I Feel Suffocated

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2014, 09:42 PM
RE: I Feel Suffocated
(18-01-2014 02:04 PM)morondog Wrote:  Are they really your friends if you can't tell them what you really think ?...

Thumbsup

And...are you really the friend you claim to be if you are pretending to be someone youre not? Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2014, 12:08 AM
(21-01-2014 09:42 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(18-01-2014 02:04 PM)morondog Wrote:  Are they really your friends if you can't tell them what you really think ?...

Thumbsup

And...are you really the friend you claim to be if you are pretending to be someone youre not? Consider

She has already said that she considers herself their friend. Plenty of people have difficulty with telling their friends and family that they're atheist. I myself didn't tell my parents right up until the end of 2010. It's not something to feel guilty over IMO. But... when it's something big like that, when it's something important that you hold back... eventually it does cause a bit of a rift. You become unable to ignore it and they become confused because you don't act in ways they expect... so you drift apart...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
22-01-2014, 08:32 AM
(21-01-2014 09:16 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  If I were to tell people though before college, I'm slightly worried about my brother. We have the same group of friends. About half of the group is seniors and the other half is sophomores. He's agnostic, and I don't want to have to put him in the situation of having to deal with people trying to get him to convert me or starting to question his beliefs if he isn't ready for it. I guess I could talk to him before doing so, but I just don't want to leave him in a bad situation.

actually sometimes its easier when you have an older sibling 'pave the way' . You aren't singled out as much as you are lumped in with your sibling. There were many times that I was lumped in with older brothers or cousins…..sometimes for the right reasons, sometimes not Angel (examples I've heard: "Your sister used to ride horses too, didn't she?" or "You aren't the first (family surname) that I've busted for underage drinking. I've caught both of your brothers and your cousins too" )

sometimes living in a small town can be tough.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
26-01-2014, 05:50 AM
Find your intellectual peers and the rest of your world will fall into place.

Don't take this to mean "ditch your friends" however; let your friends ditch you if that's how the chips fall. Tell them the truth. Maybe they'll surprise you and stick around. Most of mine did.

Honestly politics has killed more friendships for me than religion. Political partisans believe anyone who disagrees with them is evil, racist, brainwashed, stupid, et cetera. This belief doesn't change just because they temporarily make a friend outside their partisan bubble. It's the same thing as fundamentalist religion only without any pretense to grace or humility before a higher power.

I'm not injecting my own story into yours for no reason here; I've felt the sting of rejection and the light of true friendship. It shouldn't feel any worse to be rejected for religious views than for political ones, and having faced that rejection I can tell you you'll survive. Your honesty in something so important as this will make you stronger even if your worst predictions come true. Intellectual integrity can be a lonely road, but not only can you take pride in walking it, it will also help you see who your real friends are.