I Love This Place...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2015, 05:10 PM
RE: I Love This Place...
(25-08-2015 03:04 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Bunch of fucking surly pessimists in here. Jesus, what crawled up your asses?

Glad you like it here Matrim. Don't let Muffs scare you. There's one or two people kicking around here that can strip that orange from him if he gets too out of hand. Dodgy

Lies! I am like a baby running around on the beach who just got free of his nappy, I will never go back!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post
25-08-2015, 10:46 PM
(25-08-2015 05:10 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 03:04 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Bunch of fucking surly pessimists in here. Jesus, what crawled up your asses?

Glad you like it here Matrim. Don't let Muffs scare you. There's one or two people kicking around here that can strip that orange from him if he gets too out of hand. Dodgy

Lies! I am like a baby running around on the beach who just got free of his nappy, I will never go back!

[Image: latest?cb=20140928111255]

[Image: article-1314000-0B4A3C21000005DC-532_468x332.jpg]

Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 10 users Like EvolutionKills's post
26-08-2015, 12:21 AM
(25-08-2015 03:38 PM)morondog Wrote:  Sad I'm sad Galad and Egwene died, even if they were killed off by an impostor. Fucken authors. Just when you think you can hate them in peace...

Don't be sad they died. Trust me dude, it's not "spoiler alert". No doubt it was clear to you already that many of the main characters were destined to die in the Final Battle. And they went out like champs!

I won't tell you how Egwene dies, because it's one of the best parts of the ending, but Galad almost kills a Forsaken by himself, using a ter'angreal that protected him from channeling and his sword skills alone. He almost beat Demandred, the greatest of their duelists, sword-to-sword, but Demandred cut his arm just enough to sever the tendons that let Galad hold his weapon, and that was that.

(25-08-2015 03:38 PM)morondog Wrote:  Mat was def my favourite, otherwise I liked Perrin, Faile, that bard guy who Matt was friendly with... His female characters weren't helluva... engaging, as far as I was concerned, although at least they were pretty independent and did their own thing and fucked if they cared if the menfolk didn't approve. Jordan did have a knack for coming up with cool storylines.

Yes, I almost listed Thom Merrelin as one of my faves, but I figured three was enough. His part in the Final Battle is so funny! He just casually sits by the entrance to a cave where Rand is casting The Big Spell™ for a couple of days, looking like he's not paying attention, then every time a Black Ajah or other darkfriend shows up to kill Rand in his trance state, Thom casually flicks his wrist and a dagger appears in the badguy's eye socket! Too funny, the way Sanderson writes it.

I don't consider Sanderson "an imposter", at all. Indeed, he's a better technical and poetic writer than Jordan, and I think if Jordan had (somehow, since he's no older than I am and the series started when Sanderson was still in his teens) worked with him from the beginning, the series would have been more coherent and better-written overall, eliminating most of the complaints you have cited against Jordan.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
26-08-2015, 02:09 AM
(26-08-2015 12:21 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 03:38 PM)morondog Wrote:  Sad I'm sad Galad and Egwene died, even if they were killed off by an impostor. Fucken authors. Just when you think you can hate them in peace...

Don't be sad they died. Trust me dude, it's not "spoiler alert". No doubt it was clear to you already that many of the main characters were destined to die in the Final Battle. And they went out like champs!

I won't tell you how Egwene dies, because it's one of the best parts of the ending, but Galad almost kills a Forsaken by himself, using a ter'angreal that protected him from channeling and his sword skills alone. He almost beat Demandred, the greatest of their duelists, sword-to-sword, but Demandred cut his arm just enough to sever the tendons that let Galad hold his weapon, and that was that.

(25-08-2015 03:38 PM)morondog Wrote:  Mat was def my favourite, otherwise I liked Perrin, Faile, that bard guy who Matt was friendly with... His female characters weren't helluva... engaging, as far as I was concerned, although at least they were pretty independent and did their own thing and fucked if they cared if the menfolk didn't approve. Jordan did have a knack for coming up with cool storylines.

Yes, I almost listed Thom Merrelin as one of my faves, but I figured three was enough. His part in the Final Battle is so funny! He just casually sits by the entrance to a cave where Rand is casting The Big Spell™ for a couple of days, looking like he's not paying attention, then every time a Black Ajah or other darkfriend shows up to kill Rand in his trance state, Thom casually flicks his wrist and a dagger appears in the badguy's eye socket! Too funny, the way Sanderson writes it.

I don't consider Sanderson "an imposter", at all. Indeed, he's a better technical and poetic writer than Jordan, and I think if Jordan had (somehow, since he's no older than I am and the series started when Sanderson was still in his teens) worked with him from the beginning, the series would have been more coherent and better-written overall, eliminating most of the complaints you have cited against Jordan.

Ok once may have been a typo so I didn't say anything Galad does not die, Gawayn does.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
26-08-2015, 07:59 AM
Gawayn is killed right before his half-brother, by the same Forsaken. Then the third attack by Lan kills Damodred.

At least, that's what I remember... three charges, one success.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
26-08-2015, 08:05 AM
Nope; I looked it up, and you're right. Annoura saves him with a Gate, burning herself out. Forgot about that part. I thought he died once Damodred cut him, which is the part I remember. I stand corrected.

Still a tough fight!

26-08-2015, 08:12 AM
[Image: w5VMnYe.jpg]

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
26-08-2015, 08:23 AM
Spoiler alerts. Jesus people. I might want to read those books one day. I can't read through the posts - fortunately the names don't mean much to me and hopefully I won't remember who dies. Although, I don't like books where all the characters die or main characters or ones I really care about.

I like it here, too. What an amazing group of so very different, amazing people!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
26-08-2015, 08:54 AM
(26-08-2015 08:23 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Although, I don't like books where all the characters die or main characters or ones I really care about.

Then I definitely recommend that you avoid The Wheel of Time, and most definitely don't read what is colloquially called the Game of Thrones series!

It would break you! Laugh out load

26-08-2015, 09:17 AM
(26-08-2015 08:54 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  ..... Most definitely don't read what is colloquially called the Game of Thrones series!

This! most definitely THIS! Read the first... three(?) J.R.R.Martin books and, yes, they are very good.

Then J. went on something like a 10 year hiatus (No more publishing the story) and when J. came back?

Yah... sucks-ville for the story line/character development etc.