I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2014, 01:53 PM
RE: I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
Transitional fossils that support the Theory that I'm speaking of would be a fossil of a species in the process of evolving into another.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2014, 02:02 PM
(02-08-2014 01:53 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Transitional fossils that support the Theory that I'm speaking of would be a fossil of a species in the process of evolving into another.

That is every fossil ever. Change is constant.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
02-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Re: RE: I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
(02-08-2014 01:53 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Transitional fossils that support the Theory that I'm speaking of would be a fossil of a species in the process of evolving into another.

Like archaeopteryx if you want specific examples? There's many others.

And almost all fossils are transitional fossils. It's except ones who's specifies died out or remain remarkably close to unchanged like Alligators. There are transitions there but they're minuscule.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
02-08-2014, 03:11 PM
(02-08-2014 01:02 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  
(02-08-2014 12:50 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  So you think it takes faith to believe that a species can become another species over time?
in the sense that I don't see the animals that are transitioning into another species, and something that takes place over billions of years cannot be tested according to the conventional means of testing by the scientific method, yes.

I was going to say something new, but when you're as brilliant as I am, it's convenient to refer to past statements:
(24-07-2013 09:34 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Let me give you an analogy for 'missing links', which are a) DEFINITELY not what you think they are, and b) not even a thing at all.

Two specimens must be sufficient distinct to be counted as different species. Let us consider a number line (that is, real numbers from 0 to 10). Each number is an individual - there is potentially a continuous spectrum of change. But species cannot be arbitrarily similar - let us say they must be separated by an integer's length. We find a 1, a 1.1, and a 0.92 as fossils. They all look pretty much the same, and so we declare them to be species "1". We also known of species "10", which is alive today. We think they might be related - but if so, there must be something in between. Like, say, a "5". We find fossils 4.7, 5.2, and 5.4. They are intermediate in many ways between "1" and "10", our existing classifications, and so we call them a new species "5". This is good enough evidence for most scientists.

Then an obstinate objector cries, "but what about this missing link? There's nothing between '5' and '10'!" Well, no. But scientists predict there was once a species which would probably look like "7". Eventually we find a couple 7.1s in the fossil record, and classify species "7". "But what about the missing link? There's nothing between '7' and '10'!" Well, but one day a prospecting paleontologist finds an "8". "There's nothing between '8' and '10'!" Unfortunately, that is true. We hypothesize a species "9", but its likely habitat and population are such that we might never find its fossils. But in the meantime we've found species "2.5", "4", and "6".

At this point the creationist says "'9' is the missing link, checkmate, atheists", and all competent scientists die a little inside.

The sampling rate of the fossil record is rather coarse, and combined with the low resolution of taxonomy, we will literally never fill in the entire real number line. But there's far more than enough evidence to conclude that it exists...

PS:
(16-08-2013 09:46 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Here, I'll do your work for you.
(12-06-2013 09:53 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Speciation: evidence for, speculation on, and discussion of.
Some
examples
from
the
past
year.

... this is my signature!
02-08-2014, 03:26 PM
I find this youtuber pretty good at explaining evolution

https://www.youtube.com/user/DonExodus2

I would start here ^

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
02-08-2014, 04:06 PM
(02-08-2014 12:34 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Yes but there are forms of evolution that can be seen taking place right before our eyes. Like the super bugs that become immune to antibiotics for existence.

The theory of evolution regarding one species gradually over a period of time evolving into another species is a whole different ballgame, but there is fossil evidence for this.

No, it's precisely the same ballgame, the only game in town. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2014, 10:50 PM
(02-08-2014 04:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-08-2014 12:34 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Yes but there are forms of evolution that can be seen taking place right before our eyes. Like the super bugs that become immune to antibiotics for existence.

The theory of evolution regarding one species gradually over a period of time evolving into another species is a whole different ballgame, but there is fossil evidence for this.

No, it's precisely the same ballgame, the only game in town. Drinking Beverage

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4qx-4ZF1-LZnzeiExdu2...0VSLSaElPA]