I Edit Stories That I Read to my Son...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2013, 08:44 PM
I Edit Stories That I Read to my Son...
I love reading him bedtime stories. One of our favorite books to read is Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein. His poems are so cute and my son loves how silly they can be. But there have been a few that I began reading and then had to skip over a certain part because I realized he was talking about God.

I love reading and free expression, but I can't read those to him. I'm not a bad person, but I do find I feel awkward for doing it at the same time. One poem goes like this:

No Difference

Small as a peanut,
Big as a giant,
We're all the same size
When we turn off the light.

Rich as a sultan,
Poor as a mite,
We're all worth the same

Red, black or orange,
Yellow or white,
We all look the same

So maybe the way
To make everything right
Is for God to just reach out
And turn off the light!

Overall, I like the message. I like to think of a world where we can all get along. But when I first read that part, I stumbled and skipped the line right before the last. I don't think he noticed, but I still felt like I shouldn't edit someone else' art. Drinking Beverage

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2013, 09:04 PM
RE: I Edit Stories That I Read to my Son...
That's an easy one...replace God with everyone.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
03-03-2013, 09:08 PM
(03-03-2013 09:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  That's an easy one...replace God with everyone.
Thanks Thumbsup

But there is this other one about a unicorn: He didn't make it on the ark in time... But of course, my son saw the pictures and wanted me to read it! Dodgy

I diverted his attention THAT time.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
03-03-2013, 09:14 PM
So the moral of this is, if the letters "G O D" make up a single word, you think of yourself before the child you're reading to and corrupt the art to make it suit yourself instead of the child you're willingly reading to?

Makes as much sense to me as a Rosie O'Donnell diet.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
03-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Some stories may be a way to open up conversation. You can tell him the story of the ark but it doesn't have to be in the "it's true because it's in the Bible" sense.

Several years ago I read 'Tom Sawyer' to my son. I didn't edit and it was a book our of a set of classics I had as a child. There were words used at the time of the writing that shouldn't be used now. I explained it to him as we went along.

How old is your son? My girls gave up on my reading to them at about age 7. My son and I read together till he was 10 or 11. I think the last series we went through was "The Narnia Chronicles". We read "The Hobbit", I hadn't read it since my hippie days at that point.

Glad to hear your boy likes to be read to.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
03-03-2013, 09:18 PM
(03-03-2013 09:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  How old is your son?
Glad to hear your boy likes to be read to.
He's going to be 6 in two weeks! Blink

He LOVES reading.

03-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Mine will be 26 in a month...off to find my cane now and my Depends.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-03-2013, 09:23 PM
(03-03-2013 09:14 PM)Matthew Laramore Wrote:  So the moral of this is, if the letters "G O D" make up a single word, you think of yourself before the child you're reading to and corrupt the art to make it suit yourself instead of the child you're willingly reading to?

Makes as much sense to me as a Rosie O'Donnell diet.
I think he's too young to hear about Jesus and God CONSTANTLY. If he hears about it from someone else, I deflate the "situation" as best I can. I made the decision when I found out I was pregnant to not raise him with a religion. When he gets to an age that I believe he can make his own, logical and free thinking opinion about religion, then I won't worry about him so much.

If my child were to ever choose a religion, then I won't stop him and I will ALWAYS love him. But I'm not going to fill his head with fantastical stories about stuff I don't believe while he is still susceptible to brainwashing... Drinking Beverage

And perhaps I can rearrange "G O D" into "dog" and the dog can turn off the lights... THAT is a bit easier to believe even though dogs don't have opposable thumbs to turn off the light.

03-03-2013, 09:31 PM
(03-03-2013 09:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Mine will be 26 in a month...
I don't even want to imagine him being that age. I cried my eyes out when he turned 4. That was the hardest birthday I've experienced so far. But he hasn't told me he's "too old" to spend time with me or hear stories. YET.

Sadcryface2

03-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Why exactly is it that you seek to edit anything about God out? Is it because he isn't going to be religious or what? Why not give him the option to be both and let him decide when he is growing up?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.