I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2014, 11:32 AM
RE: I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
*rapidly losing temper*

If tomorrow apples fell up we would run tests and experiments, such as dropping apples, to confirm this and examine it. THIS IS SCIENCE. If tomorrow when I looked at a dog and saw a cat I could examine the phenomena and confirm my senses had changed.

Science says NOTHING. it asserts NOTHING. It is a process. No more.

You say I trust my own faculties. That I have no reason for this unless I have faith in them. The difference is that I trust them only so long as they give me accurate info that is consistent with reality. If that stopped I would stop trusting them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
03-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Jeremy has ignored many of my questions... Drinking Beverage

Truth seeker.
[+] 5 users Like diddo97's post
03-06-2014, 11:37 AM
(03-06-2014 11:34 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Jeremy has ignored many of my questions... Drinking Beverage

Jeremy has ignored every question posed to him as he is incapable of defending his tenuous position.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
03-06-2014, 11:37 AM
(03-06-2014 11:22 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-06-2014 10:56 AM)natachan Wrote:  Give me one example. One.

So do you. Further you rely on that trust.

Let's say I build you a bridge. A nice suspension bridge crossing a very deep ravine. Do you trust that bridge to hold your car if I say it will? Why?

By your argument you should never drive over that bridge because you can't be sure it will behave the same from moment to moment. Just because a thousand cars use it doesn't mean it won't turn to butter at any second.

your logic is horrible. i am not arguing that we cannot trust our cognitive faculties. I am not arguing that we cannot trust that tomorrow objects will still fall to the ground like they do today. I am arguing that we do trust in these things and they are not provable scientifically.

The logic of his example is identical to that of yours. Drinking Beverage

We rely on our experience - and so do you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-06-2014, 11:39 AM
(03-06-2014 11:32 AM)natachan Wrote:  *rapidly losing temper*

If tomorrow apples fell up we would run tests and experiments, such as dropping apples, to confirm this and examine it. THIS IS SCIENCE. If tomorrow when I looked at a dog and saw a cat I could examine the phenomena and confirm my senses had changed.

You say I trust my own faculties. That I have no reason for this unless I have faith in them. The difference is that I trust them only so long as they give me accurate info that is consistent with reality. If that stopped I would stop trusting them.

lol all i said is that you trust your cognitive faculties and you assume they are delivering to you an accurate representation of reality.

you don't believe you are a brain in a vat even though you cannot prove this scientifically.

there are certain axioms that you have to believe obtain that cannot be proven scientifically to even be able to do science
03-06-2014, 11:41 AM
(03-06-2014 11:34 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Jeremy has ignored many of my questions... Drinking Beverage

sorry i have about ten different people asking me questions. what did you ask?
03-06-2014, 11:44 AM
I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
(03-06-2014 11:39 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-06-2014 11:32 AM)natachan Wrote:  *rapidly losing temper*

lol all i said is that you trust your cognitive faculties and you assume they are delivering to you an accurate representation of reality.

you don't believe you are a brain in a vat even though you cannot prove this scientifically.

there are certain axioms that you have to believe obtain that cannot be proven scientifically to even be able to do science

That's just stupid, and shows a profound misunderstanding of basic science.

Things that aren't falsifiable aren't scientific. There is no absolute truth. We learn through empirical observation, not a mystical invisible parental figure.

Grow up.

http://youtu.be/LGmTBobnxvs

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
03-06-2014, 11:44 AM
(03-06-2014 11:41 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  

sorry i have about ten different people asking me questions. what did you ask?

I made 2 arguments on page 54 of this thread.

Truth seeker.
03-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Jeremy, you've been on repeat mode long enough that you have stopped being interesting to talk to. You refuse to answer the most basic questions about your (stupid) position. You've shown you're impervious to reason.

I'm done talking to you.

Now, off to read more Ken M. At least that guy knows how to troll!
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
03-06-2014, 11:53 AM
(03-06-2014 11:44 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(03-06-2014 11:41 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  sorry i have about ten different people asking me questions. what did you ask?

I made 2 arguments on page 54 of this thread.

1. the cause of the universe must be timeless, non-spatial and immaterial to bring into existence the totality of all physical/material/natural reality including the space-time manifold.

2. A second argument shows it is more plausible that this efficient cause is a personal agent.

3. This brings us from atheism to theism. Additional arguments would then be presented to show that Jesus was indeed God incarnate i.e. the best explanation for the empty tomb is that Jesus rose bodily from the dead on the Sunday morning following His crucifixion.

4. I do not see believing certain axioms as problematic at all.