I Feel Alone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2014, 11:07 PM
RE: I Feel Alone
I was your age when I finally gave up on going to church. My 21st birthday was really shitty. I had very few friends and felt really lonely.. It's interesting how the friends we have at church turn out to be friends of convenience. Once I stopped attending, it's like they forgot I lived in the same town. It's a tough time, I remember. Hang in there, though, you'll start to make new friends in time and in a few years all this will just be a memory.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2014, 09:38 PM
(08-05-2014 11:07 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I was your age when I finally gave up on going to church. My 21st birthday was really shitty. I had very few friends and felt really lonely.. It's interesting how the friends we have at church turn out to be friends of convenience. Once I stopped attending, it's like they forgot I lived in the same town. It's a tough time, I remember. Hang in there, though, you'll start to make new friends in time and in a few years all this will just be a memory.

Thank you so much!

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
10-05-2014, 10:18 PM
(10-05-2014 09:38 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 11:07 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I was your age when I finally gave up on going to church. My 21st birthday was really shitty. I had very few friends and felt really lonely.. It's interesting how the friends we have at church turn out to be friends of convenience. Once I stopped attending, it's like they forgot I lived in the same town. It's a tough time, I remember. Hang in there, though, you'll start to make new friends in time and in a few years all this will just be a memory.

Thank you so much!

Anytime Thumbsup Feel free to PM me if you ever need me to commiserate or something haha

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
11-05-2014, 03:43 PM
(08-05-2014 09:34 PM)Je.Haubner Wrote:  Im going through this right now actually... it is so hard I feel very isolated. What im trying to do is learn something new everyday. I actually read science textbooks so I can understand evolution and where we came from! We are here for you!

yeah. it's tough man. what's your background?

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
11-05-2014, 03:49 PM
(11-05-2014 03:43 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 09:34 PM)Je.Haubner Wrote:  Im going through this right now actually... it is so hard I feel very isolated. What im trying to do is learn something new everyday. I actually read science textbooks so I can understand evolution and where we came from! We are here for you!

yeah. it's tough man. what's your background?

Actually I'm a chick lol... I am from a devout pentecostal Christian family. .. the annoying name it, claim it people. My parents disregard science and logic they don't believe in sending their children to a doctor when sick, they just pray over them. They don't take medicine or believe the children should either. I'm one of 6 children. No birth control in our house! Lucky none of us got pregnant in high school. Im the one and only atheist in my family.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2014, 10:53 PM
(11-05-2014 03:49 PM)Je.Haubner Wrote:  
(11-05-2014 03:43 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  yeah. it's tough man. what's your background?

Actually I'm a chick lol... I am from a devout pentecostal Christian family. .. the annoying name it, claim it people. My parents disregard science and logic they don't believe in sending their children to a doctor when sick, they just pray over them. They don't take medicine or believe the children should either. I'm one of 6 children. No birth control in our house! Lucky none of us got pregnant in high school. Im the one and only atheist in my family.

I apologize! I didn't mean the sentiment in literal context. But to recitify... it's tough girl. Wink

and wow. my wife is from a apostolic family. those churches are always casting out devils and stuff.

PM me, we can be struggling friends together. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes elconquistador's post
11-05-2014, 11:41 PM
Hi Elconquistador.

I have some advice regareing those arseholes you thought were your friends.

Fuck them!

Oh, and get piano lessons. It is as easy as picking up a phone. But don't go to a "piano teacher". Call your local music store and ask them to recommend a working player.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
11-05-2014, 11:50 PM
Let me start by saying you are not alone! I actually had a friend who was in a similar situation.. shes my next door neighbor. I did some remodeling on her house for her and became quick friends. When i met her she went to church.. had church friends.. but she would always kind of voice her doubts. When i finally told her i was an atheist she just seemed astonished. Now im from Texas.. so its not really "okay" here.. I actually have quite a hard time telling people.. in high school i was ridiculed for not believing in god.. so i've become quite timid about telling people. But anyways my first thought was "great shes gunna kick me out, here we go.." but instead she just asked me questions.. Not sarcastically either.. it was kind of weird. I just told here truthfully what i thought about religion and how it made absolutely no sense.. I showed her all the contradictions in the bible.. i just laid it all out there. We talked about it every time i came over to work.. She eventually started getting online and researching for herself and she let me know that what i was saying made sense and that it kind of opened her eyes. She then acted like she was ashamed of herself and kind of got depressed.. I mean she lived her whole life by this (shes like 45 btw).. wasted hours upon hours of reading the bible and "studying" it. I can't imagine it.. i never really believed at all.. and the time i did it nearly drove me insane thinking i was going to hell for anything and everything.. I actually almost took my own life a few times because i thought i was a bad person and that i was a freak. So coming to the realization that.. God isn't real was more of a relief for me.

But anyways after weeks of not going to church her pastor called her. She told me she asked him a bunch of questions and they had a long conversation. But she ended up telling him that she just didn't believe anymore. He said he got angry with her and spewed some nonsense about her being a sinner.. This is someone shes known for 20+ years by the way. Instead of just accepting her doubts and remaining her friend he told everyone else.. who then pretty much did the same thing thats happening with you. Completely shut her off.. people shes known for YEARS. Honestly i felt bad.. like i had caused it.. i told her i was sorry. But she just hugged me and thanked me. She said she was having doubts her whole life anyways, she also said her own father later in his life stopped believing and tried to convince her then. She regretted dismissing him.. she got all teary on me and stuff and thanked me again.

The first couple months she was pretty depressed.. and i felt bad for her. I thought maybe i should have just kept my mouth shut. But eventually some of her friends started calling her and talking to her again. They didn't care that she didn't believe.. it was just hard for them at first because they didn't understand and was told by their pastor she was a sinner and all this mumbo jumbo. It's been about 6 months and she seems happier than ever. She goes to Galveston to fish and even started meeting new people.. She actually recently started dating again. I think sometimes people are worried if they don't have a religion there wont be any place they can go to meet people like them.. But they're wrong there are all kinds of places to go to meet fellow atheist.. Atheism is growing thanks to easy to find knowledge (internet). So im betting soon there will be even more communities to join where you can relate to others. Plus some religious people are pretty accepting of whoever you are.. i mean 75% of my irl friends are religious. They know i don't believe and thats fine with them.. i don't try and change them and vise versa. But if one of them asked me about why i believe what i do, i would tell them.

Anyways i hope this helps in some way.. Just remember you are not alone and i think things will be much better for you in the future. So turn that frown upside down my friend! Tongue

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
― Epicurus
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Brightside's post
12-05-2014, 12:03 AM
(11-05-2014 11:41 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Hi Elconquistador.

I have some advice regareing those arseholes you thought were your friends.

Fuck them!

Thanks for the giggle!

Angel Laughat

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes CindysRain's post
12-05-2014, 12:26 AM
How I wish that I had figured this all out at your age.

I went to a fundy baptist church all my life. I actually stopped going quite a few years back. My transition has been a slow one. Still, 99% of my family & friends are christians, and they do not know that I am an atheist now.

I just read a book by Jerry DeWitt called Hope After Faith. Yet another story of a former pastor, turned atheist. I'm considering reading the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins next. This is truly helping me continue the detox process. I still have some religious triggers, and it also helps you to feel not so alone!

I'm so glad you found this site! As you can see, they are far kinder and accepting than ANY religious sect out there. I know it feels a bit awkward at first, but enjoy this new found freedom.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain