I Need Help Writing a Letter to the Court!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2013, 12:28 AM
RE: I Need Help Writing a Letter to the Court!
Fuck the vacation, this is a once in a life time opportunity.
As a commercial law student, and someone who wants to return to acquire my law degree and practice criminal law, I would fucking kill to be on a jury (though while that would land me in court, probably not on the jury seat...).

Vacations are like a once a year thing, just postpone it, you don't need to out right cancel it.
IT'S JURY DUTY! Take it, then come tell us all about the case so we may illegally sway your opinion.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
17-04-2013, 12:43 AM
(17-04-2013 12:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Fuck the vacation, this is a once in a life time opportunity.
As a commercial law student, and someone who wants to return to acquire my law degree and practice criminal law, I would fucking kill to be on a jury (though while that would land me in court, probably not on the jury seat...).

Vacations are like a once a year thing, just postpone it, you don't need to out right cancel it.
IT'S JURY DUTY! Take it, then come tell us all about the case so we may illegally sway your opinion.
This whole post made me LOL Big Grin

I think your opinion that I should take it is biased based on the last sentence Tongue

I would make a "perfect candidate" because I can see all points of a conversation and base my 'verdict' based solely on the testimony presented. I would also make a great candidate because I know to keep things confidential. If I get the opportunity to do this, I will surely share the dirt AFTER the trial is over. (Perhaps you'll see me giving "jury feedback" on some news show, hmm? Sweeeeet.)

I would say I could postpone the vacation, but I didn't pay for it; I'm not the one who invested $400 in round-trip tickets Blink Although, when I mentioned my desire to partake in this opportunity, I was told that they could always find someone to "take my place" if I decide I'd rather take a chance of sitting in a courtroom for four hours, only to be dismissed because of something that either the prosecutor or defense team didn't like. (I hope they don't ask if I believe in God...) Laughat

"Damn it, man. Keep that guy outta the courtroom. NO. And I will not 'swear on that bible,' either!" *I'm just trippin'. They will probably dismiss me because of the piercings or the fact that I have a child.* (One thing that gave me a hint of what the case is about was the question "Have you or anyone you've ever known been involved in a vehicle accident? Was alcohol a factor in the incident?") Consider I've ignored ALL news regarding any car accidents in my local news Smartass

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
17-04-2013, 01:02 AM
WARNING: I SWEAR A LOT! Laughat

This was recorded only minutes after reading that letter. As you can see, I was so upset, I didn't even care that there was a window behind me and that it would cause a glare on the video Huh

And then, I took this clip... Again, the lighting is horrible and I also never intended for anyone other than a certain someone and myself to see it Dodgy But I think this will help you guys help ME in deciding which way to go and/or what to say.

The sadness and my "WTF" attitude is in my voice and my hand gestures Censored

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
17-04-2013, 12:15 PM
In the Peoples Republic of Maryland, you will be actively refused if you seek to volunteer.

"5. Can I volunteer for jury service?
No, Maryland law specifically states that volunteers for jury service must be refused. The law is Maryland Annotated Code, Courts & Judicial Proceedings Article, Section 8-102(d).

This helps ensure that the jury is selected at random and from a cross section of citizens."

We pull jurors from the voter registration rolls and the MVA. If you vote in MD sooner or later you're likely to be called (I've been summoned 4 times over the course of some 3 decades) and we can be fined up to $1000 and jailed for up to 90 days for failing to appear without notification. We can get out of it completely for undue hardship or illness but we have to make the case. But we can reschedule our summons date for things like preplanned travel.

But your jurisdiction's FAQ looks different than mine: Kent County Jury FAQ

And the City of Wyoming's looks even different: City of Wyoming Jury Duty

I like MD's better. Less confusing and more explicit. Give 'em a call, I am confident they will let you reschedule. Probably even over the phone.

That said, I've never served on a jury. In preliminary questioning they ask me my occupation, I answer "Computer Scientist". Then they follow up with is there anything in your background which would disqualify you, "Dunno, ya'll let atheists deliberate?" I have been peremptory challenged by either the prosecution or defense every time. It's like a "Get Out of Jury Duty" free card. 'Course they were all civil suits anyway (which are the vast majority of cases) and I ain't interested in listening to 2 neighbors bickering over a dog barking or an easement. Tongue

P.S. I like the 'cussing, and the accent. Big Grin Lived in Lansing when I was a kid and miss that accent.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-04-2013, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2013 01:22 PM by Peanut.)
(17-04-2013 12:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  is there anything in your background which would disqualify you, "Dunno, ya'll let atheists deliberate?" I have been peremptory challenged by either the prosecution or defense every time. It's like a "Get Out of Jury Duty" free card.
P.S. I like the 'cussing, and the accent. Big Grin Lived in Lansing when I was a kid and miss that accent.
Your whole post made me laugh, Girly!

I loved your response about atheists and deliberating Laughat (I'm going to have to save that quote.) Smile

A coworker told me that, when asked about anything that would disqualify him or cause him to be prejudice toward anyone, he replied, "I'm prejudiced against religious people... I can't take them seriously." He mentioned the same thing about the "get-out-of-jury-duty-free card" also. I will NOT be using that one.

I will check out the links; I gotta figure out what they want to hear. (Because isn't that how it goes in a courtroom? Big Grin) I'm talking in regards to telling what they wanna hear to let me possibly postpone the court date so I can still go on this vacation. Hearing that you've been called upon more than once gives me hope.

As for the "accent" you are talking about, what accent?! We don't have accents in Michigan. We say, "secretaria state" and "ya" all the time, but that's as close to "accent" as I'm willing to identify with. I don't have an awesome Australian, New Orleans, or British accent Dodgy I want one. Miso tells me I have an accent, though... I just don't "see it."

17-04-2013, 01:37 PM
(17-04-2013 01:06 PM)Peanut Wrote:  I will check out the links; I gotta figure out what they want to hear.

It really isn't a big deal, at least not in MD and I'm guessing not in MI or any other State either. I've rescheduled not only jury duty but also protesting traffic and parking tickets based on the fact I had to travel. Just tell them you've got travel planned for that date and you won't be in the State. I'm telling you it ain't gonna be a big deal. They will take the fact that you even bothered to reschedule as an indication of your commitment to citizenship. Thumbsup

(17-04-2013 01:06 PM)Peanut Wrote:  As for the "accent" you are talking about, what accent?! We don't have accents in Michigan.

Yeah, nobody thinks they have an accent. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Can't you just call them and say?. I had the same problem, I called them and they changed it so I would need to to it a few months later. The difference between us is I didn't want to do it Big Grin. Biggest waste of time ever.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
18-04-2013, 10:45 AM
I would not write a letter. I would not call.

I'd handle this personally. Come over there in person, all dressed up, and ask the official responsible how it really is. Is there a chance for a first timer jury member to decline the offer for once and be chosen for another time?

Firstly, by showing up personally you show that you care. It also allows the officials to tell you a half-official information how strict they're on this.

Secondly, a personal visit leaves no paper trace for other nosy officials to compare the quitters when putting together another jury group.

Then you can make an informed decision. I hope Girly's right. But in case he's not, personally, I'd go for the jury, simply because I don't know what's so interesting in Arizona.
18-04-2013, 11:18 AM
If they find you want to be on a jury, you'll probably get thrown out.

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.
18-04-2013, 11:35 AM
(17-04-2013 12:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That said, I've never served on a jury. In preliminary questioning they ask me my occupation, I answer "Computer Scientist". Then they follow up with is there anything in your background which would disqualify you, "Dunno, ya'll let atheists deliberate?" I have been peremptory challenged by either the prosecution or defense every time. It's like a "Get Out of Jury Duty" free card.
I've never served on a jury, although I did serve on a Courts Martial while in the military. There are some things on my resume that I think get me off every time.
  • I'm highly educated..Master of Science Degree
  • I've been the victim of a crime (burglary).
  • The Courts Martial thing I mentioned above.
  • My occupation before I retired: Scientist.
I haven't played the atheist card yet. Haven't had to.

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.