I Need Help Writing a Letter to the Court!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2013, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2013 07:17 PM by Peanut.)
I Need Help Writing a Letter to the Court!
A few months ago, I got a letter from the state of Michigan, the Wyoming District Court regarding possible jury selection. (It was the one that they send asking if I'd be willing to be in a jury pool in the future.) Now, I want to explain that I have been OBSESSED with the idea of being on a jury for YEARS. I read and watch a lot of True Crime stories; I think it would be very interesting to be on a jury, regardless of the crime. I would be a perfect candidate.

When I tell people about my desire to be on a jury, they roll their eyes! They completely disagree and tell me that I'm crazy to want to spend potentially days or weeks listening to testimony. I've not met ONE person who shares my desire to be on a jury... Whatever. I like the idea Cool

I immediately sent the questionnaire back in the mail within a day. About three months passed, and I began to think that I wasn't even worthy of being in the jury pool. Sadcryface I would complain to people that "I wasn't chosen."

A few days ago, I get a letter in the mail. I opened it and read:

JURY VENIRE
IN THE NAME OF THE PEOPLE OF THE CITY OF WYOMING

Exclamation Big Grin Unsure Angry Censored

I got very excited, I smiled, grew anxious and then got mad, all within thirty seconds!

I am to appear at the court on May 9, 2013. My reaction to this, if the date were to fall sometime after the ninth of May, would have been somewhere along the lines of Banana_zorro The only reason I am now pissed and sad is because the date of the ordered appearance falls right in the middle of my long-awaited vacation to Arizona! (May 5-12) I also find it super hilarious because that date is also my birthday... IT'S LIKE A BIRTHDAY PRESENT! But not anymore! I liken it to somebody getting me a car as a gift, only for me to say that I can't drive. Actually, no. I would be able to get my license at some point; The car would remain until I can legally drive that thing. I liken it to... [insert some kind of gift one may receive that they would potentially never get to enjoy/use] I admit to not realizing that if they chose to put me into the jury pool, it might be a few months. (I was just super excited!) All I focused on, that would take potentially a few months or more, was the actual trial itself.

Okay. I needed to vent. Now that I got that off my chest, I'd like to bring up my original, intended post/question:

What do I write to the court? It says If you have questions or concerns regarding this date of service, you must contact this court IN WRITING at least 14 days prior to this appearance date.

I REALLY want to be on a jury, but at this time, I must put that dream aside. Weeping I have to hope the court will allow me to miss the appearance because of my planned vacation to a place about six states away. I doubt they'd consider me "making up a missed court date" because, ya know, why do I think I'm so special?

Anybody familiar with court procedures that could help me with this? I don't know what to write in my letter to the court. I need help! (Again, at this point, I'm simply trying to tell them I won't be available to appear on that date, NOT to try and convince them to let me make it up.)

I have until next Thursday to send the letter. HELP?!

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2013, 07:31 PM
RE: I Need Help Writing a Letter to the Court!
There should be a phone number, address. or website you can go to where you can explain the situation. I am pretty sure they don't make people cancel travel plans to maybe be selected for a jury.

Contact them to find out what you have to do. Often trials get cancelled if a plea is reached anyway.

Just don't wait and simply not show up...some states and judges are real grumpy about that.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
16-04-2013, 07:36 PM
(16-04-2013 07:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  There should be a phone number, address. or website you can go to where you can explain the situation. I am pretty sure they don't make people cancel travel plans to maybe be selected for a jury.

Contact them to find out what you have to do. Often trials get cancelled if a plea is reached anyway.

Just don't wait and simply not show up...some states and judges are real grumpy about that.
There is an address. The only thing the said in regards to "concerns" I would have about the date was the underlined text in my post Dodgy They didn't explain anything else.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
16-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Google the court and find a phone number...you are selected for a jury pool, they always send notices to more people than they need. Drop them a simple letter to the address they give.

Ask that they put your name in the pool for the next time around.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
16-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Start by thanking them for the opportunity to serve your community blah blah blah... Explain that you have already made travel plans and incurred expenses for said plans yada yada... Then express your joyful willingness to sit on a jury any time after you return to the fine city of Wyoming on the 12th blah deedle dee blee blurp... et cetera, et cetera.

They should be happy that you have an actual willingness to participate.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 3 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
16-04-2013, 09:53 PM
I agree with the advice you've been given. I'm in Ontario, Canada but this worked for me several years ago. I would suggest spending the money on a registered letter. Unfortunately, I've not been contacted for jury duty since. Sad

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
16-04-2013, 09:56 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2013 09:59 PM by Peanut.)
(16-04-2013 09:53 PM)Heathen Wrote:  Unfortunately, I've not been contacted for jury duty since. Sad

I don't wanna hear that! Sadcryface lol, I... I want to be on a jury. I'm sad that the odds of getting chosen again are small.

Does this mean YOU find the idea of serving on a jury interesting, too? (Have I met someone else who thinks it would be kinda cool?) Consider

16-04-2013, 10:00 PM
(16-04-2013 09:56 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 09:53 PM)Heathen Wrote:  Unfortunately, I've not been contacted for jury duty since. Sad

I don't wanna hear that! Sadcryface lol, I... I want to be on a jury. I'm sad that the odds of getting chosen again are small.

Does this mean YOU find the idea of serving on a jury interesting, too? (Have I met someone else who thinks it would be kinda cool?) Consider

It depends on what the case was but I could see that as being interesting.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-04-2013, 10:08 PM
I think you wanna be like Juror #8 on twelve angry men...
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
16-04-2013, 10:11 PM
(16-04-2013 09:56 PM)Peanut Wrote:  

I've always been interested in the legal process and I think I would find it very interesting. It sounds like you and I had the same reaction at getting the letter and then realizing what the date was. It could just be a fluke that I haven't been called since. At least I hope so.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume