I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2014, 01:37 PM
RE: I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
(31-05-2014 01:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Pro tip for the new guy...Jeremy isn't representative of the forum here...he is a fluke...fake...fuckwit....pick any one or combination of two or all three.

I'm a girl. And, thanks, I gathered that. Big Grin

(31-05-2014 01:35 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Steve Shives has a decent analysis of the whole damn thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoTt0-IA...tAAUjC7rkZ

Thanks! I'll check it out! Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes catgoblin's post
31-05-2014, 01:39 PM
(31-05-2014 01:37 PM)catgoblin Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 01:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Pro tip for the new guy...Jeremy isn't representative of the forum here...he is a fluke...fake...fuckwit....pick any one or combination of two or all three.

I'm a girl. And, thanks, I gathered that. Big Grin

Apologies, went by the avatar...my bad. Sadcryface

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
31-05-2014, 01:43 PM
(31-05-2014 01:36 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 01:17 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  ok

either something outside the universe brought it into existence

or

the universe just popped into existence uncaused out of nothing.

take your pick and no it is not a false dichotomy because the universe is not eternal in the past.

The second seems more likely than the first: last I read, it has been established in quantum mechanics that things can seemingly pop into existence and then back out again. It is entirely possible that the singularity was a similar event. Or it could be the same event but interpreted as the first, but without any sort of deity involved, just a stray virtual particle setting things off.
(Of course, I'd ask CJLR on that, for he's rather more well informed on quantum physics than I am...)

i already addressed this in an earlier post. quantum mechanics does not furnish us with a reason to say that the universe could have just popped into existence from nothing without a cause.
31-05-2014, 01:44 PM
(31-05-2014 01:43 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 01:36 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  The second seems more likely than the first: last I read, it has been established in quantum mechanics that things can seemingly pop into existence and then back out again. It is entirely possible that the singularity was a similar event. Or it could be the same event but interpreted as the first, but without any sort of deity involved, just a stray virtual particle setting things off.
(Of course, I'd ask CJLR on that, for he's rather more well informed on quantum physics than I am...)

i already addressed this in an earlier post. quantum mechanics does not furnish us with a reason to say that the universe could have just popped into existence from nothing without a cause.

This is so adorable. It's why we like to bat at this ball of ignorance. He thinks he gets to handwash away an entire field of science cause it interferes with his fairytale.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
31-05-2014, 01:45 PM
(31-05-2014 01:39 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 01:37 PM)catgoblin Wrote:  I'm a girl. And, thanks, I gathered that. Big Grin

Apologies, went by the avatar...my bad. Sadcryface

I'd just like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that I don't actually in fact look like Angela Merkel in real life.
[+] 7 users Like Mathilda's post
31-05-2014, 01:46 PM
(31-05-2014 01:43 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  i already addressed this in an earlier post. quantum mechanics does not furnish us with a reason to say that the universe could have just popped into existence from nothing without a cause.

Friendo, you wouldn't know quantum mechanics if it jumped out of your toilet and bit you in the ass.

As thoroughly exemplified by your lamentable use of the word "nothing", which you have certainly never defined coherently; it would be the height of dishonest equivocation to portray probabilistic time-evolution of quantum systems as being "from nothing" in any way whatsoever.
(or in other words - just what I'd expect from you)

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
(31-05-2014 01:45 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 01:39 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Apologies, went by the avatar...my bad. Sadcryface

I'd just like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that I don't actually in fact look like Angela Merkel in real life.

Gasp

Weeping

EVERYTHING I'VE EVER BELIEVED IS A LIE

... this is my signature!
[+] 7 users Like cjlr's post
(31-05-2014 01:39 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Apologies, went by the avatar...my bad. Sadcryface

Weeping

So many of the things I thought were real, aren't. WeepingWeepingWeeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
(31-05-2014 01:44 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 01:43 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  i already addressed this in an earlier post. quantum mechanics does not furnish us with a reason to say that the universe could have just popped into existence from nothing without a cause.

This is so adorable. It's why we like to bat at this ball of ignorance. He thinks he gets to handwash away an entire field of science cause it interferes with his fairytale.

Without actually posting a link or quoting himself so we can refute it a second time round.
31-05-2014, 01:47 PM

BWAhahahahaha!

My avatar is Data in his Sherlock cap!
[+] 2 users Like catgoblin's post