I Need Help Writing a Letter to the Court!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2013, 04:32 PM
RE: I Need Help Writing a Letter to the Court!
I'm just nervous because this is pretty much the only time blatant discrimination and stereotyping is legal and encouraged...

I am trying to figure out if I should take all the piercings out. (I worry about the eyebrow "healing," even though it's four years old. I hate practically repiercing it myself every time its out for more than a few hours.)

Anyway, I wonder if having them in would make one of the council peeps lean toward choosing me. What if that makes them think I'm easy going and non-judgmental? It can go either way!

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Go in with a shirt that says "pick me", how could you lose?

Gotta love a system that is suppose to be a fair representation of our peers in society, and open discrimination and jury fixing is a regular occurrence...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
21-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Lawyers try to pick people from the jury pool that don't have a bad experience in a similar case so that they aren't so apt to take out their bad feelings on the defendant. While doing this they also try to make the jury balanced so they aren't accused of discriminating by gender, race, etc. so the verdict isn't as apt to be challenged based on jury selection. It's a game.

I have been called for federal, county, city, and magistrate juries but only served at the magistrate level. I was either given a number to call the night before to see if I was still needed or spent hours sitting in a courtroom only to be dismissed.

Edited to add: Sat for a few hours at the city hall with a woman hugely pregnant with twins...no one had any intention of letting her go although we were dismissed because the lawyers worked out a plea deal. Several people jumped every time that poor woman moved...no one wanted to be delivering twins!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
21-04-2013, 08:43 PM
The whole process of a court case is a game not just picking a jury.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
21-04-2013, 08:59 PM
(21-04-2013 08:43 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The whole process of a court case is a game not just picking a jury.

Ah, but the opening gambit more often than not leads to the winning move.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Okay. I'm getting nervous about the upcoming court date. I REALLY, REALLY want to get picked! I BETTER get picked! I know that it's not ALL going to be based on my appearance, but first impressions ARE important. I speak really well and can state answers in a very NON rambling way, contrary to how I write in my posts Drinking Beverage

I need to know if I should keep the piercings or take 'em out for the selection thing. I feel that it could go either way.

Either side might see them and assume that I'm open-minded and easy-going. (I AM, too!) But they could also dismiss me just because I have the metal in my face. I don't normally care about what people think of my piercings, but in this case, I'm nervous. I could leave just one in.

How 'bout this, what is your first impression of me, based on this picture? BE HONEST, I can take it. Pretend you're the prosecution/defense and try to not to let the fact that you know I'm awesome make your opinion biased Big Grin Seriously, though. Please let me know what you think. (I am NOT "fishing for compliments," by the way! I'm seriously trying to figure out what to do.)

[Image: 558974_10200356818276300_1837225617_n.jpg]

Okay, this is the most recent picture I could find Dodgy Facebook picture... You can't even see my eyebrow piercing. (Normally CAN'T anyway.) Whatever. I promise to not roll my eyes when they ask questions and I won't be wearing a bow in my hair and I'll have a more "conservative" outfit on.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
29-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Do you have a piercing in your upper lip or is just a crumb? if so, that could go away, is the most shocking in my opinion, the lower lip makes you more accessible, leave that one Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
29-04-2013, 08:24 PM
(29-04-2013 08:21 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Do you have a piercing in your upper lip or is just a crumb? if so, that could go away, is the most shocking in my opinion, the lower lip makes you more accessible, leave that one Big Grin

Dodgy lol It's a piercing... No. NO... I said I'll be fine. I can take an honest opinion.

Laughat

29-04-2013, 08:41 PM
(29-04-2013 08:24 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(29-04-2013 08:21 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Do you have a piercing in your upper lip or is just a crumb? if so, that could go away, is the most shocking in my opinion, the lower lip makes you more accessible, leave that one Big Grin

Dodgy lol It's a piercing... No. NO... I said I'll be fine. I can take an honest opinion.

Laughat

I'd leave the eyebrow and lose the 2 lip piercings. That still gives the free spirit but looks more professional. Good Luck getting picked.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
30-04-2013, 04:44 PM
(29-04-2013 08:24 PM)Peanut Wrote:  

Laughat

No hardware. None. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user