I Edit Stories That I Read to my Son...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2013, 09:41 PM
RE: I Edit Stories That I Read to my Son...
(03-03-2013 09:35 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Why exactly is it that you seek to edit anything about God out? Is it because he isn't going to be religious or what? Why not give him the option to be both and let him decide when he is growing up?
I don't edit EVERYTHING about God out of things. It's just when I'm reading a cute story I've never read before and... BAM! A wild religious announcement appears. Think of it as Parental Discretion:

[Image: Parental+Advisory+Unsensored+Ideas.jpg]

Tongue

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
03-03-2013, 10:29 PM
(03-03-2013 09:41 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 09:35 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Why exactly is it that you seek to edit anything about God out? Is it because he isn't going to be religious or what? Why not give him the option to be both and let him decide when he is growing up?
I don't edit EVERYTHING about God out of things. It's just when I'm reading a cute story I've never read before and... BAM! A wild religious announcement appears. Think of it as Parental Discretion:

[Image: Parental+Advisory+Unsensored+Ideas.jpg]

Tongue

Whatever, its just that your parental discretion has consequences for the child, whether good or bad. Tongue

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
03-03-2013, 10:47 PM
The last thing I'd worry about is editing someone's art. It is your book (or , your son's) and you are reading it. Do with it what you like. In fact, my experience has been that kids like to hear a new twist in an old story once in a while. So yeah, edit out religious verbiage and avoid that conversation at bedtime but to be sure, six is old enough to learn that religion exists. And, you can tell him about religion without telling him it's true. Religion is as real as Harry Potter stories. Wink

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like bbeljefe's post
04-03-2013, 04:06 AM
(03-03-2013 09:08 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 09:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  That's an easy one...replace God with everyone.
Thanks Thumbsup

But there is this other one about a unicorn: He didn't make it on the ark in time... But of course, my son saw the pictures and wanted me to read it! Dodgy

I diverted his attention THAT time.

I was watching a kind of spinoff of The Young Turks (a liberal, atheistic talk show) yesterday, and there was a woman who made a very valid point about exposing children to religious stories. She said that we shouldn't shove such stories under the rug like they're special or different from the other stories. Because they're not. In reality, they're just fantastical stories like The Little Engine That Could or 3 Little Pigs. It's fine to read religious stories to kids; just as long as we keep them in their proper place: on the bookshelf with all the other obviously-imaginary stories.

As your son grows up, he'll have no problem accepting that 3 Little Pigs is a fictional tale. There's no reason it can't be the same for stories about unicorns on the Ark. The only difference is that he'll laugh when he sees that some people believe his favorite childhood book of fairy tales to be historical fact.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
04-03-2013, 07:51 AM
I skipped large tracts of Dan Barker's "maybe yes, maybe no" with my daughter:
a) Because it explicitly called out religion and it wasn't a conversation I was ready to have, and
b) Because it stated the "rules of science" in a way I feel is dumbed down and inaccurate rather than getting in at a child's level - eg the "It must make sense" rule - half of science doesn't make sense. The evidence behind it and the false predictions of alternative explanations are why we accept the current body of scientific knowledge.

I freely edit themes I'm not happy with, although I'm reasonably happy to discuss religious ideas in a context that makes it clear that belief is not mandatory or expected Smile

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
04-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Man if I were lucky enough to have this problem *sigh*

ANYWAY!

I wouldn't worry about editing out the god stuff. It's good to expose your children to these ideas because they do exist around them in the world. Perhaps you could explain it to them as being a faerie tale? Like Cinderella or The Snow Queen? Also perhaps reading the story through before you read it to him so these little things don't catch you off guard.

I also would like to agree with whoever it was that recommended The Hobbit. Tongue No bias there. (If I ever have kids the poor things are going to have to hear that story every year. LOL)

The Out Crowd.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
04-03-2013, 11:31 AM
(04-03-2013 10:33 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Man if I were lucky enough to have this problem *sigh*

I'm sure we can find you some help with that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
04-03-2013, 11:35 AM
(04-03-2013 11:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-03-2013 10:33 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Man if I were lucky enough to have this problem *sigh*

I'm sure we can find you some help with that. Drinking Beverage
Are you going to volunteer your services Chas? Angel

The Out Crowd.
04-03-2013, 11:37 AM
(04-03-2013 11:35 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(04-03-2013 11:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  I'm sure we can find you some help with that. Drinking Beverage
Are you going to volunteer your services Chas? Angel

I could rise to the occasion. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
04-03-2013, 11:43 AM
(04-03-2013 11:37 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-03-2013 11:35 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Are you going to volunteer your services Chas? Angel

I could rise to the occasion. Yes
Mis is gonna be all kinds of heartbroken however. Weeping

The Out Crowd.