetence so you can fail while you fail.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
02-06-2014, 07:22 PM
(02-06-2014 05:56 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  if I were to do what you are doing, I would be accused of video spamming and copying and pasting and not answering a person's posts.

Given that we've already refuted the cosmological argument that you keep busting out repeatedly with no new content to back your stance and without addressing anyones posts, I'm pretty sure the mods could hit you up for spamming.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
02-06-2014, 08:05 PM
This guy brings nothing (other than ignorance) to the table and this thread is in excess of 50 pages? I guess there is some entertainment value but reading his posts makes my hair hurt.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
02-06-2014, 08:11 PM
(02-06-2014 08:05 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  This guy brings nothing (other than ignorance) to the table and this thread is in excess of 50 pages? I guess there is some entertainment value but reading his posts makes my hair hurt.

At least we've conclusively proven the California Sea Lion has better rhythm than most white people.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
02-06-2014, 09:31 PM
(02-06-2014 08:11 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(02-06-2014 08:05 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  This guy brings nothing (other than ignorance) to the table and this thread is in excess of 50 pages? I guess there is some entertainment value but reading his posts makes my hair hurt.

At least we've conclusively proven the California Sea Lion has better rhythm than most white people.

[Image: 1316713879_castle_reaction.gif]
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
02-06-2014, 09:48 PM

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
02-06-2014, 09:57 PM
Can we get a new chew toy? This one smells like rancid meat...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
03-06-2014, 08:04 AM
(02-06-2014 06:29 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  
(02-06-2014 06:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  a skeptic in one set of beliefs is a true believer in another set of beliefs.

for example, some atheists believe that science will one day give us a natural explanation for the beginning of the cosmos. but this is a position of faith. not only that but it is manifestly absurd. There cannot be a natural explanation for the coming into existence of all of that which is natural i.e. the universe. To maintain it could is to seat yourself on a branch of the tree of naturalism and saw it off while you sit on it.

So those atheists that believe that science will one day give us a natural explanation of the cosmos are exercising faith in believing a self contradicting position.

Jeremy there is nothing wrong in having beliefs. What matters is WHY someone believes. Do they have good reasons?

I think should think that most people would want to believe as many true things as possible and disbelieve as many false things as possible.

How does one find out the true things?
Science has consistently proven to be the best , most reliable and self correcting tool humanity has to investigate the universe.

If people believe science can some day answer those questions, it is because science has a frikken excellent track record of answering questions about our universe.

That is not faith in science.

you trust in science. you put your hope in science. you rely on it to give you knowledge about the world you live in. and you believe it will tell you all there is to know about the universe even though you cannot prove this.

that is all i mean by faith.
03-06-2014, 08:09 AM
i see no one is addressing the points i made about the Kalam.