I HATE READING!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 12:46 PM
I HATE READING!
So I just tried to open up my copy of Brave New world and read the first 10 pages of it. After almost 10 pages, I was shouting at the book to shut the fuck up, then I closed it and laid in bed groaning for I don't know how long. Then I opened it up again and the pages once again seethed my brain.

I just cannot do this fucking reading thing. I know it's supposed to be one of the most fulfilling experiences in life, but when I pick up this book it's just so tedious to read, it eventually starts to feel like I'm just exercising my mere will to keep reading it.

I want to be into reading, I want to enjoy getting lost in stories. I just don't know why it's so fucking frustrating and difficult, I feel like I want to punch something when I read Brave New World. I've read a couple other books this year all the way through, Franz Kafka's the metamorphosis, the wasp factory, and In The Miso Soup. So I'm NOT INCAPABLE of doing this. I just don't know what the fuck is the what the fuck.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2016, 01:01 PM
RE: I HATE READING!
Then this must be a terrible sight for you.

One of my biggest crutch's is my dyslexia. When I read I have to go back a couple of times because the sentences don't make sense to me. Words seem out of place, or even backwards.

Another is my daydreaming, I'll get an idea in my head then drift off. But mean while I'm flipping threw the words not getting what their saying. By time I catch myself I'll be a few pages in and have to go back because I feel out of place.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
17-05-2016, 01:08 PM
(17-05-2016 01:01 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Then this must be a terrible sight for you.

One of my biggest crutch's is my dyslexia. When I read I have to go back a couple of times because the sentences don't make sense to me. Words seem out of place, or even backwards.

Another is my daydreaming, I'll get an idea in my head then drift off. But mean while I'm flipping threw the words not getting what their saying. By time I catch myself I'll be a few pages in and have to go back because I feel out of place.

The exact same thing happens to me. I will be reading on for like a paragraph or a page, then have to go back because I'll realize I wasn't actually paying attention to what the words were saying and my mind was somewhere else.

I think the word you're looking for is site, and this isn't a bad website for me. I don't have trouble reading a few sentences or paragraphs, but if I have to just read page after page for prolonged periods of time, then it becomes very stressful for me. Like even right now, my brain still feels worn out from trying to read that fucking brave new world book.
[+] 1 user Likes Mittens Deluxe's post
17-05-2016, 01:32 PM
Maybe try reading something else? Brave New World is a great book but ... there are more gentle ways to get into reading. Kafka... I've tried and failed to read Kafka, and I consider myself to be a voracious reader.

Try short stories too. Those can be very enjoyable. There are several books of collected short stories in just about every genre.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-05-2016, 01:35 PM
You don't start lifting weights by strapping every weight available on the bar - and start pumping......

You start off light, and work your way up.

Try cereal boxes first....

Tongue

But, seriously - you get the idea...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
17-05-2016, 01:38 PM
(17-05-2016 12:46 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  So I just tried to open up my copy of Brave New world and read the first 10 pages of it. After almost 10 pages, I was shouting at the book to shut the fuck up, then I closed it and laid in bed groaning for I don't know how long. Then I opened it up again and the pages once again seethed my brain.

I just cannot do this fucking reading thing. I know it's supposed to be one of the most fulfilling experiences in life, but when I pick up this book it's just so tedious to read, it eventually starts to feel like I'm just exercising my mere will to keep reading it.

I want to be into reading, I want to enjoy getting lost in stories. I just don't know why it's so fucking frustrating and difficult, I feel like I want to punch something when I read Brave New World. I've read a couple other books this year all the way through, Franz Kafka's the metamorphosis, the wasp factory, and In The Miso Soup. So I'm NOT INCAPABLE of doing this. I just don't know what the fuck is the what the fuck.

tl;dr

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
17-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Not a fan of Reading either, if you are making me go past Swindon I may as whole go the whole hog and hit London.
[+] 4 users Like Blessed_Cheesemaker's post
17-05-2016, 01:46 PM
(17-05-2016 12:46 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  So I just tried to open up my copy of Brave New world and read the first 10 pages of it. After almost 10 pages, I was shouting at the book to shut the fuck up, then I closed it and laid in bed groaning for I don't know how long. Then I opened it up again and the pages once again seethed my brain.

Maybe just don't read if you don't like it?

I don't like playing tennis, so I don't do that activity. I wish I could enjoy it because other people seem to like it, but I really just think it's mind-numbingly inane to stand on a court whacking a fuzzy yellow ball. I think it's stupid to push myself to do something that I hate so much.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
17-05-2016, 01:49 PM
(17-05-2016 01:40 PM)Blessed_Cheesemaker Wrote:  Not a fan of Reading either, if you are making me go past Swindon I may as whole go the whole hog and hit London.

I lived in Reading for 10 years. I strongly advise bypassing Swindon.

Yes

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
17-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Brave New World was one of the ones we had to read in high school. I can appreciate that it is a literary classic but it's not one I would read again.

Try reading subjects you like, although I would not start with atheism. That gets heavy real quick.

Science fiction? Fantasy? Murder mysteries/detective fiction?

If you look around here, there's a couple of threads where people have asked for book recommendations. Try that. Start a thread, list your likes/dislikes and see what people recommend.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky