I LOL'd as an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2011, 01:38 PM
I LOL'd as an atheist
I just came back from Rome. I visited lots of temples and stuff (all of them was beautiful!) But there was one point when I was particularly happy to be an atheist.
The sacred stairs are said to be taken from the Middle East by Helena into Rome. Supposedly it was the staircase on which Jesus went up to Poncius Pilate.
So the faithful gets on his knees and crawl up the stairs praying for like 5 minutes on each. Then kisses the supposed spot to which Jesus' blood fell (surprisingly it's in the geometrical center of the stair). Then prays a last one, and never forgets to leave a solemn offering.
Unlike me, who went up the side stairs and thanked God to be an atheist Wink
And took a photo...
[Image: lepf.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheSelfishGene's post
27-06-2011, 01:46 PM
RE: I LOL'd as an atheist
I bet you saved a lot of time.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Like, 5 hours... Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
27-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Sure. And a knee arthritis. Smile

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
27-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Are those people idolizing those stairs?
28-06-2011, 12:36 AM
I thought it was an escalator...

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
28-06-2011, 06:38 AM
I was in northern Italy so the only long stairs were for the duomos, which have no alternative. If you want to really gain a hatred for Catholicism visit the basilica and monastery of St. Francis. I was so disgusted..... While in the churches I didn't really feel overwhelmed by their beauty I was actually disgusted by the deceptive ceilings and all the eye catching things that just made it hard to be in the place. Just like my childhood church experiences it was all just so obviously built to help people lower their guard.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
28-06-2011, 01:12 PM
I just got to thinking of that giant boulder from indiana jones for some reason....

[Image: indy_boulder.jpg]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
28-06-2011, 01:39 PM
The SelfishGene's photo is so depressing , the plight of our species.....

Humanity , on its knees , before a myth & struggling uphill.

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
[/font][/size]

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
[+] 4 users Like watchman's post
28-06-2011, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2011 01:47 PM by lucradis.)
(28-06-2011 01:39 PM)watchman Wrote:  The SelfishGene's photo is so depressing , the plight of our species.....

Humanity , on its knees , before a myth & struggling uphill.

You think that's depressing...

http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/...n51989627/

[Image: 200px-Israel_5_010_jpg_Via_Dolorosa-_Wal...ess(1).jpg]

or

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uGyVcvou1EY/S7...cross2.jpg

Just some old family friendly entertainment. And how come religion isn't widely accepted as delusional again????